Sign in to follow this  
CrypTviLL

Jesus Aguilar 2019 Outlook

Been holding, but if he keeps riding the pine this weekend, think I'm just gonna cut bait, which is frustrating because he's finally swinging a decent bat, and just not getting any starts....

3 minutes ago, TheChamp said:

Been holding, but if he keeps riding the pine this weekend, think I'm just gonna cut bait, which is frustrating because he's finally swinging a decent bat, and just not getting any starts....

Frustrating that he started to turn the corner a couple of weeks ago and instead of letting him run with it a bit they continued to platoon him/give him a ton of days off. 

4th straight game on the bench. I guess this is the end of the line for me. Sad because he did start to turn it around yet they keep yanking him in and out of the lineup instead of allowing him to get hot. Guess they never believed in what he did last year even though a lot of the advanced metrics seemed to think it was legit. 

Posted (edited)

Really surprised the brewers decided to bench him like this especially after last year. [...]

Edited by tonycpsu

3 hours ago, rhg1084 said:

Really surprised the brewers decided to bench him like this especially after last year. [...]

Have you watched him this season? Swinging a sword, fell off a cliff.

4 hours ago, mevins31 said:

Have you watched him this season? Swinging a sword, fell off a cliff.

He has been awful but inherently he is not this bad.  Baseball is mental, a game of rhythm and from the beginning they destroyed his confidence and rhythm by jerking him in and out of the lineup.  They did the exact same thing to Domingo Santana last year and look how good he's been in Seattle with consistent everyday at bats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EduardoJorge27 said:

Anyone got any good insight on this guy? Just cleared my waivers

i think unless you play in a pretty deep league, i wouldn't pick him up. at best, monitor closely, and the second he starts smelling like 2018, pick him up

Two starts in the last 3 days resulting in 3HR total. Since May 1st he is hitting .265 in 106 ABs with 5HR and a 30:20 K:BB ratio. 

The HR per 21 ABs is a little lower than the HR every 16 ABs he has averaged over the last two seasons. The .265 average over that span is only slightly lower than the .271 average he has over the past two seasons. The K:BB ratio is much better as is the K per AB. 

I realize this is taking into account a small sample size but so is his 13 for 80 start to the season that pretty much regulated him to a bench role. 

Am I the only one that doesn't believe last year was a fluke? Any chance we could see Thames get more OF starts, meaning more starts for Aguilar? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, corey_rideout said:

Two starts in the last 3 days resulting in 3HR total. Since May 1st he is hitting .265 in 106 ABs with 5HR and a 30:20 K:BB ratio. 

The HR per 21 ABs is a little lower than the HR every 16 ABs he has averaged over the last two seasons. The .265 average over that span is only slightly lower than the .271 average he has over the past two seasons. The K:BB ratio is much better as is the K per AB. 

I realize this is taking into account a small sample size but so is his 13 for 80 start to the season that pretty much regulated him to a bench role

Am I the only one that doesn't believe last year was a fluke? Any chance we could see Thames get more OF starts, meaning more starts for Aguilar? 

I agree completely. I put much more stock in his entire 2018 performance than his 13 for 80 in Mar/Apr. And as you said he has been much better lately.

don't own Aguilar, see this tweet with numbers.

3 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

don't own Aguilar, see this tweet with numbers.

That is with spotty playing time though making him daily league dependent...they are shielding him from any competent pitcher

Well since weekly leagues are very rare that isn't too much of a problem.  The problem is if he can get more ABs in general to give you more "quantity" stats.  Or will he continue to platoon with Eric Thames long term.  So it doesn't just depend on him alone but him coupled with Thames' performance as well.

Traded to the Rays apparently, where playing time likely wont be any easier to come by.

8 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

Traded to the Rays apparently, where playing time likely wont be any easier to come by.

In the AL, if you can hit you can play 

Just now, Ham Porter said:

In the AL, if you can hit you can play 

In that case Jesus is in trouble.

• Haha 3

He's actually been hitting well of late.  The problem is the playing time.  He's been getting limited ABs, and I'm not sure if that's going to change in Tampa.  They tend to play match up oriented ball, and while the availability of the DH will help, I don't think he's going to get FT play unless he mashes.  Certainly going to the AL is an improvement due to the DH alone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

He's actually been hitting well of late.  The problem is the playing time.  He's been getting limited ABs, and I'm not sure if that's going to change in Tampa.  They tend to play match up oriented ball, and while the availability of the DH will help, I don't think he's going to get FT play unless he mashes.  Certainly going to the AL is an improvement due to the DH alone.

over the last 2 weeks he is 4/23 with 1 RBI.....how is that "hitting well  of late"??

😂

3 minutes ago, RyanM915 said:

does this make Thames an everyday player?

Not likely since they have Shaw back up now.  My guess is Shaw and Thames will platoon at 1B with Shaw spelling Moose at 3b on occasion as well.

22 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

In that case Jesus is in trouble.

I'd give you a smiley face but apparently I have given away too many of them and my quota is used up on today of all days with the trade deadline begging for more of them, sigh.  Anyway here is one this forum can't block for you.  😀

8 minutes ago, David Aames said:

how does this effect T D'arnaud's playing time at 1b?

We'll have to wait and see. It would be a real shame for d'Arnaud to lose PT after this trade because he's been smoking the ball lately. 

1 hour ago, David Aames said:

how does this effect T D'arnaud's playing time at 1b?

Well Aguilar can't hit lefties, and d'Arnaud can't hit righties. So between C, DH, and 1B vs lefties I don't see it impacting him that much