Saucy

Succesful Punts?

Now that we're far enough into the season to asses (somewhat) how our teams were drafted, does anyone have any very good teams that successfully pulled off a good 9-cat punt this year? Already beginning next years preparations, as my team staring Dipo, Wall, Love, and Dejounte Murray is squarely out of contention :(

I did a punt FT%, 3PT, and I guess TO build - still strong in 6/9 cats. Emphasis on FG%, Rebounds, Steals and Blocks. Decent on Points/Assists.

My 10 team punt assists build WAS unstoppable.

2 - AD 

19 - Paul George

22 - Gobert

39 - Tobias Harris

42 - aaron gordon

59 - Covington 

Traded Covington, aaron gordon  and some minor pieces for Oladipo and some pieces. Oladipo out. Harris value tanked.  AD shut down. Some other minor pieces lost value.  I should still get #1 seed and  I'll still be in contention but it looked like a sure thing about a month ago. Now I'll be lucky 

Just now, Jimmy21 said:

My 10 team punt assists build WAS unstoppable.

2 - AD 

19 - Paul George

22 - Gobert

39 - Tobias Harris

42 - aaron gordon

59 - Covington 

Traded Covington, aaron gordon  and some minor pieces for Oladipo and some pieces. Oladipo out. Harris value tanked.  AD shut down. Some other minor pieces lost value.  I should still get #1 seed and  I'll still be in contention but it looked like a sure thing about a month ago. Now I'll be lucky 

Crazy you were able to get PG there but that is just about a perfect punt assist team as long as you round out your 3s and keep percentages strong the rest of the draft. I also have AD and Covington in a 12 team punt assist team, I suppose we both just have to reflect back to the great times they gave us earlier in the year haha

Punt blocks is going strong.

Winning PTS/FT%/3's/AST's/STLS every week. FG%/REB's/TO's are a toss-up

Punt ast for me, with emphasis on 3pm, reb, TOs  and percentages.  Only PGs on my roster are Brogdon  and White.  But I have many PFs ( T. Harris, Siakam,  Markannen, T. Young, Nance Jr.).

And I even won assists couple times

Edited by Gile Pile

I try not to punt anything necessarily, but I usually try to be very strong in FG/FT/BLK/TOV every year in H2H, which generally results in punt assists (though this year my assists worked out to be better than my boards since trades). Do pretty well by that. The efficiency cats are lower variance and less affected by differences in games played on the week.

Edited by MrJuiceBar

I had a hypothesis that I would upgrade to a theory but I want an entire year of data which I will need to keep. That could be a while being I still can't remember to log my frekin mileage for my 2nd job. So just hear me out, and see if you notice this occurring in one of your leagues (9-cat more specifically).

My hypothesis is in regards  punting and stacking categories. I believe that the 3 non-counting categories are more valuable to your team than the other 6. Here's why. 

Consider the following scenario.

Assume you draft a well rounded team who's FT%'s do not fall below 72% per player, nobody shoots below 45%, and nobody turns the ball over more than 2 times a game (very hypothetical situation). The season starts out, and within the first week you are down your 1st picks for 2 months, your 3 pick is out for the season, and your 6th pick is out until the all-star break. Well, more than likely you will still see moderate success in FT and FG %'s, and TO's even if you hold on to the guys who will return and go with an 11 man roster for a while, as opposed to a healthy 13. You can focus more on winning the other six categories while your team is injured, knowing that you have 2 or 3 in the bag still every week - all you have to do is win 2 or 3 more of 6 each week and you are above .500.

Blocks would probably top the list of the other 6 categories and their importance, followed by steals and threes (all low accumulating stats), and the rest are high volume accumulating stats that balance each other out.

So, that's about it. If it doesn't make any f***in sense and you now feel like you are a no tail-havin cat in a dark room full of rocking chairs, or you see it differently, let me know because Im all for some new perspectives on it. If you don't give two *****, then thanks for at least getting this far and pretending to give a s---:)

• Like 1

Team 1 in sig is punt FT%/TO. Team 2 is punt blocks. Another team (3) not on my sig is punt FG%. 

