• Announcements

• tonycpsu

Comments on New Forum Design (UPDATED with workarounds)   02/12/2019

We are aware that the current layout of the Rotoworld forums is not going over well, and we feel your pain.  Please direct any comments about the new look of the forums to help@rotoworld.com, or to this thread. For those who are able to install user styles, (e.g. with the Stylish addon for Firefox or Chrome), you may wish to try a couple of user-created alternative styles. RW Forums Tweaks by tonycpsu Rotoworld Forums Dark Mode by sngehl01  
Sign in to follow this  
B&F

Luke Voit 2019 Outlook

Is this cat going to hold onto the starting 1B spot?  

• Like 1

Image result for i believe gif

so i think its his job to lose in spring training.  he would have to be just awful and bird would have to hit 400 with power.  but if its mid may and hes hitting 190, and bird is looking good in AAA then i could see there being a short leash.  1b is shallow IMO this year so ill be taking voit as a CI or UTL player in deeper leagues.  im still trying to target Freeman and Goldie in the 2nd, or something like Hoskins or rizzo in the 3rd or 4th.

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 2

I also think it's his job to lose. If he resembles anything like the player he was when coming over to NY, he'll win the job. Huge power supply in that batting order making the Yanks a dangerous team.

4 hours ago, B&F said:

I say NO.

It is going to be the Greg Bird year... finally. Make sure you draft the Birdman 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shakestreet said:

I say NO.

It is going to be the Greg Bird year... finally. Make sure you draft the Birdman 

Might be a good cuff for Voit.

6 hours ago, shakestreet said:

I say NO.

please dont get Brock and i started

• Like 2

Considering that most of his power goes to right/center, and the short right porch in Yankees Stadium, I think this could be a huge year for Voit. Can't see the Yanks giving Bird time over him unless he struggles hard.

While there's little doubt his BA will regress, I think that if Voit holds the job he's a good source of 30+ HR on the cheap.  I also would like to see how he looks in ST.

8 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

please dont get Brock and i started

this would be the year if I'm out on him

• Like 1

“Voit put exactly 100 balls in play (BBE) last year, and 54 percent of them left his bat at 95 mph or greater—good for 3rd in the league among all players with a minimum 100 BBE, behind only Miguel Cabrera and Aaron Judge.”

Voit produced barrels in 12.4 percent of his at-bats down the stretch, a mark that was tops in the league among all batters with a minimum 100 BEE. These figures help explain why 19 of Voit’s 44 hits (43 percent) went for extra-bases, and why 14 of those went for home runs: these weren’t cheap hits.”

All in.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Don't know if people realize it. but last year Voit (granted it wasn't a big sample size) was one of the best hitters in all of baseball, up there with Trout and JD Martinez.  He has a lot of room to regress and still be well above average.

Very interested to see what happens this year. He's a tremendous value if you believe in him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BMcP said:

“Voit put exactly 100 balls in play (BBE) last year, and 54 percent of them left his bat at 95 mph or greater—good for 3rd in the league among all players with a minimum 100 BBE, behind only Miguel Cabrera and Aaron Judge.”

Voit produced barrels in 12.4 percent of his at-bats down the stretch, a mark that was tops in the league among all batters with a minimum 100 BEE. These figures help explain why 19 of Voit’s 44 hits (43 percent) went for extra-bases, and why 14 of those went for home runs: these weren’t cheap hits.”

All in.

The stats and behind the scenes peripherals all look good. Just a matter of if he will be able to keep it up over a full season or if he just got hot at right time. Worth a gamble at these prices. 

6 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

While there's little doubt his BA will regress, I think that if Voit holds the job he's a good source of 30+ HR on the cheap.  I also would like to see how he looks in ST.

The question is how much. I think everyone knows he's not hitting .322 but will it be .250 or .280. Based on his minor league profile I'd guess something closer to the .280. He's not a home run or strikeout guy. Bonus for OBP league players as well with his walks.

On 2/10/2019 at 1:34 PM, B&F said:

I think its his job to lose. That being said, Bird has had some extremely good Springs so its something to monitor. However, the uncertainty could give us a huge bargain. May be stuck with a platoon early on but again at this price he's worth 50% of the playing time to see if he can carry over last year's production.

Im always super cautious about the out of no where 2nd half studs. September call ups and teams mailing it mean competition becomes weaker overall.

He did hit 5 bombs before september.

I certainly dont question the raw power and the performance was sooo redic hes worth a flier. Not much higher HR/RBI/R upside that late. 

Just saw this tweet in a Yahoo article from October. Long time ago but still encouraging.

• Like 1

Encouraging. Thanks for the posts fellas!

Voit was playing ahead of Bird in the playoffs last year so that definitely says something about upper managements thoughts on the two players. Should be interesting to see how it plays out but Voit should have the leg up heading into ST

8 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Just saw this tweet in a Yahoo article from October. Long time ago but still encouraging.

Is this Greg Bird 2017 all over again?
Well Voit is not like a star player or something. He has no guaranteed job, he is a spare part. So when he slumps, than Bird will play more. And if Bird hits,, than it will be Bird's job to lose. There's no question about it.

Or LeMahieu's.
Or even Tulo could be healthy at the right time, and check in at 1st after Gregorius is back.
That's how it works.

Voit is ranked where he is for a good reason.

