B&F

Luke Voit 2019 Outlook

Bird going for elbow x-ray after HBP

*insert Jack Nicholson nodding gif here*

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 2/12/2019 at 12:02 PM, brockpapersizer said:

These are all fair points. I was big on Bird too. I'd love to know what went wrong with him. Is it just injury related? Maybe his bat speed was a lot slower.  Personally if anyone has good insight on why Gred Bird was awful after 2015 I'm all ears. He didnt play in 2016, so he missed a full year due to injuries. Could just be that he was never the same again.

It was only injuries that derailed him. He’s the same as he was in 2015: a high strikeout high power hitter.

Bird is back in the lineup tomorrow. Good chance him and Voit both make the team.

Voit is the opening day starter though.  Voit is going so late in drafts its crazy. I didn't have a place for him but had to stash him on my bench. He's a starter on my first team though.

There's always something with Bird and all these injuries have derailed his career development.

The only thing holding me back was a point made by one of the Yankees beat writers - Voit is another righty in a lineup filled to the brim with righties. Bird would be a rare left handed batter for them, and you know how much managers love breaking up their lineups and playing matchups with opposing pitchers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

The only thing holding me back was a point made by one of the Yankees beat writers - Voit is another righty in a lineup filled to the brim with righties. Bird would be a rare left handed batter for them, and you know how much managers love breaking up their lineups and playing matchups with opposing pitchers.

Unless ALL those righties can't hit righties then what is thee problem?  The Yankees don't exactly have a team of platoon players. Don't know how Boone is but most modern managers go by the actually abilities of players and not which side of the plate they stand.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

This theory makes sense if Bird can hit but he can’t do that in the regular season.  We seen that before.  Maybe he surprises everyone this year but I doubt it.

In his 311 plate appearances last season Greg Bird managed a dreadful 73 wRC+ vs right handed pitching and a 109 vs left handed pitching. He has reverse platoon splits and unless he makes significant progress he will probably be worse against right handers than Luke Voit who for his short career has hit righties for a 135 wRC+. Greg Bird does not have a lefty platoon advantage. He should not start against right handed hitters with Luke Voit healthy.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chaco Chicken said:

In his 311 plate appearances last season Greg Bird managed a dreadful 73 wRC+ vs right handed pitching and a 109 vs left handed pitching. He has reverse platoon splits and unless he makes significant progress he will probably be worse against right handers than Luke Voit who for his short career has hit righties for a 135 wRC+. Greg Bird does not have a lefty platoon advantage. He should not start against right handed hitters with Luke Voit healthy.

Bird has been dreadful for years not just last year.

just remember it’s a new year ... Maybe (fingers are crossed) (# 1 Yankee fan), he gets his s--- together and finally produces. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, reichl555 said:

This theory makes sense if Bird can hit but he can’t do that in the regular season.  We seen that before.  Maybe he surprises everyone this year but I doubt it.

No it does not. Voit proved it last season for the 2 months he played regularly, that can hit righties. He did the sam in the minors.

Maybe you did,
What others saw that Bird was injured or coming off injury or surgery. But he was good prior to that.
And this is what the Yankees front office saw, and that is the reason they have this competition.

2 hours ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

It didn't stop the Dodgers from benching Muncy against lefties all last year 😶

What does that have to do with the Yankees?  Does Dave Roberts suddenly manage the Yanks too?

2 hours ago, Chaco Chicken said:

Also this.

Oh I know Voit is good, and a better hitter than Bird. He should win the job, but I'm just throwing out the other factors - Managers being set in their ways, conventional baseball wisdom vs what the splits say, managing players as people (not having a sourpuss on your hands if you demote him)... all that stuff can and does come into play.

• Like 1

Voit went in the 7th round of a 12 team h2h I'm in.  I wanted him on my team but never expected he'd go that early. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Steamer only has him at 19 HR and 62 RBI this year.  

How many at-bats?  I do think he's getting overrated quite a bit though.  But that seems low. 

Edited by Baseball Jonze

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Baseball Jonze said:

How many at-bats?

456 PA's

111 games

Edited by gbill2004

CBS, while the optimal playing platform, always has wonky projection/ratings.

He's high on the board, so it's difficult extracting value, there projection: 439 ABs .289/.371/.588 with 30 HRs 90 RBI

No Voit post in over 24 hours?!?!? CBS has him projected for 30 bombs, 90 rbis, and a .290 average.... Let's goooooooo

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, 6Kill said:

No Voit post in over 24 hours?!?!? CBS has him projected for 30 bombs, 90 rbis, and a .290 average.... Let's goooooooo

90 RBI low if he hits 30 HR and hits .290

• Like 2

30 HR's, 90+RBI's very obtainable in that lineup. Reasonable to expect .290 BA? I'm thinking more around .275 'ish?

• Like 1

Just now, Saucy said:

Is he healthy?

Why? Did you just see something?

He was DH today. They all played half a game and then were replaced.  DJ Lemahieu was the 1B and replaced with Bird in the 5th inning.  Voit is good to go.

• Like 1