Sign in to follow this  
thebadferret

Los Angeles Rams 2019 Outlook

Here we are. In the year of highscoring offenses one the best of them got beaten in the super bowl. But not only beaten, destroyed....humiliated. Three points scored - THREE! The poster boy of HC and by some seen as benchmark for new coaches got schooled. What comes after this? Will it be the Seahaws route, the Falcons route or the Patriots route itself? I think nobody can assure this, but we can take a look at what is going to change and what we can expect from this team.

The Offensive Line is one of the most important units in McVays team, because it allows TG to have massive holes he can turn in to huge gains and with Goff having one of the hardest splits between pressured and not-pressured (lastly seen in the sb) it will be one of the main goals to keep that unit good. Ranked first over the first half of the season they ended up being ranked 6 over the whole last season. This offseason Left Guard Rodger Saffold's contract is up, Right Guard Austin Blyth is a liability, Left Tackle Andrew Whitworth (37) has openly weighted retirment and Center John Sullivan turns 34 now. Sullivan has been great over the first 7games only allowing 4 pressures, but faded into a void by alloweing 32 over the last 9. This unit has to be adressed in the offseason.

The LA Rams hold - with Todd Gurley - a top 3 RB in the league. What he has done doesn't have to be listet - it's well known. That changed a bit over the end of the season and the worries found their peak in the sb itself. After a minor injury TG had a bad game against the Saint in the NFC Championship game (with some crucial and critical drops) and then wasn't used to his full potential in the sb. His backup - CJ Anderson - showed some promising numbers, but (imo) the largest part of his success is hold by the offensive line. What happens with CJA this offseason is unknown as he is a Free Agent propably testing the market to cash in. Malcom Brown is also a Free Agent so the Rams will propably have to adress this position with a later draft pick.

The Receiver core is one of the best in the league with Cooks, Woods and Kupp. 

How Quarterback Jared Goff will recover from the SB loss has to be shown, but the Patriots layed out the blueprint on how to stop him and with the fading OLine you don't need the Pat's firepower on DLine to get at him.

In the end it's hard to see what will happen, but it's one of the more exciting teams to see next year.

• Like 1

The Offensive Line is one of the most important units in McVays team, because it allows TG to have massive holes he can turn in to huge gains and with Goff having one of the hardest splits between pressured and not-pressured (lastly seen in the sb) it will be one of the main goals to keep that unit good. Ranked first over the first half of the season they ended up being ranked 6 over the whole last season. This offseason Left Guard Rodger Saffold's contract is up, Right Guard Austin Blyth is a liability, Left Tackle Andrew Whitworth (37) has openly weighted retirment and Center John Sullivan turns 34 now. Sullivan has been great over the first 7games only allowing 4 pressures, but faded into a void by alloweing 32 over the last 9. This unit has to be adressed in the offseason.”

This snippet paints a misleadingly bleak picture of the Rams O-line situation.  Saffold has repeatedly expressed his desire to rejoin the Rams, even again as recently as a few days ago.  Blythe was a top-5 guard all year - “liability”?  Huh?  Sullivan’s play dropped off in the second half, but he still was excellent in the first half and in 2017.  Even if Whitworth were to retire, there are solid replacement options available both in the draft and FA, or they could see what they have in Joseph Noteboom.  Havenstein was awesome.

• Thanks 1

I'll prob be pounding Rams win total under. Expect last year to be Goffs best and to regress.

Spotrac has them with 32 mil of space right now, and they're light on draft picks so their rookie pool is low.   I see three major free agents- Suh, Saffold, and Joyner.    Should Whitworth retire, he frees up 10 million more.   I think they'll be able to fill in these holes if they can't keep these players, and they at least have their first round pick.      

They have enough of the pieces in place to easily be favored to win the division, but the coaching staff and Goff have to sharpen up a bit so teams can't exploit him 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

I'll prob be pounding Rams win total under. Expect last year to be Goffs best and to regress.

I expected them to regress last year. They proved me wrong but I'm sticking to that this year.

They'll actually have more competition in the division. Cardinals should still be an easy win but a healthy 49ers team is a legitimate playoff team and so are the Seahawks. Plus, Goff is the 3rd best QB in the division regardless. Gurley is great but as shown he is basically their entire offense. 

14 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I expected them to regress last year. They proved me wrong but I'm sticking to that this year.

They'll actually have more competition in the division. Cardinals should still be an easy win but a healthy 49ers team is a legitimate playoff team and so are the Seahawks. Plus, Goff is the 3rd best QB in the division regardless. Gurley is great but as shown he is basically their entire offense. 

For me, it's 100% about Goff. Everything around him is awesome. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I get that Goff had a miserable SB, and still hasn’t figured out how to deal with pressure, but let’s not get carried away: in 38 regular-season starts, he has 65 TDs to only 26 INTs, and is among the league leaders in YPA and YPC.

59 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I get that Goff had a miserable SB, and still hasn’t figured out how to deal with pressure, but let’s not get carried away: in 38 regular-season starts, he has 65 TDs to only 26 INTs, and is among the league leaders in YPA and YPC.

Think about the numbers an actually good QB could put up..

