shakestreet

Scott Kingery 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

Batting 6th. Finally dropped out of that top spot.

Hopefully this gets him going again.

Scott Kingery - Month of July Stats: .191 Batting Average; 39 strikeouts (Lead MLB)

Lol.... I think he is starting to show last year was no fluke.

2 minutes ago, 20Duval904 said:

Sat him today and he goes 3/4 with a run, SB, and 2 RBI... of course.

You are likely far from the only one.  I actually cut him late last night after benching him for yesterday's games, and now he finally has his first good game in ages. That is how it works too often.

Oh well.  I still like him long term, as K's weren't this big of an issue for Kingery in the minors (or even last season), but one really good game doesn't completely erase how awful he's been this month.  I know it's convenient to say that now after saying I cut him, but even if I still had him on my bench, I'd be saying it and possibly still leaving him on my bench.

strange turn of events... dude tears up the Minors, vaulting up prospect lists and "earning" a juicy contract...  completely sucks almost all of 2018 -- one of single worst hitters in the bigs -- then this season, shows significant pop and improved approach, doing a 180 on his 2018 status and again becoming a coveted dynasty asset. 

And then came July. He's been atrocious. Just awful. Lost like Gretel without gingerbread. so the dynasty value again begins to crater, and he probably gets dropped in a lot of redrafts. 

so what do we make of him from this point forward?  I haven't a clue. It's anyones guess. 

Noticed he has 2nd base eligibility on Yahoo which makes him very interesting. Have his stats been any better this month and since his move away from the lead off spot? 

• Thanks 1

Per ESPN: last 7 games: 7/23, 3 1b, 3 2b, 1 hr, 3 r, 2 rbi, 2 sb, 4 bb/hbp, 5 k. Opponents for those games: CWS, ARI, SF.

Overall, a solid 2019 so far, compared to 2018 & always have to like the multiple eligibility.

• Thanks 1

All the position eligibility makes him look very attractive as a keeper.

In Yahoo I think he will qualify at 2B, 3B, SS, CF at least, and offers 20/20 potential. Not a fan of the ugly BB/K ratio but that could improve with more experience.

Where do you guys see him going next year? Around 100?

Does he have a starting job going into spring training 2020?

It's almost certain that Franco and Cesar have played their last games in red pinstripes, so I see no issue with playing time.  The team will make a push for Rendon, and Bohm might be ready at some point in 2020, but at worst Kingery has the starting 2B job all to himself.

I can see the Phillies making a strong run for Rendon this off season. For all the fanfare the Phillies weren't ready to stop the rebuild and injuries didn't help any. The owner still has a lot more "stupid" money to spend.

Kingery may end up as an OF.

2 hours ago, Low and Away said:

I can see the Phillies making a strong run for Rendon this off season. For all the fanfare the Phillies weren't ready to stop the rebuild and injuries didn't help any. The owner still has a lot more "stupid" money to spend.

Kingery may end up as an OF.

I don’t think the Nats are going to let another star slip away to the Phillies.  They have richest ownership group in MLB.  They let Harper go, and rightfully so.  He isn’t worth that deal.  Rendon is 10 x the hitter of Bryce Harper.  He just doesn’t whip his hair back on homers, or do obnoxious things to garner fanfare.  He quietly hits .300+ with great D, and all around fantastic hitter.  There’s a reason the Nats are going to go to the WS.  And it’s because Anthony Rendon.  They’ll pay him whatever he wants.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Thanks 2

On 10/11/2019 at 6:23 PM, Topgun said:

Does he have a starting job going into spring training 2020?

He missed what about a month or so this year with injury - seemed to play full time most of the time this year.  

I would assume Phillies will have him slotted somewhere, as who knows the new manager perhaps is not a fan of super utility guy, especially if its an old school manager, which if you are interviewing Dusty Baker, seems like you might be looking that direction. 

In traditional Roto settings, which is 20-games he is 3B or OF only, didnt reach 20 at SS or 2B, that said, his steals could be nice value at 3B.  

6 hours ago, parrothead said:

In traditional Roto settings, which is 20-games he is 3B or OF only, didnt reach 20 at SS or 2B, that said, his steals could be nice value at 3B. 

Depends on different platforms what is "traditional."  With Yahoo roto (and head-to-head and points ... why does the "format" matter as in the settings are the same default in all formats on a platform, right?) leagues he is eligible at 2B, SS, 3B and OF (or CF and LF in leagues that divide up the OF position).

I don't remember if at Yahoo the min. game played requirement is 10 or 15. If it is 10 then he would qualify at LF, CF, SS, 2B, and 3B.

Pretty decent bet for 20/20.

4 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

the doubles and triples line didn't go over my head.

Huh, I don't get it either!   :)

On 10/11/2019 at 11:00 PM, Cmilne23 said:

I don’t think the Nats are going to let another star slip away to the Phillies.  They have richest ownership group in MLB.  They let Harper go, and rightfully so.  He isn’t worth that deal.  Rendon is 10 x the hitter of Bryce Harper.  He just doesn’t whip his hair back on homers, or do obnoxious things to garner fanfare.  He quietly hits .300+ with great D, and all around fantastic hitter.  There’s a reason the Nats are going to go to the WS.  And it’s because Anthony Rendon.  They’ll pay him whatever he wants.

It's funny that Harper garnered all the hype and attention and fanfare, while Rendon has quietly been an all-around stud for most of his career -- and continues to rise. He is a sublime hitter. Truly. I have mixed feelings about piling on Harper, but his general demeanor and "pseudo-swag" kind of lends itself toward dislike. I'll take Rendon's three top-10 MVP finishes to Harper's 2. His infinitely better defense. His far more controlled plate approach. What baseball skill does Harper have over Rendon?? Batting practice power?

It's a stark contrast of huge ego and quiet humility. The funny thing is, the egotistical guy is good, but the humble guy is great. 

I'm feeling tapped out on the Harper jabs though. I'll probably take a break for a while and channel my misdirected resentments toward Astros players. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 1