So far, Team 3 FG%>Team 1 FG%. Westbrook is a 3-cat punt monster

I didn't draft in a punt build but around the beginning of January I analyzed my team and turned it into a punt 3/BLK. I soft punt TO as well but I'm trying to improve in that category. I don't plan to ever draft in a punt mindset but one thing I learned is that I have to start analyzing my team earlier in the season and recognize strengths and weaknesses right from the start. The fact that I was in last place I figured was that I wasn't bad in any category but not spectacular in any either.

my Punt AST has been in first place since day one....if Im able to do this build in future drafts I will. Team in sig

I did a punt assist and my first 5 picks were kawhi, PG, LMA, Tobias and covington. Was also able to grab guys like hield, horford and lamb late in the draft. Been first since week 1

8 hours ago, ItsOjMang said:

I had a hypothesis that I would upgrade to a theory but I want an entire year of data which I will need to keep. That could be a while being I still can't remember to log my frekin mileage for my 2nd job. So just hear me out, and see if you notice this occurring in one of your leagues (9-cat more specifically).

My hypothesis is in regards  punting and stacking categories. I believe that the 3 non-counting categories are more valuable to your team than the other 6. Here's why. 

Assume you draft a well rounded team who's FT%'s do not fall below 72% per player, nobody shoots below 45%, and nobody turns the ball over more than 2 times a game (very hypothetical situation). The season starts out, and within the first week you are down your 1st picks for 2 months, your 3 pick is out for the season, and your 6th pick is out until the all-star break. Well, more than likely you will still see moderate success in FT and FG %'s, and TO's even if you hold on to the guys who will return and go with an 11 man roster for a while, as opposed to a healthy 13. You can focus more on winning the other six categories while your team is injured, knowing that you have 2 or 3 in the bag still every week - all you have to do is win 2 or 3 more of 6 each week and you are above .500.

Blocks would probably top the list of the other 6 categories and their importance, followed by steals and threes (all low accumulating stats), and the rest are high volume accumulating stats that balance each other out.

So, that's about it. If it doesn't make any f***in sense and you now feel like you are a no tail-havin cat in a dark room full of rocking chairs, or you see it differently, let me know because Im all for some new perspectives on it. If you don't give two *****, then thanks for at least getting this far and pretending to give a s---:)

Yep this is true and one of the reasons I tend to always prioritize FG%/FT%/TO. This also applies to the weekly schedule in H2H – if you're at a total games played disadvantage you can still do well, and when you have the advantage in total games played you will dominate.

Another reason to prioritize those cats is because a lot of owners overlook them naturally and go for popcorn stats.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ItsOjMang said:

It makes total sense. I am doing punt ast, with emphasis on 3pm, reb, TOs  and percentages.  The key is, in my opinion, finding players with low TOs that do not hurt you in categories they do not contribute much.  White, Brogdon, T. Harris, Siakam, Nance are perfect  for this.  Tucker is another main contributor on my team.  And also my favorite C this year, B. Lopez.  Imagine how he would fit on this Lakers team :D

• Like 1

triple punt with westbrook and simmons

will do this again next year. key is to go center heavy rather than worry about assist (after westbrook and simmons).

westbrook simmons then 4 centers is mandatory, need 5 centers total

maybe I just lucked out drafting Harrell as my 5th center and adding tomas

westbrook, simmons, Rubio, tomas

capela, lma, adams, nurk, harrell

42 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

triple punt with westbrook and simmons

will do this again next year. key is to go center heavy rather than worry about assist (after westbrook and simmons).

westbrook simmons then 4 centers is mandatory, need 5 centers total

maybe I just lucked out drafting Harrell as my 5th center and adding tomas

westbrook, simmons, Rubio, tomas

capela, lma, adams, nurk, harrell

you must have very relaxed positional requirements in your league to be able to play that many Cs

This year during the draft my team naturally formed into a punt Steals/Assists squad and I just rolled with it.  14 team H2H league, I am 14-3.

G: CJ McCollum, Klay Thompson, Will Barton (gross)

F: Tobias Harris, Kevin Durant, Nikola Mirotic

C: Brook Lopez, Lamarcus Aldridge

+ Streamers

I haven't seen much discussion online about punting steals and am curious if anyone else does it. For this build, Brolo is extremely valuable this year.

8 minutes ago, jay14bay said:

you must have very relaxed positional requirements in your league to be able to play that many Cs

can play most pf/c at - pf, f, c c, one util

I did a punt assist team and I'm 10-7 in the assist category and overall, 104-44-5 and 14-3 (10 team)

I'm 17-0 in Blocks and 14-3 in Pts, FT% and rebounds

PG - Jrue Holiday

SG - Beal

Sf - Mirotic

PF - Turner

C- KAT

Ibaka

Mal Brog

Vucevic

Cousins

Gallinari

Ayton