tsh00k

Fangraphs 2019 Top 100

Fangraphs spent a year saying will Smith was a better catching prospect than Keibert Ruiz to the bewilderment of everyone. They came to their senses and ranked Keibert 15 and Smith 80. Seems like a huge change.

I know this isn't the biggest takeaway from the list but found it interesting. Seemed like last year they were trying to be hipsters and this year they came to their senses. Funny enough Keibert had his worst offensive year and smith was pretty good.

• Like 3

Interesting List.  Looking at Top 35:

May at 21, they obviously are sold on his performance last year.

Lux at 23, for a non-fantasy list, seems high.

Luzardo at 27 seems a bit low.

They seem higher on Chisolm, at 31, then a lot.

• Like 1

@BigPapi44 in terms of Lux. He's not a big power or speed guy, so I actually do think he's better for real life lists. He'll be fine in fantasy too but might not be a guy who ever gets 20 steals or homers 

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Fangraphs spent a year saying will Smith was a better catching prospect than Keibert Ruiz to the bewilderment of everyone. They came to their senses and ranked Keibert 15 and Smith 80. Seems like a huge change.

I know this isn't the biggest takeaway from the list but found it interesting. Seemed like last year they were trying to be hipsters and this year they came to their senses. Funny enough Keibert had his worst offensive year and smith was pretty good.

this was so annoying. they kept saying this and saying it, and even implying or outright stating that the dodgers themselves agreed with it. now here we are

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wily mo said:

this was so annoying. they kept saying this and saying it, and even implying or outright stating that the dodgers themselves agreed with it. now here we are

It's nuts honestly. It was such an obvious stupid ranking. 

Eloy(8) was by far was as low as I'd seen him.

Lux (23) seemed high.

Mejia (59) was about as low as I've seen., thought Kelenic (84) was a bit low.

Surprised at May (21) who maybe I shouldn't have traded:)

Howard at (67) made me take note.

I think they made the correction with Ruiz (15) that has been talked about. I like the positive rankings of Kieboom (18) and Pache (19).

With that said, I like the list and love the work they do.

It’s got to be tough creating one list with 2 different opinions (Eric and Kiley)... love the detail and in depth analysis. These guys usually nail it so I appreciate the different takes on prospects. Most of the other prospect lists are fantasy lists and not actual real life value so understand where there could be differences. 

• Like 1

Fangraphs scoring system doesn't really allow for much separation anyhow, so I don't find their lists particularly helpful. Individual player analysis is really their shining point.

• Like 1

Agreed. Though that is kinda true after the top 30-40. There really shouldn't be much separation. They also tend to favor MLB readiness/safe skill sets over other lists so Jazz being 31 was the most eye popping for me. While Wander is probably going to hold that No 1 Spot for a long time after Vladdy is up.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

Hampson at 112 and Verdugo at 117 are surprisingly low.  Brandon Lowe at 46?  Seems way to high for me.  I would rather have Hampson and Verdugo over Lowe.  Both have much better hit tools than Lowe.  Also Brendan Rodgers at 28 is the lowest Ive seen in quite some time.  Shows how there is some prospect fatigue going on there and his aggressive hitting style is putting a damper on his stock

Edited by TheTruth024

9 hours ago, TheTruth024 said:

Hampson at 112 and Verdugo at 117 are surprisingly low.  Brandon Lowe at 46?  Seems way to high for me.  I would rather have Hampson and Verdugo over Lowe.  Both have much better hit tools than Lowe.  Also Brendan Rodgers at 28 is the lowest Ive seen in quite some time.  Shows how there is some prospect fatigue going on there and his aggressive hitting style is putting a damper on his stock

I mean, yeah, you can make a great case for those 2 over Lowe...but this isn't a fantasy list either. Quite possible Lowe is the best player of the group. I would take him over those 2 myself, but I am a big fan--though apparently not the biggest.

13 hours ago, TheTruth024 said:

Hampson gets no love and I just don’t get it...

Sure he loses value on non-fantasy lists because his speed doesn’t add as much value in real life but we’re talking about someone with a .315/.389/.457/.846 career line with 20 hr/123 sb over 305 minor league games.  He can play multiple IF positions as well as CF most likely.

Is the lack of love simply because he has hit in favorable home fields his entire career being a Rockies prospect?  I mean hell Brendan Rodgers is still at #28 and his career ops is 10 points lower than hampson.  Is hampsons age the problem then?  Just don’t get it

If Hampson defense is actually good I don't get it, but his minor league and projected rockies numbers are clearly park effected. Furthermore steals are worth extremely little in real life. Still, back end 100 of after seems a too low for me.

I'm not sure why Rodgers gets more of a pass, I'm kind of down on him in general but recognize a rocky starter is quite valuable. Rodgers has a much stronger draft pedigree I believe 

I know everybody loves Wander - myself included - but #2 is amazing to me. For comparison, the next-ranked prospect that has not played above Rookie-level ball is 66 spots down in Ronny Mauricio, closely followed by guys like Matt Liberatore, Cole Winn, and Jarred Kelenic. And between #2 and #68 is Joey Bart and Alec Bohm as the only other guys without full-season experience - but, obviously, these two guys were highly-regarded college bats that played a full college season slate.

I realize I'm probably in the minority but I still think it's nuts to rank a 17-year old without full-season experience in the top-25. If he finishes his first full-season league this year at 18 with similar blistering numbers, I'm all for him being ranked top-5, probably #1.

Trevor Larnach at #99 is nice to see, at least he's in the top-100.

I'm surprised to see Tyler Stephenson crack the top-100. For a kid who just did OK in high-A and was drafted as a HS catcher, it seems a bit early to rank this high with a questionable hit tool and still-lacking, in-game power regardless of the good plate approach. Seems he got a significant positional bump here. I remember him being reputed to be a strong defender but only gets a 50 FV-grade for Fielding and he didn't throw guys out at a rate one expects a 70-grade arm to catch would-be base stealers.