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:39 AM, BrianM said:

Spotrac has them with 32 mil of space right now, and they're light on draft picks so their rookie pool is low.   I see three major free agents- Suh, Saffold, and Joyner.   

I have a dilemma regarding ILB Cory Littleton (RFA).

Do they re-sign him, and leave him to man the middle (which I like in fantasy, but I doubt, as I understand his deficiencies in the middle/real football)? Or, do they re-sign and move him to the outside (less excited)? Or, do they not resign him, and let him walk (even less excitement)?

I've tried to move him, and replace via the rookie draft, but I can't get any tackers.

36 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

I have a dilemma regarding ILB Cory Littleton (RFA).

Do they re-sign him, and leave him to man the middle (which I like in fantasy, but I doubt, as I understand his deficiencies in the middle/real football)? Or, do they re-sign and move him to the outside (less excited)? Or, do they not resign him, and let him walk (even less excitement)?

I've tried to move him, and replace via the rookie draft, but I can't get any tackers.

I can’t imagine the Rams move him off the middle after he ascended from STer to defensive signal-caller in the span of a year, and after how much he flourished in that role.  I’d expect they would make keeping him around long-term a priority.

He really didn’t show much in the way of deficiencies in any aspect, real-world or otherwise.

Edited by BMcP

While he was great sideline-sideline, and in coverage...Littleton was a liability up the middle on that defense. As much as I'd like to see your analysis ring true, there are some question marks moving forward due to his on-field play and RFA status, and the possibility of other U/RFA being more of a priority for LAR. Real football could trump his great 2018 play :shrug:

While I'll just sit, and wait to see what I've got IF I can't move him (his value is very high if he remains in current situation), I'd have no problem replacing Littleton and those "question marks" with a legit rookie IDP prospect. *yes, I draft IDPs early and often in rookie drafts :ph34r:

Edited by FollowTheLeader

Interesting, that’s the first I’ve heard of that weakness - are you drawing that data from a source or is that something you just observed from the games?

Both. Littleton's weakness manning the middle of that defense/missed tackles had been documented throughout the season, by multiple media outlets/analysts. Below is one article discussing Littleton's high number of missed tackles, and his lack of weight/strength at the point of contact, but it does conclude with Littleton being resigned B):

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/11/30/18119551/2018-los-angeles-rams-nfl-micah-kiser-mark-barron-cory-littleton

11th overall in the league at LB in coverage with an 83.1 rating,

37th overall in the NFL at LB, with a overall PFF grade of 68.2 <this should be a flag of some obvious deficiency. *was reported on throughout the year as his weakness in being stout at the point of contact, and his missed tackles..

Rated 1st on ST with a 93.1 rating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent post - thanks for this info!  Hopefully for you, they end up keeping Littleton where he is and pair him with a better run-stopper in the middle!

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 7:49 AM, BMcP said:

The Offensive Line is one of the most important units in McVays team, because it allows TG to have massive holes he can turn in to huge gains and with Goff having one of the hardest splits between pressured and not-pressured (lastly seen in the sb) it will be one of the main goals to keep that unit good. Ranked first over the first half of the season they ended up being ranked 6 over the whole last season. This offseason Left Guard Rodger Saffold's contract is up, Right Guard Austin Blyth is a liability, Left Tackle Andrew Whitworth (37) has openly weighted retirment and Center John Sullivan turns 34 now. Sullivan has been great over the first 7games only allowing 4 pressures, but faded into a void by alloweing 32 over the last 9. This unit has to be adressed in the offseason.”

This snippet paints a misleadingly bleak picture of the Rams O-line situation.  Saffold has repeatedly expressed his desire to rejoin the Rams, even again as recently as a few days ago.  Blythe was a top-5 guard all year - “liability”?  Huh?  Sullivan’s play dropped off in the second half, but he still was excellent in the first half and in 2017.  Even if Whitworth were to retire, there are solid replacement options available both in the draft and FA, or they could see what they have in Joseph Noteboom.  Havenstein was awesome.

I think you both bring up valid points about the offensive live, which helps paint a more complete picture of the statistical anomaly which has been the Rams offensive line's health, and the team as a whole for that matter, over the past two seasons. Two straight seasons of starting the same five offensive linemen in every meaningful game, while also being the healthiest team overall in 2016 and 2017, is an envious stat to boast for any NFL team and one that really matters for an offense structured like the one Sean McVay is running.

Add in both the contract and age factors entering the fold for that o-line unit this upcoming offseason, some red flags popping up for both Jared Goff and Todd Gurley, and the Rams will find it hard not to regress as least a bit in 2019, in my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Excellent post - thanks for this info!  Hopefully for you, they end up keeping Littleton where he is and pair him with a better run-stopper in the middle!

IF the Rams only tender Littleton to an "original round," I've read the Chiefs and SF might be all-in to sign his services away from LAR...

ps: very nice Latin quote. *admittedly, even though I took Latin for 2yrs in HS :unsure: I still had to look it up :lol:

Edited by FollowTheLeader
  • Like 1

Thanks, man!  And thanks again for the helpful info!

Whitworth coming back solves one major potential problem!

I would be more than a tad concerned about a potential Superbowl hangover.  As they did to Seattle in February of 2015, Belichick not only defeated the Rams in this year's championship, he also claimed their souls.