Edited by JCD
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, JCD said:

Is this Greg Bird 2017 all over again?
Well Voit is not like a star player or something. He has no guaranteed job, he is a spare part. So when he slumps, than Bird will play more. And if Bird hits,, than it will be Bird's job to lose. There's no question about it.

Or LeMahieu's.
Or even Tulo could be healthy at the right time, and check in at 1st after Gregorius is back.
That's how it works.

Voit is ranked where he is for a good reason.

He's ranked where I want him to be ranked. Ripe with profit potential. The best values come with general uncertainty. 

He could very well be 2017/2018 Greg Bird.  Greg Bird never hit as well in the majors as Voit did in his Yankees stint last year. Voit was #4 in DRC+ in the entire league. Current DRC+ projections on pecota have him as the 22nd best hitter in the league. Of course that's not for fantasy, he'll have no speed component to his game and there's a chance the average might dip to 250-260, it could also stay much higher. The potential here is he's a top 5 1b heading into next season.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Yeah, great. Then I looked up Greg Bird's stats from 2015:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statcast_leaderboard?year=2015&abs=100&player_type=resp_batter_id

2015 Brls/PA
3. Grichuk
4. Gutierrez
6. Sano
7. Chris Davis
11. Greg Bird
(Intentionally I left out the obvious star players)

Bird was 11th. Not #1 but I'd say close to Voit.
By the way only Gutierrez managed to hit over .240 the next season. Yeah he hit a cool .246.
So Im not that ecstatic like this guy with his monster season prediction.

Oh and don't forget to sort the list by Hard hit % ;)
Familiar name at the top.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JCD said:

Yeah, great. Then I looked up Greg Bird's stats from 2015:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statcast_leaderboard?year=2015&abs=100&player_type=resp_batter_id

2015 Brls/PA
3. Grichuk
4. Gutierrez
6. Sano
7. Chris Davis
11. Greg Bird
(Intentionally I left out the obvious star players)

Bird was 11th. Not #1 but I'd say close to Voit.
By the way only Gutierrez managed to hit over .240 the next season. Yeah he hit a cool .246.
So Im not that ecstatic like this guy with his monster season prediction.

Oh and don't forget to sort the list by Hard hit % ;)
Familiar name at the top.

These are all fair points. I was big on Bird too. I'd love to know what went wrong with him. Is it just injury related? Maybe his bat speed was a lot slower.  Personally if anyone has good insight on why Gred Bird was awful after 2015 I'm all ears. He didnt play in 2016, so he missed a full year due to injuries. Could just be that he was never the same again.

• Like 2

LUUUUUUUUUUUKE! 🤴🏼

I made sure my first post of 2019 was on this thread. There's not 1 other guy on my squad I'm more pumped for than Voit. The Yanks love this guy and their reasons are readily apparent as most of you cited above already. I forgot where I read it but they've been trying to snatch him up for quite some time before last mid-season. Also read they reaffirmed that sentiment to him when he started to take off. Something along the lines of "we knew you could do this". Crazy that Cashman got him for CHASEN SHREVE LOL! 

Aside from the fact that this dude could lift a house with one arm, the most impressive thing I saw from him last year was his propensity to drive the ball the other way. It was truly a beautiful and welcome sight as a Yankee and baseball fan with most players today trying to swing out of their shoes and pull the ball to the moon. Out of his 14 bombs last year with the Yanks I believe only 3 were pulled. 

I'll say that again - **ONLY THREE of 14** were pulled. The rest were driven to dead center or right field. Can anyone look up if that approach plays well in Yankee Stadium? I'm genuinely curious. It's as if he is the lefty power bat they've been looking for.

Barring any more additions and assuming Voit keeps mashing, I can see him being slotted in between Judge and Stanton the way Bird was supposed to. Can anyone also look up if that spot in the order would be good for fantasy implications? 😍 Regardless of where he hits, he is in a prime spot for counting stats being in that stacked lineup and division. 

Only thing that worries me about Voit is the defense. I can see situations where he will be subbed out for Bird late in games for a defensive upgrade the same way they treated Andújar at points in the season. They obviously want to give Bird another shot if only to keep the pressure on Voit.

Obviously, there's a ton of risk with Voit but the potential upside is just as juicy (if not more) as it was with Bird before the injuries. Only difference is we've seen Voit produce far above anything Bird has done as a Yankee and that goes a long way. 

Edited by DannyMcPot
  • Like 4

[Removed Cool Story]

And he's always hit a fair amount, but that was really something else last 6-8 weeks of the regular season. It also looked viable from the underlying metrics!

Even for minimum costs I won't be keeping him around on my 12 and 14 teamers, but in my deeper formats I will...The defense is worrisome in a way, but he also might be able to find 2 games a week at DH too, no? It just has to be a huge boost for him to go to ST for the first time ever with the near lock assurances of not only making a roster, but also being locked into ABs. IF he was a few years younger I suppose I would be more excited in keeper leagues...but still plenty of prime years possible here.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

4 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Love Voit this year, but I assume he becomes worthless with a Machado signing?

Very tough to say but it's a definite possibility assuming they move Andújar to 1B. There's a ton of moving parts here in the Yanks infield with Machado. Does he start over Tulo at SS? Does Andújar move to an already clogged DH? Where does Gleyber and DJL fit into all of this?

All you can do is hope they give Voit a shot to play because the kid definitely earned it. But this mess of an infield is a real threat to Voit even without Machado.

• Like 1