The Big Bat Theory

New RW Forums Design Feedback Thread

1 hour ago, sngehl01 said:

Absolutely horrific. 

@tonycpsu and myself each made a "stylish" extension that helps with this. 

Google chrome users: Install the stylish extension and search for "Rotoworld Forums Dark Mode" or "RW Forums Tweaks"
Firefox users have something similar, though I haven't used it. 

The tweaks Tony made and it's very good. It's a pretty standard format with some minor fixes. 

Mine is a little more involved (aka, potentially buggy?) but gives you a dark mode to use. 

You can see a Dark Mode screenshot here. 

https://userstyles.org/styles/168953/rotoworld-forums-dark-mode

Good luck in your travels. 

Thank you sir. But you shouldn't have to install stuff to read a website.

• Like 3

I don't really have a problem with the new forums. The main page is a pain now though and the player pages are absolutely horrendous. Too much going on and now you can't see a team's rotation, only the starters. 

New layout sucks. Nothing works right, can't access notifications and browsing is brutal. 

Also whatever was changed on here was not worth it. Now my rotoworld app which I loved and checked all the time doesn't even load. 

Great job R&D team not. Just like ESPN's brilliant new design, functionality now sucks. Worthless. Why fix what isn't broke?

MRGA

Make Rotoworld Great Again.... change it back and get the app fixed please for the love of god!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Completely agree. 

• Like 1

So hungover that I hadn't even noticed until reading this thread 

4 hours ago, fletch44 said:

I'm taking a hiatus from this site. Hope it's back to normal for baseball draft season.

Try clicking on that theme button on the bottom of this page. You will have one option. Click it .i am in this mode it works perfectly. 

1 hour ago, Kaboom said:

Why is there no link to these forums on the RW front page? There used to be one, which is how all of us found this place in the first place.

There is.  It's at the top of the page now.  Right next to "Yahoo Fantasy".

• Thanks 1

Was the background always white like this?  Yeah the sky blue font sucks but its the white background which bothers me the most.  This bloweths. 

I have to think the RW Android App is also affected by this - it's stuck on Feb 11 for me. I uninstalled it, re-installed it to no effect and then uninstalled for good.

Also - I regularly have the RW main site (https://www.rotoworld.com/sports/mlb/baseball) up as a tab on my laptop using Chrome - it's not auto-refreshing at all, when it used to (for at least the past 10 years) every 5 minutes or so.

Not only do the forums suck, the level of relevant info provided has suddenly diminished. This is looking kind of like it's on purpose.

I know what Noah Syndergaard looks like and I know what the Mets logo looks like. 

Do I really need pictures and logos blasting my eyes for player updates?

Apparently eye candy is a priority over relevant content, which we all came here for...or used to.

I'm with the masses, this is apocolyptically horrendous. 

12 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

I have to think the RW Android App is also affected by this - it's stuck on Feb 11 for me. I uninstalled it, re-installed it to no effect and then uninstalled for good.

Also - I regularly have the RW main site (https://www.rotoworld.com/sports/mlb/baseball) up as a tab on my laptop using Chrome - it's not auto-refreshing at all, when it used to (for at least the past 10 years) every 5 minutes or so.

Not only do the forums suck, the level of relevant info provided has suddenly diminished. This is looking kind of like it's on purpose.

Maybe they will bring back the old ones behind a paywall.

21 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Yeah thanks for the effort but I agree.  We should not have to install stuff to read a website.  And who knows how third party add-ons might then screw up other forums you visit.

On 2/12/2019 at 8:38 AM, billybgame said:

Big downgrade for me.  Everything is oversized, and you have to scroll way too many times on the depth charts.  But, then I don't do the internet on my phone.  I use a laptop or desktop.  Seems so many sites I've used forever have been ruined by the changes designed so they work better on phones.:(

I feel exactly the same way. I'm primarily a laptop user, and today is my first day using the Forums. I was hoping they weren't as bad as the main RW page for player updates (as that is horrible IMO...and so are the updated Forums). I might have to begin looking for a new site, as I'm not sure I can get used to this. 

18 minutes ago, Corleone said:

I feel exactly the same way. I'm primarily a laptop user, and today is my first day using the Forums. I was hoping they weren't as bad as the main RW page for player updates (as that is horrible IMO...and so are the updated Forums). I might have to begin looking for a new site, as I'm not sure I can get used to this. 

