Flyman75

2019 Fantasy Strategy Thread

52 minutes ago, B&F said:

Auction draft question:

If the league settings have 60% of the players in the starting lineup as hitters (14 out of 23) should I allocate 60% of my budget to hitters?

Unless there are some odd rules about your league, you should aim for 66-70% budget to hitters. 60% is fine if you want to go very pitching heavy with aces and top-tier closers.

9 minutes ago, Quinn the Ezkamo said:

Unless there are some odd rules about your league, you should aim for 66-70% budget to hitters. 60% is fine if you want to go very pitching heavy with aces and top-tier closers.

ty.

To anyone.  Is there a website I can plug in my league points scoring and it will give me a draft ranking?

To the above, use the fangraphs auto calculator.

One thing I'm seeing that strikes me as irrational is these guys like Paddack and Jesus being pushed up over the shiny new toys from a couple years ago.

From what I can gather, Paddock is going to have about the same usage as Urias and Reyes.  Similar profiles. Except that Urias was an elite prospect and I think Reyes was pretty high up there too.  They've also both proven that they can handle and, for Reyes, dominate MLB hitters.  They're all going to be babied with innings, perhaps some middle relief, perhaps some shorter starts.  I know Reyes and Urias were injured, but my take on that is 1) they are pitchers. 2) Paddack is also a pitcher so it's probably just a question of when.  3) Getting Reyes and Urias at pick 300ish, it's no big deal if they get hurt.  

On 3/14/2019 at 2:34 AM, B&F said:

To anyone.  Is there a website I can plug in my league points scoring and it will give me a draft ranking?

I will second fangraphs.

I joined a league last year that has some weird rules that I thought would make starting pitchers less valuable. I plugged the rules in the fangraphs, and when they spit out the values, low and behold they had the starting pitchers going for much less than other leagues.

Just make sure you check all the correct boxes for your league settings.

https://www.fangraphs.com/auctiontool.aspx?type=bat&proj=steamer&pos=1,1,1,1,5,1,1,1,0,1,0,0,9,4,0&dollars=260&teams=12&mp=20&msp=5&mrp=5&mb=1&split=&points=c|1,2,3,4,5|0,1,2,4,12&lg=NL&rep=0&drp=0&pp=C,SS,2B,3B,OF,1B&players=

Anybody ever play in a 20 team league? Draft will be randomized an hour before so I have no idea my draft spot. What is your ideal draft spot in a league this large?

I like drafting towards the middle in a league that large.  I don't like drafting at either end of a snake draft because there is just too many picks before you get a player.  Ideally I would hope for your first pick to be in the 8-12 range.  That said you can win at any pick even in a 20 league draft.  Good luck to you!!

• Like 1

What do you guys think about “punting the catching position”?

Context: Daily transaction, very deep mixed roto league where we use Tb rbi sb r and obp

We start one catcher but I really hate wasting two very valuable roster spots for my catcher and a fill in on the couple days a week he doesn’t start and I need someone for that day he’s off 

I drafted Wellington with my last pick but there are many similar options on the wire. (Cervelli Chirinos Barnhart Zuk/Gomes Alfaro etc etc)

My offense consists of Votto Muncy JRamirez Lindor Story Harper Pollock Braun  Hampson McNeil and Vlad & Tatis eventually 

enough offensive firepower to punt catcher?

or a very dumb or risky idea? 

Would love to hear some thoughts 

1 minute ago, WTP333 said:

What do you guys think about “punting the catching position”?

Context: Daily transaction, very deep mixed roto league where we use Tb rbi sb r and obp

We start one catcher but I really hate wasting two very valuable roster spots for my catcher and a fill in on the couple days a week he doesn’t start and I need someone for that day he’s off 

I drafted Wellington with my last pick but there are many similar options on the wire. (Cervelli Chirinos Barnhart Zuk/Gomes Alfaro etc etc)

My offense consists of Votto Muncy JRamirez Lindor Story Harper Pollock Braun  Hampson McNeil and Vlad & Tatis eventually 

enough offensive firepower to punt catcher?

or a very dumb or risky idea? 

