Sign in to follow this  
CrypTviLL

Jesus Aguilar 2019 Outlook

Is he a platoon hitter now? It's staggering how bad things have gone for him so far.

I had him very cheap in a keeper contracts league and chose to only give one year after much deliberating, as he tailed off last year. Boy am I glad I didn't give him a long contract, someone in a twin league to mine gave him a 3 year deal in the same situation...

As a result I'm getting a very ichy trigger finger and pretty much ready to pull the plug on this guy. Finding emerging hitters like H Dozier are making the decision easier too. 

Move on people, it's unfortunate but he can't be rostered until he shows signs of life and an everyday role. Both seem unrealistic as of now

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. From Razzball:

Eric Thames – 2-for-4, 2 runs and his 5th homer, hitting .273. In related news, Jesus Aguilar ate a cruller without getting frosting on his hands, then told everyone in the clubhouse calling it his Cruller Report.

Posted (edited)

According my leagues rating system (Fantrax), Aguilar is the worst owned player in our 11 team league (Not counting injured players). He cant be suddenly this bad,  but I guess playing time is becoming the real issue.

Edited by RoadApple

I don't understand the agonizing (12-team leagues). I've dropped players easily more reputable than Aguilar for lesser slumps than he's had to date. Keeping the roster freshly stocked with potential studs rather than slumping "not-quite-there-yets" like Aguilar is a better (and more fun) strategy imo. 

Aguilar is not worth the agony unlike other slumping but more proven players such as Mazara, Castallanos, etc who are also slumping hard right now. Brewers have other guys who can do what Aguilar can do and he's lost right now plain and simple.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I don't understand the agonizing (12-team leagues). I've dropped players easily more reputable than Aguilar for lesser slumps than he's had to date. Keeping the roster freshly stocked with potential studs rather than slumping "not-quite-there-yets" like Aguilar is a better (and more fun) strategy imo. 

Aguilar is not worth the agony unlike other slumping but more proven players such as Mazara, Castallanos, etc who are also slumping hard right now. Brewers have other guys who can do what Aguilar can do and he's lost right now plain and simple.

I've been lucky enough to do that while holding onto him as well. I've grabbed Walker, Diaz, Winker and Meadows. Aguilar will sit on my bench right now for another few weeks since I'm able to afford that by picking those guys up. I know others are not as fortunate, but if you're able to hold, I would. 

He's certainly not THIS bad. However, like another poster said, if PT becomes a factor then he could be an easy drop. But he could just be getting a few days to clear his head. Like I said, I'm going to hold for a bit longer, but don't blame you if you dropped him. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MoonyGray said:

Out of the lineup AGAIN. I know it's deGrom, but still. He officially DEAD.

Is that three in a row

1 minute ago, taobball said:

Is that three in a row

This will be the fourth in a row now. But he did have two PH appearances in the last four...

Anyone familiar with this thread knows I've been hopeful, but the end has come. He's sitting against lefties and righties now and will never gain any momentum with pinch hitting appearances only. Deep benches may be able to weather this, but anyone else can move on at this point IMO.

• Like 1

I'll get blasted for this but, if you can, I'd hang on because I think they're giving him time off to get things straightened out. 

http://www.creamcitycentral.com/brewers/should-jesus-aguilar-be-starting-at-first/#

There's a quote from the hitting coach saying he's not worried (take it for what it's worth). But I find it hard to believe they're just moving on already. I think he's gonna get his shot again sometime in the next two weeks. If he continues to suck at that time, then I'll drop. 

3 minutes ago, Bit711 said:

I'll get blasted for this but, if you can, I'd hang on because I think they're giving him time off to get things straightened out. 

http://www.creamcitycentral.com/brewers/should-jesus-aguilar-be-starting-at-first/#

There's a quote from the hitting coach saying he's not worried (take it for what it's worth). But I find it hard to believe they're just moving on already. I think he's gonna get his shot again sometime in the next two weeks. If he continues to suck at that time, then I'll drop. 

Is there an actual article there? All I see are ads. 

Grandal starting at 1B earlier this week was the final straw for me. They may be saying they're not worried about him, but the actions don't back that up. A pinch-hitting appearance every other game is not the answer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Is there an actual article there? All I see are ads. 

Here's the quote from the article:

Brewers’ hitting coach, Andy Haines, doesn’t seem too worried about Aguilar when he said, “He’s going to get that feel back and be fine. He’s just too good of a hitter to stay in this rut much longer.” 

Move on. The guy will hurt you more than help you. I'm 10000% lucky somebody offered me a trade in my league, but if not for that, at this point after 4 straight games riding the pine? Drop.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MoonyGray said:

Brewers’ hitting coach, Andy Haines, doesn’t seem too worried about Aguilar when he said, “He’s going to get that feel back and be fine. He’s just too good of a hitter to stay in this rut much longer.” 

What else is he going to say? "He's toast" ?

Actions speak louder than words. If they aren't worried about him, why'd they relegate him to a platoon ?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MoonyGray said:

That's just typical coach speak.  They say that for everyone that struggles.  The good, the bad and the ugly.  I'm afraid that means nothing since it is only a generalization they use on anyone. 

Now if he had said "we found a hairline fracture in his wrist" or "we see he is loading his bat too high compared to last year throwing off his timing" or something specific then maybe you can kind of find a small hope.  But this "we hope he can hit again sometime because he didn't suck at one time" is not what you want to hear.

Jonathan Villar in 2017.

Domingo Santana in 2018.

Jesus Aguilar in 2019?

Looks like another Brewers player is going to be a big bust after their breakout season. Which means he'll get traded by next season and be fantasy relevant again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sine_cera said:

Jonathan Villar in 2017.

Domingo Santana in 2018.

Jesus Aguilar in 2019?

Looks like another Brewers player is going to be a big bust after their breakout season. Which means he'll get traded by next season and be fantasy relevant again.

Yup.

Agreed - Aguilar will probably eventually come around too, just like those two guys did. But it probably won't happen anytime soon in my opinion, and it may not even happen this year.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre

Not even a pity start? Or try to get him going?

Thames ROS: .260/30/88

Aguilar ROS: .130/0/5

I'd say part of the problem is the batting practice he takes with the cruller. There's a big weight difference from cruller to bat, his timing is off. Needs to put the doughnut down, grab that bat like he's trying to strike down Vader and get things going. Jokes aside he's obviously going to hit better, but what kind pace he settles in at is anyone's guess. Maybe he'll Hulk smash for a month or two, but I just hate to see someone who's had success fall off a cliff. With all the bats they have to juggle, I'm wondering if he might get a trip to AAA or something.  

5 hours ago, tonywow said:

I'd say part of the problem is the batting practice he takes with the cruller. There's a big weight difference from cruller to bat, his timing is off. Needs to put the doughnut down, grab that bat like he's trying to strike down Vader and get things going. Jokes aside he's obviously going to hit better, but what kind pace he settles in at is anyone's guess. Maybe he'll Hulk smash for a month or two, but I just hate to see someone who's had success fall off a cliff. With all the bats they have to juggle, I'm wondering if he might get a trip to AAA or something.  

Does he even have options? I guess he's got to get better if only because he can't get worse but playing time is key. I'm typically a patient owner but once a guy starts to lose playing time due to performance I have a hard time letting it play out. Don't actually own him or anywhere this year but I wouldn't be happy at all if I did.