Go ALL THE WAY to the bottom of the page and click on the teeny tiny word "Theme" and select Default. 

This new stuff is the Rotoworld v5 (default) and the old form is the one simply listed as Default.  It is like the old version almost.  Has blue instead of black thread headers but at least medium blue and not faded cyan.  And the white is more mellow than the glare white you see now.  In other words the old way but with medium blue and not black headers.  It is at least readable and doable though I want the original because that was the best by far.

Tony is there any way to post this quick fix change Theme where it is clearly visible in print on the forums with click on links t find it.  This is like the third time I posted this here.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Go ALL THE WAY to the bottom of the page and click on the teeny tiny word "Theme" and select Default. 

This new stuff is the Rotoworld v5 (default) and the old form is the one simply listed as Default.  It is like the old version almost.  Has blue instead of black thread headers but at least medium blue and not faded cyan.  And the white is more mellow than the glare white you see now.  In other words the old way but with medium blue and not black headers.  It is at least readable and doable though I want the original because that was the best by far.

Have been reading through this full thread and saw that info, so I'm going to try it now that I've finished reading. Thanks and fingers crossed as I try it...

1 minute ago, Corleone said:

Have been reading through this full thread and saw that info, so I'm going to try it now that I've finished reading. Thanks and fingers crossed as I try it...

Takes one second and is instant.  You should be able to read stuff here again about now, hah.

8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Takes one second and is instant.  You should be able to read stuff here again about now, hah.

Got sidetracked between a phone call and another thread, so couldn't respond. I agree that the Theme update makes it better within here. I feel the same as you, in that at least it is readable now, though the original was definitely better. I wish that the Theme could be updated for the main site though, as that is still garbage :(  And with the main site being so bad, that may be killer for RW in general.

On 13/2/2019 at 10:26 PM, sngehl01 said:

You and @lbjames6 check out my post right above this one. It has a "dark mode" theme you can apply with a browser extension. 

I made it. Be gentle. I will spend some time fine tuning the dark mode theme in the future most likely, but it's not terrible for now (far better than the default). 

Just an FYI. 

I really like the idea of the dark mode, but when I installed it on Chrome, there's still so much white and black that my eye is constantly drawn to the wrong parts of the page, and it's a bit distracting in the end. I'll come back to check later to see if you have further updates.

Both your and @tonycpsu thanks for your efforts, it's appreciated. But I'll echo those before me: if you need this, something is badly wrong.

As an IT guy I'm well aware that often people just need some time to adapt to a new style, and they will complain any time they have to get used to a new look - I'm no exception. On the other hand, that doesn't mean everything will be just fine, and I think there are very reasonable gripes with the design (I detest the top banner), but for now I think tony nailed it with fixing the color and width. Cheers, amigo.

3 hours ago, Corleone said:

Got sidetracked between a phone call and another thread, so couldn't respond. I agree that the Theme update makes it better within here. I feel the same as you, in that at least it is readable now, though the original was definitely better. I wish that the Theme could be updated for the main site though, as that is still garbage :(  And with the main site being so bad, that may be killer for RW in general.

The old look was better. That cannot be debated, but the new look is ok 

I have no problem with the main site. I used the rotoworld main site to read the player news, that is still available so... 

44 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I have no problem with the main site. I used the rotoworld main site to read the player news, that is still available so... 

I can get used to the RW main site but wish they'd put the auto-refresh option back on.

On 2/13/2019 at 2:25 PM, IrnMike80 said:

New layout sucks. Nothing works right, can't access notifications and browsing is brutal. 

Also whatever was changed on here was not worth it. Now my rotoworld app which I loved and checked all the time doesn't even load. 

Great job R&D team not. Just like ESPN's brilliant new design, functionality now sucks. Worthless. Why fix what isn't broke?

MRGA

Make Rotoworld Great Again.... change it back and get the app fixed please for the love of god!

U can access notifications on default theme, switch to it located on bottom of page

I like it. 

I have been posting on these forums since 2009 (just realized that it is almost 10 years. Holy ishhhh) and went thru quite a few changes to the forums. From admins, mods, posters, and layouts. And always hated changes. But for some reasons this new layout is appealing to me. 

I am in the minority here I know. But hey I’ll give props where they are due.