Would love to hear some thoughts 

when you say punt catcher, are you saying only roster 1 and not worry about days off? Yeah don't waste a roster spot on a backup catcher, wouldn't call that punting it.

Just now, Members_Only_76 said:

when you say punt catcher, are you saying only roster 1 and not worry about days off? Yeah don't waste a roster spot on a backup catcher, wouldn't call that punting it.

Good question. Thanks.

I mean simply just adding (and then dropping) any old catcher daily and not having one full timer taking up roster spot (or two)

Just now, WTP333 said:

Good question. Thanks.

I mean simply just adding (and then dropping) any old catcher daily and not having one full timer taking up roster spot (or two)

I think it's a fine strategy if you don't want to pay to draft/acquire one of the top catchers and if there are always available starting catchers on the wire (sounds like there are).

• Like 1

Catcher punt is a fine strategy, especially this year as there are a lot of catchers in 1 catcher leagues that will go undrafted and are likely an injury away from being a top 12 option:

Kurt Suzuki / Yan Gomes (if one gets hurt the other immediately becomes a top 12 option)

Willians Astudillo (if Marwin or a catcher gets hurt he's a top 12 option)

Austin Barnes (might start with playing time, but a Russell Martin injury would cement it)

Ausin Hedges (not the best but if Mejia gets hurt he will be one of the top power options)

So if you get the last catcher in the draft and try to time hot streaks, you are bound to be able to get one of the guys above if and when the situation arises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Catcher punt is a fine strategy, especially this year as there are a lot of catchers in 1 catcher leagues that will go undrafted and are likely an injury away from being a top 12 option:

Kurt Suzuki / Yan Gomes (if one gets hurt the other immediately becomes a top 12 option)

Willians Astudillo (if Marwin or a catcher gets hurt he's a top 12 option)

Austin Barnes (might start with playing time, but a Russell Martin injury would cement it)

Ausin Hedges (not the best but if Mejia gets hurt he will be one of the top power options)

So if you get the last catcher in the draft and try to time hot streaks, you are bound to be able to get one of the guys above if and when the situation arises.

All of them are available lol 

I'm playing in a points league for the first time since the early 90s when I was a teenager. It's just a casual fun H2H league, but most of the guys have been playing in the same league for a few years...autodraft, redraft, no $$. I didn't realize how heavily weighted towards pitching the league is. I looked at my lineup and thought, "Daaaang! Nice infield!". Pitching wasn't good, but I figured I could make it work like I always do in roto leagues if I have a bad pitching draft. Then I noticed the league vets had loaded pitching staffs...then I noticed that they are carrying very few bats on their benches...then I looked at the draft results and saw mostly SPs going early...and then I looked at the scoring last year and saw that elite SPs are OVERWHELMINGLY valuable and important. And then I thought, "Well crap...I guess I'll suffer through this season and set my draft order next year." 

LOL...it's going to be a long year in that league. So I am looking for every sleeper SP I can find. 

What is the best site to find projected weekly pitching matchups?

On 3/17/2019 at 9:05 AM, shakestreet said:

Anybody ever play in a 20 team league? Draft will be randomized an hour before so I have no idea my draft spot. What is your ideal draft spot in a league this large?

I would say ideally in a 20 team league...

You want spot 1.

15 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I'm playing in a points league for the first time since the early 90s when I was a teenager. It's just a casual fun H2H league, but most of the guys have been playing in the same league for a few years...autodraft, redraft, no $$. I didn't realize how heavily weighted towards pitching the league is. I looked at my lineup and thought, "Daaaang! Nice infield!". Pitching wasn't good, but I figured I could make it work like I always do in roto leagues if I have a bad pitching draft. Then I noticed the league vets had loaded pitching staffs...then I noticed that they are carrying very few bats on their benches...then I looked at the draft results and saw mostly SPs going early...and then I looked at the scoring last year and saw that elite SPs are OVERWHELMINGLY valuable and important. And then I thought, "Well crap...I guess I'll suffer through this season and set my draft order next year." 

LOL...it's going to be a long year in that league. So I am looking for every sleeper SP I can find. 

