B&F

Luke Voit 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KingJoffrey said:

Surprising, he's never gone abover 3 in any of my mock drafts

People actually participate in auction mock drafts and really give a s--- on what they bid?

Edited by shakestreet
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

People actually participate in auction mock drafts and really give a s--- on what they bid?

Sometimes..you got to follow the "Trout test".  If Mike Trout doesn't go above $55 then you generally have a group trying to keep it real.

50 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

Just yoked another.  Beast!

Now watch Bird do the same - just can't get any separation between them (speaking as a Voit but not Bird owner).

Posted (edited)

Don’t kill the messenger just giving a hypothetical stance.  Could you argue Yankees would be better off (when everyone is healthy) having Hicks in CF, Judge in RF, Stanton in LF, Bird/Voit split 1B/DH and Gardner spells guys vs RHP in OF to move Stanton to DH on those days?  Has this idea been tossed around?  Gardner is solid but he’s 35 coming off a .690 OPS season, does exposing him to less reps make more sense?

Edited by Cmilne23

1 minute ago, Cmilne23 said:

Don’t kill the messenger just giving a hypothetical stance.  Could you argue Yankees would be better off (when everyone is healthy) having Hicks in CF, Judge in RF, Stanton in LF, Bird/Voit split 1B/DH and Gardner spells guys vs RHP in OF to move Stanton to DH on those days?  Has this idea been tossed around?  Gardner is solid but he’s 35 coming off a .690 OPS season, does exposing him to less reps make more sense?

Where does Gary Sanchez play when not catching?  Doesn't he nab a lot of DH starts.

They should try and trade Bird before he goes down the tubes again with another foot thing or whatever it will be this time.

5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Where does Gary Sanchez play when not catching?  Doesn't he nab a lot of DH starts.

They should try and trade Bird before he goes down the tubes again with another foot thing or whatever it will be this time.

In reality you probably have Sanchez DH once a week, Hicks is pretty fragile so give him a day a week with Gardner in CF, Bird plays probably 4 times a week, Gardner 2-3.  That’s based on my example above.  OF D could be ugly with Stanton and Judge at corners a ton.  Just tossing out a hypothetical.  Your scenario of trading makes more sense.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

This is great for fantasy baseball and as a Voit and Bird owner, I’d love it. But my guess is the Yankees know they have a ton of offense and would like to help their pitchers out with a better defender in the OF. And while he’s not what he used to be in the OF, I’m assuming Gardner is still a better defender than Stanton.

Full time role would be nice. Looking like they will spell each other, at this point. Both are on fire and great assets to their team.

5 minutes ago, lavaman said:

Full time role would be nice. Looking like they will spell each other, at this point. Both are on fire and great assets to their team.

But Bird always has a good spring and we know how the story ends.  We shall see soon.

• Like 1

They should keep playing them both, at this rate they'll combine for 100 HR's this season.

Anything+you+can+do+I+can+do+better.gif

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

They should keep playing them both, at this rate they'll combine for 100 HR's this season.

Anything+you+can+do+I+can+do+better.gif

90 for Voit though, right?

• Haha 4

I posted I thought Bird would get the gig, but this guy has done nothing but produce. Period. Gotta give him props. Appears to not be a one hit wonder. 

2 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Yankees are hellbent on having 13 pitchers on the roster, so the math just doesn't work. Hicks, Gardner, Judge, Stanton are locks in the OF. Sanchez and Romine are locks at Catcher. Torres, Tulowitzki, and DJL are locks in middle infield. Andujar a lock at 3B. Leaves 2 spots. It is much more likely Tyler Wade makes the team due to the versatility. DJL can back up 1B so they don't need a backup. If they kept Bird and Voit it would only leave one backup for all of 3B, SS, and 2B.

5 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

This is great for fantasy baseball and as a Voit and Bird owner, I’d love it. But my guess is the Yankees know they have a ton of offense and would like to help their pitchers out with a better defender in the OF. And while he’s not what he used to be in the OF, I’m assuming Gardner is still a better defender than Stanton.

The minute Gardner top tier speed loses a few more steps, might not be a huge difference. He was top 40 in sprint speed last year. Yet he's gonna be 35 now. Stanton does have a much stronger arm and was decent in the 60ish games out there.

3 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Yankees are hellbent on having 13 pitchers on the roster, so the math just doesn't work. Hicks, Gardner, Judge, Stanton are locks in the OF. Sanchez and Romine are locks at Catcher. Torres, Tulowitzki, and DJL are locks in middle infield. Andujar a lock at 3B. Leaves 2 spots. It is much more likely Tyler Wade makes the team due to the versatility. DJL can back up 1B so they don't need a backup. If they kept Bird and Voit it would only leave one backup for all of 3B, SS, and 2B.

AL teams do this though. One only extra at 2B, 3B, SS. Its pretty easy to call someone up the next day if someone gets hurt. Blue Jay's are likely doing this off the top of my head.

13 hours ago, reichl555 said:

But Bird always has a good spring and we know how the story ends.  We shall see soon.

Exactly, he sucks against major league pitching. As a Voit believer, as long as he's hitting which he is, I don't care what Bird's doing. Only would've been worried if Voit was struggling.

Bird might stay up if Hicks hits the shelf, but after that it's bye bye Birdy. If Voit is hitting cleanup it could be awesome this year. Either way I love him in that lineup/park after what he showed last year, and with 1B being so ugly this year.

Just now, Jesus Shuttlesworth said:

Voit might not have the upper hand only because gardner is the only left handed bat currently penciled in.... bird is a lefty

Voit has the upper hand because he was one of the best hitters in baseball when he was a Yankee last year. It wasn't like he was just solid, he was super elite. If you're going to take that out of the lineup for Greg Bird, I feel like you have to be pretty convinced that's the right thing to do and I'm not sure there's going to be enough in ST to do that, especially with Voit also mashing.

• Like 3

Although Voit only has about 300 major league plate appearances, he is considerably better against right handed pitching than Bird. Bird has reverse platoon splits so his lefty bat isn't a platoon advantage.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, shirazmuz said:

2 more hits and a stolen base.  Bird was pitch hit after 2 ABs, anyone know why?

Got hit in the elbow but with his history he should be A-OK 👌

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

52 minutes ago, shirazmuz said:

2 more hits and a stolen base.  Bird was pitch hit after 2 ABs, anyone know why?

Time for the catcher to retire 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/19/2019 at 7:16 PM, reichl555 said:

23 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Wash rinse repeat 

Hicks?  He had another setback dealing with a bad back.  There's a chance Bird and Voit both make the team