Sign in to follow this  
PizzaBeerFF

2019 Draft

8 hours ago, DurinsBane said:

Raiders fan here (sorry, that's a long story involving having only 3 TV stations as a kid and so my formative football years were watching the Snake and the Ghost hooking up in the end zone or watching Freddie Solomon "playing" QB for the Niners back in the day).

For me, it is not so much what the Raiders do (DEF, WR) as to how the organization works together to build a foundation for success. I want to see Maylock and Gruden locked in step as to what they want hope to accomplish. 

I would draft two DEF players and a WR with their firsts (of course targets of opportunity could change that) and sign Bell or Coleman to un@@ck their RB situation. I would also trade Penn to anybody who needs an OL that can walk. 

With the FA loot they have, I would also make a strong play for Mosley (ILB, Ravens) as a priority FA signing. If they do that along, let's say, a DL and DB along with a FA RB, then I would consider this a strong opening to the 2019 season. 

Then again, I could be a complete idiot....

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

You are not sir.

However, as long as Carr is the QB, it doesn't matter.

Lose for Lawrence?

1 hour ago, thebadferret said:

Lose for Lawrence?

Lawrence is gonna be a STUD

Don't know if this is true or simply the Cards putting up a smokescreen to try to trade down, but what's the likely landing place for Rosen if they (stupidly IMHO) pull the trigger on Murray?  I'm presuming they wouldn't keep both on the roster.  Could a team like NE or NO with aging superstars trade a Day 2 pick for Rosen as a potential rehabilitation project / future starter in waiting?  Rosen looked terrible in ARI but perhaps with a not terrible team around him the dude could be a completely serviceable (although probably not elite) option?  He'd be an improvement in WAS or MIA.  

According to draft insider Tony Pauline, Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury has told people at the NFL Combine that Arizona selecting Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray is already a "done deal."

Pauline acknowledges Kingsbury may not have final say on this decision -- GM Steve Keim technically has more power -- but Kingsbury is a quarterbacks coach by trade and should have just as much say regarding that position. Josh Rosen trade rumors are peaking with connections made to the Redskins and Dolphins, among others. Rosen isn't nearly as strong a fit for Kingsbury's Air Raid spread and would fit better in an offense like Jay Gruden's.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jumper said:

Don't know if this is true or simply the Cards putting up a smokescreen to try to trade down, but what's the likely landing place for Rosen if they (stupidly IMHO) pull the trigger on Murray?  I'm presuming they wouldn't keep both on the roster.  Could a team like NE or NO with aging superstars trade a Day 2 pick for Rosen as a potential rehabilitation project / future starter in waiting?  Rosen looked terrible in ARI but perhaps with a not terrible team around him the dude could be a completely serviceable (although probably not elite) option?  He'd be an improvement in WAS or MIA.  

According to draft insider Tony Pauline, Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury has told people at the NFL Combine that Arizona selecting Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray is already a "done deal."

Pauline acknowledges Kingsbury may not have final say on this decision -- GM Steve Keim technically has more power -- but Kingsbury is a quarterbacks coach by trade and should have just as much say regarding that position. Josh Rosen trade rumors are peaking with connections made to the Redskins and Dolphins, among others. Rosen isn't nearly as strong a fit for Kingsbury's Air Raid spread and would fit better in an offense like Jay Gruden's.

I kind of think its smoke, so they can get the most for their return on the 1st overall pick. I still think they want to move back and fix a lot of those gaps.

Posted (edited)

With Steven A Smith saying Drafting Murray with the first is the best move, I highly suggest you don't do it.

To your question, I guess it's just a smoke screen, but if not I think the Cardinals would be looking for a late first rounder at least. Are they going to get that? I don't think so. If the Patrios could get him for a third I would imediatly pull the trigger on that.

Edited by thebadferret

On 2/10/2019 at 10:27 PM, PizzaBeerFF said:

What are each team's needs and wish list?

The Jets need everything except QB, and maybe they're ok at DL.  That sounds like a joke, but it really isn't.

They're projected to take a pass rusher at #3, but their best bet may be trading down for multiple picks since they have so many holes to fill and are missing a second round pick.

With 100M in cap space, the Jets can go in any direction in free agency which could change who they're projected to pick at #3.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, joebaker23 said:

Thoughts on DK Metcalf? Think he can make a major splash in fantasy right out of the gate.

Very impressive combine.  Route running isn't too hot, and he had a good WR on the other side in college to draw attention away from him.  His 3 cone drill wasn't all that impressive, but DeAndre Hopkins didn't have a great 3 cone and turned out fine.

All that said, how well do you have to run routes if you're that big and fast?  Also some NFL teams expected him to run a slow 40...but he ran an incredible one...it will be interesting to see where he gets drafted.

Edited by Iron-cock

50 minutes ago, joebaker23 said:

Thoughts on DK Metcalf? Think he can make a major splash in fantasy right out of the gate.

