Sign in to follow this  
Under500Forever

Carlos Martinez 2019 Outlook

It seemed like CMart was going back to the rotation in 2019 but a recent RW blurb suggested he may pitch out of the pen in 2019. 

Cardinals pitching coach Mike Maddux suggested Tuesday that Carlos Martinez could again be used in relief this year.

Martinez finished last season as the primary closer in St. Louis and pitched very well in that role. The hope is that he'll prove durable enough for a full-season rotation spot in 2019 -- he battled multiple upper-arm injuries in 2018 -- but Maddux is leaving open the door to more relief appearances for the 27-year-old right-hander. "It was pretty cool to watch him pitch out of the bullpen, wasn't it?" Maddux said. "I liked him out of the bullpen a lot."

I’m not sure if this means he would be be the closer or if he would pitch in a middle relief/setup role. 

I dont buy it. He will start the year in the rotation, be their #1 and have a great season. 

The only reason he pitched in relief last year was cuz he got injured and they didnt have enough time to stretch him out. Granted, he pitched very well as their closer but they signed Miller and STL needs Starters more than Relievers at this point. An Ace is always more valuable than a closer

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

I dont buy it. He will start the year in the rotation, be their #1 and have a great season. 

The only reason he pitched in relief last year was cuz he got injured and they didnt have enough time to stretch him out. Granted, he pitched very well as their closer but they signed Miller and STL needs Starters more than Relievers at this point. An Ace is always more valuable than a closer

Yes and Jordan Hicks, so two guys that can throw multiple innings out of the pen. It would be overkill to use Martinez in the pen.

there's speculation that he will need TJ and they are floating this idea in an effort to limit his innings.

28 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

there's speculation that he will need TJ and they are floating this idea in an effort to limit his innings.

Is this serious? You gotta be trolling.

He ended the year healthy. And he didnt even have an arm injury last year. Wasnt it his oblique?

Really hoping the guy is healthy as he's one of my favorite guys to watch throw.

Im no pitching guru but a couple of the guys I follow that consider themselves experts really worry about his mechanics.

Lat injuries often lead to elbow injuries due to compensatory changes in the motion ala Reyes last year.

Even if he's not currently injured, I'm out on him unless he falls to an insane value.  The risk of a swing role in combination with injury concern just make him too risky for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

The bottom line is they're planning for him to be in the rotation. Yes they're talking about the possibility of him moving to the pen, but only because he did well there last year and they know it's an "option". Doesn't mean much at this point.

From the article: "Those comments obviously don’t represent anything approaching a clear indication that the Cardinals actually intend to bump Martinez to the pen. "

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

The bottom line is they're planning for him to be in the rotation. Yes they're talking about the possibility of him moving to the pen, but only because he did well there last year and they know it's an "option". Doesn't mean much at this point.

From the article: "Those comments obviously don’t represent anything approaching a clear indication that the Cardinals actually intend to bump Martinez to the pen. "

It's something to take into account when drafting him. 

54 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

It's something to take into account when drafting him. 

I don’t be think it affects his value too much because he’ll probably close if he doesn’t start. Hicks didn’t give any indication he can handle the role and Miller is somewhat of a wildcard.

If Carlos ends up in the bullpen who gets the five starting spots? Flaherty, Mikolas, Wainwright, Wacha, then who Gant? Dakota Hudson or Reyes. I don’t know but I think Carlos is better in that lineup and using the others in the pen.

• Like 1

If Carlos is in the pen, then Reyes and Hudson better be in the rotation. Waino really shouldn't be starting anymore.

Edited by jimbo504

22 minutes ago, Steelerssixcess said:

If Carlos ends up in the bullpen who gets the five starting spots? Flaherty, Mikolas, Wainwright, Wacha, then who Gant? Dakota Hudson or Reyes. I don’t know but I think Carlos is better in that lineup and using the others in the pen.

First off, I wouldn't worry about him to the pen...like last year it would have to be a injury return situation. This is just early ST 'news' that's just talk...

I believe Gomber would be the defacto #6 starter? They have stated that Hudson is in the pen now-

No-throw program for 2 weeks. Could be nothing, but this is not the way you wanna start out camp...esp being that it's a shoulder, and one that he's had trouble with before too. It's enough to pretty much scare me off unless it's very minimal risk.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

No-throw program for 2 weeks. Could be nothing, but this is not the way you wanna start out camp...esp being that it's a shoulder, and one that he's had trouble with before too. It's enough to pretty much scare me off unless it's very minimal risk.

I’m staying far away. I’m also staying away from Hicks as I think CMart spends most, if not all, the season in the bullpen. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Cards play on Gio or Keuchel.

What good is it to start Carlos Martinez if his arm can't take it?

The Cardinals are slowly becoming the Dodgers when it comes to pitching. Injuries, inning caps, and babied pitchers

With his health concerns, one would have to assume he is going to the bullpen to close correct?

16 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

With his health concerns, one would have to assume he is going to the bullpen to close correct?

I don't think he would be closing ahead of Hicks and Miller.  He may be relegated to 7th inning duty until he can start again.

8 minutes ago, TheBoatmen said:

I don't think he would be closing ahead of Hicks and Miller.  He may be relegated to 7th inning duty until he can start again.

Miller and hicks can throw multiple innings and cmart did well closing for them. At least they get something from their best pitcher besides dL time