Points leagues are insufferable for this very reason. Sometimes people just forego hitters entirely. When they don't there's like 50 points difference between elite hitters and average hitters. 

7 hours ago, pushaZ said:

I would say ideally in a 20 team league...

You want spot 1.

Yup, in a 20 team league you want to start with Trout and then get the swing because after that .. it's going to get sketchy.

7 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Points leagues are insufferable for this very reason. Sometimes people just forego hitters entirely. When they don't there's like 50 points difference between elite hitters and average hitters. 

Is it not possible to have a balanced points league? 

My league has spots for 9 pitchers.  No designation for SP or RP.

How many RP should I draft?

Settings are below.

Hitting

Home Runs (HR)

Hitting

Runs Batted In (RBI)

Hitting

Runs Scored (R)

Hitting

Stolen Bases (SB)

Hitting

Batting Average (AVG)

Pitching

Saves (SV)

Pitching

Strikeouts Pitched (K)

Pitching

Wins (W)

Pitching

Earned Run Average (ERA)

Pitching

WHIP Ratio (WHIP)

4 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

Is it not possible to have a balanced points league? 

It's possible but most points leagues I have been in have been skewed in some dumb way.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Adding to my question above.  

I am new to Rotisserie baseball.

How many estimated steals should I draft for to do well in the category?

Edited by B&F

11 minutes ago, B&F said:

There's a number of different strategies

1) draft power/speed hitters and totally punt on pitchers, relying on closers to get you ratios and saves

2) draft power/speed hitters and totally punt on pitchers and rely on volume pitching to give you ks and wins

3) punt power and draft pitchers early and get a bunch of steals guys like Mallex Smith and try to win all 5 pitching categories

4) draft a balance of power and pitchers and punt steals taking low average, high HR guys like Khris Davis

5) (this is not a great strategy) punt power and spend way too much capital on closers and then try to get saves and ratios for pitching with avg and speed

6) try some weird combo of any of these strategies and fall short.

There's a lot of variations to these including people sitting pitchers, people not drafting catchers, I saw a guy in my league with 3 hitters short and loading up on pitchers, everyone thinks they have their own way to win. I personally like spending all of my draft capital on hitters and not getting any pitchers at all until after pick 100. My 2 starting SPs were Tanaka and Kikichi.

It's an interesting sport for fantasy.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, B&F said:

From my experience (12 team mostly) there’s always one guy who goes really speed heavy and winds up winning the category with like 170-180 SBs. Don’t be that guy, and don’t try to chase him. You don’t need to be first in steals to win the league. 

That said, typically I’ve found the sweet spot is to shoot for about 140. This will almost always be enough to get you into the top 4/5 within the category, while still allowing you the ability to put together a team that won’t drain you in other areas.

Edited by crafty
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, crafty said:

From my experience (12 team mostly) there’s always one guy who goes really speed heavy and winds up winning the category with like 170-180 SBs. Don’t be that guy, and don’t try to chase him. You don’t need to be first in steals to win the league. 

That said, typically I’ve found the sweet spot is to shoot for about 140. This will almost always be enough to get you into the top 4/5 within the category, while still allowing you the ability to put together a team that won’t drain you in other areas.

You can rack up SBs without draining other cats if you draft well and work your team smartly. Multiple times in my main keeper league I’ve finished in the top 2-3 of both HR and SB...which leads to strong finishes in R and RBI. Even this year, in that league I feel like I’ve pieced together a lineup that should finish top 2-3 in both...maybe even win both cats. 

33 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

You can rack up SBs without draining other cats if you draft well and work your team smartly. Multiple times in my main keeper league I’ve finished in the top 2-3 of both HR and SB...which leads to strong finishes in R and RBI. Even this year, in that league I feel like I’ve pieced together a lineup that should finish top 2-3 in both...maybe even win both cats. 

Oh, I completely agree. I rarely go after the big speed guys. I’ll typically build a roster around two or three who can net you 20+ steals and shoot to fill in the rest with guys who can chip in like 7–10 (catcher excluded, of course).