Gets comped to Megatron as the height/weight are in the same ballpark (DK is 2" shorter but 10 pounds heavier) similar as well as the speed (4.33 vs. 4.35 in the 40 in favor of DK).  That being said who knows where he gets drafted.  First obvious fits are BUF and CAR but I'm really hoping he falls to CLE although I really, really doubt he will.  If Jets can manage a trade down he'd be a huge get for Gang Green although they probably need OL and pass rush help more than a WR.  

1 hour ago, joebaker23 said:

Only negative was his really slow shuttle time. Will need to develop as a route runner.

DK has good route running traits. Don’t confuse limited route tree with inability to run various routes. 

For whatever its worth (and any GM-speak right now should all be scrutinized) Brandon Beane is on record as believing a team doesn't need to have a prototypical #1 receiver to succeed.   He referenced it more in a free agency discussion, but if that's truly his philosophy, you can count the Bills out for taking Metcalf at 9.   I imagine they want to trade back (doesn't almost everyone?).    You can also point to the fact that his first major act as GM was to trade Sammy Watkins as supporting evidence.    

10 minutes ago, jumper said:

Gets comped to Megatron as the height/weight are in the same ballpark (DK is 2" shorter but 10 pounds heavier) similar as well as the speed (4.33 vs. 4.35 in the 40 in favor of DK).  That being said who knows where he gets drafted.  First obvious fits are BUF and CAR but I'm really hoping he falls to CLE although I really, really doubt he will.  If Jets can manage a trade down he'd be a huge get for Gang Green although they probably need OL and pass rush help more than a WR.  

I’m hoping he falls to Cleveland too. Him and Baker would be insane for both of their fantasy production.

12 minutes ago, JHM_13 said:

DK has good route running traits. Don’t confuse limited route tree with inability to run various routes. 

Derrick Henry has good running back traits.  Doesn't mean he's not missing some important ones.

Like Belichick says, though, don't tell me what a guy's bad at, tell me what he's good at.  DK is going to be a monster to deal with on the outside and he's going to open up a ton for whatever offense gets him.  

1 hour ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

I kind of think its smoke, so they can get the most for their return on the 1st overall pick. I still think they want to move back and fix a lot of those gaps.

I'm not so sure about that. You don't often see a team that just drafted a franchise QB in the 1st round the year prior float him on the trade block. I think Murry could be the real deal as well. He has athleticism and the arm. He can make all the throws. He measured in over 5'10" and had large hands.

2 hours ago, joebaker23 said:

Because of the combine?

1 hour ago, devaster said:

I'm not so sure about that. You don't often see a team that just drafted a franchise QB in the 1st round the year prior float him on the trade block. I think Murry could be the real deal as well. He has athleticism and the arm. He can make all the throws. He measured in over 5'10" and had large hands.

Hands weren't large. He'll be playing baseball in a few years.

I'm not saying anything you guys don't already know but the success of these guys has a lot to do with draft capital and landing spots.

That being said, I'd rather have a 3rd rounder drafted by the Patriots over a 1st rounder by the Raiders... :)

45 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Hands weren't large. He'll be playing baseball in a few years.

I thought his hand size was over 9 1/2 inches, larger than Mayfield measured last season.

3 hours ago, JHM_13 said:

Not that I’ve watched anything outside of his highlights...but his route running & drop-rate are listed as a downside.

1 hour ago, devaster said:

I thought his hand size was over 9 1/2 inches, larger than Mayfield measured last season.

Not sure about Baker, Kyler measured better than I anticipated tbh, I think I'm arguing semantics, as they weren't huge. 

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

Not sure about Baker, Kyler measured better than I anticipated tbh, I think I'm arguing semantics, as they weren't huge. 

I didn't say they were huge. But his hand measurements were better than the threshold used to evaluate QB's. From an arm talent and measurement standpoint he checks nearly all the boxes. With height being the only real negative to my knowledge.

Posted (edited)

Following the combine, I am only interested in a handful of offensive players at the top-ish of the draft (top 19-20 picks), and a few IDPs...landing spots will definitely be a big part of the overall evaluation process. Because of this, I just traded my two 1st RD rookie picks for two veterans to help my squad now, and I'll see what falls to me in the rook draft (current picks in signature.)

RB: RAnderson, JJacobs, MSanders, DHenderson, DMontgomery and DHarris

WR: HButler, NKHarry, AJBrown, DKMetcalf, KHarmon, PCampbell, DSamuel, DBoykin and AIsabella

TE: the usual suspects, but I'm not really inclined to invest highly with DNjoku already rostered.

DL: MSweat, RGary

LB: DWhite, JAllen and DBush

*just because they aren't listed doesn't mean I wouldn't draft them at value...

Edited by FollowTheLeader

17 hours ago, devaster said:

I didn't say they were huge. But his hand measurements were better than the threshold used to evaluate QB's. From an arm talent and measurement standpoint he checks nearly all the boxes. With height being the only real negative to my knowledge.

Murray's hands are a quarter inch larger than Mayfield (9.5 vs 9.25).  BUT in comparison, both Brees and Wilson have 10.25 inch hands FWIW.  So while his hand size did away with concerns (I think some people were worried they would be under 9 inches), I wouldn't call them large.

20 hours ago, devaster said:

Large is a synonym for huge.