Joshmcd94

Courtland Sutton 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

I really like Sutton but the guy needs some support.  If I'm a team playing them just double team him all day.  Who do they have?  All thumbs Fant?  **looks at depth chart**  DaeSean Hamilton who's hair is more notable than what he has done on the field? Fred Brown? Juwann Winfree? I'm not making these names up.

 

I think next year is his year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sternes said:

I really like Sutton but the guy needs some support.  If I'm a team playing them just double team him all day.  Who do they have?  All thumbs Fant?  **looks at depth chart**  DaeSean Hamilton who's hair is more notable than what he has done on the field? Fred Brown? Juwann Winfree? I'm not making these names up.

 

I think next year is his year.

Volume baby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RingMyBell said:

Volume baby

 

What good is volume when it isn't in the same zip code?

 

giphy.gif

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sternes said:

I really like Sutton but the guy needs some support.  If I'm a team playing them just double team him all day.  Who do they have?  

This is my concern. The trade definitely hurts him. He's a great sell high if you can. He's gonna get tougher coverage now, the team looks as bad as ever, and we have absolutely no idea how long Flacco will remain the starter nor how Sutton will fare with Lock. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

This is my concern. The trade definitely hurts him. He's a great sell high if you can. He's gonna get tougher coverage now, the team looks as bad as ever, and we have absolutely no idea how long Flacco will remain the starter nor how Sutton will fare with Lock. 

Yeah that's my concern as well. Flacco isn't a very good QB, but a savvy vet who knows how to get the ball to his playmakers. With Lock potentially taking over, it takes Sutton's very high floor away. When you look at their WR depth chart right now (ugh), you know they are mailing it in for 2019 and at some point will want to see what they have in Lock. Would feel much better if they had kept Sanders.

The issue about moving Sutton is that he is a great player to own, but lacks the name value to sell. Unless you can find a knowledgeable owner who believes in pure numbers, Sutton is more likely a hold than a sell.

Edit: Totally off topic, but that's also the reason I'm much lower on McLaurin than others. At some point in a lost season they will switch to Haskins to see what they got in him. Hence Keenum got benched once already despite doing all he could do under bad circumstances. Later in the season, Haskins will get his shot no matter what and make McLaurin a risky start. Funny that they were team mates in college but never really had the best chemistry. For the sake of WRs like Sutton and McLaurin, you hope the vets keep the gig.

Edited by frog34
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, andypro77 said:

I think all Sutton needs to start his march towards elite status is an upgrade from say the 28th best QB to the 22nd best QB. What I don't want is an efficient game manager that hands off all day while Denver relies on it's defense. Give me the big armed gunslinger with flaws every time when I own the WR.

I completely agree. Give me a Ryan Fitzpatrick who isn't afraid to let the ball fly regardless of his flaws. Much rather have a risk taking, gun-slinger rather than a gun-shy, check down tossing Alex Smith type. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, frog34 said:

Edit: Totally off topic, but that's also the reason I'm much lower on McLaurin than others. At some point in a lost season they will switch to Haskins to see what they got in him. Hence Keenum got benched once already despite doing all he could do under bad circumstances. Later in the season, Haskins will get his shot no matter what and make McLaurin a risky start. Funny that they were team mates in college but never really had the best chemistry. For the sake of WRs like Sutton and McLaurin, you hope the vets keep the gig.

Couldn't agree more. I think I'm lower on McLaurin than anyone in that thread, and for the exact reasons you mention. I don't think there's as much to worry about with Sutton, but the situations are definitely similar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sutton is a prototypical NFL No. 1 WR.

When Sanders went down late last season, Sutton couldn't handle the coverage attention as a rookie, plus i think he was banged up (if I'm not mistaken). He wasn't ready.

But this move is a move of faith that Sutton is ready and Hamilton could step up again along with Noah Fant.

Sutton is a beast. It will be interesting to see how it goes, but my point is... This isn't 2018 so BELIEVE!

Edited by austin316
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Counterpoint ^^^... Not necessarily a faith in sutton thing as much as They stink and that's the best offer they felt they'd get and they took it since he was gone after this season anyway. Idk what to do with the guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 hours ago, austin316 said:

Sutton is a prototypical NFL No. 1 WR.

When Sanders went down late last season, Sutton couldn't handle the coverage attention as a rookie, plus i think he was banged up (if I'm not mistaken). He wasn't ready.

But this move is a move of faith that Sutton is ready and Hamilton could step up again along with Noah Fant.

Sutton is a beast. It will be interesting to see how it goes, but my point is... This isn't 2018 so BELIEVE!

This.  
 

2019 Sutton’s tape is diverse and he’s playing the game without having to think too hard.    Can’t expect that out of a rookie.   We won’t see the precipitous dropoff from losing Sanders.    Prob more targets.   
 

daeshon Hamilton 👆 

Tim Patrick (IR return week 11) 👆 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be in line for a solid game.  Colts play zone mostly - they give up receptions but do not give up the big play.  Has a pretty safe floor considering he will see 10+ targets in this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

 

This.  
 

2019 Sutton’s tape is diverse and he’s playing the game without having to think too hard.    Can’t expect that out of a rookie.   We won’t see the precipitous dropoff from losing Sanders.    Prob more targets.   
 

daeshon Hamilton 👆 

Tim Patrick (IR return week 11) 👆 

Yes, exhibit no. 2.... Michael Gallup.

I read an interview of him saying the pro game has slowed down for him in year 2 as well because he is not thinking so much out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rotoworld forum majority says Sutton's production will drop with Sanders gone. Im willing to bet the opposite. 

This is what football analytics twitter has to say on the matter.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

Rotoworld forum majority says Sutton's production will drop with Sanders gone. Im willing to bet the opposite. 

If the wr isn’t ready or capable of separating with a variety of releases and route options...volume won’t increase just because a team’s wr1 is hurt/traded.   The qb will look elsewhere and targets will be more equally distributed between pass catchers.   We saw it with 2018 Sutton and now 2019 MVS.   
 

2019 Sutton, imo...is ready for the challenge. We know this from watching him play-  not from historic charts or stats.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no evidence suggesting Lock is taking over anytime soon. In fact, reports point to the contrary with Elway himself saying he is not ready (and I believe it has to do with more than just physical health). Flacco is likely finishing the season as the starting quarterback and he has a clear propensity to throwing the ball to Sutton. I love the move and think he continues to ball out, especially in the red zone .

Edited by Fantasy Gooroo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Malik hooker is back for the colts this week. He can be a shut down corner. My expectations  for Sutton this week are tempered 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised DaSean Hamilton didn't even have a catch.

Sutton should still be fine going forward.

Noah Fant received a career high in targets if anyone needs a TE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smart blatant PI from the defender on a play that would've been a long TD for Sutton. He'll eat going forward, shouts to Flacc for calling out the coaching

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Novaray said:

Smart blatant PI from the defender on a play that would've been a long TD for Sutton. He'll eat going forward, shouts to Flacc for calling out the coaching

Yeah Flacco is totally correct. This head coach should be doing nothing beyond defense in the NFL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah Flacco is totally correct. This head coach should be doing nothing beyond defense in the NFL.

100% Flacco is right. But I fear that him speaking out loud and the Broncos season already being down the drain, they will take a look at Lock sooner or later. Just in time for the most important games in FF. It's the same with McLaurin and the Skins taking a look at Haskins at some point. That's how the league operates, but I'd rather have a middling or below average vet QB throwing the football to my fantasy WR than a rookie QB who is far from ready.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, frog34 said:

100% Flacco is right. But I fear that him speaking out loud and the Broncos season already being down the drain, they will take a look at Lock sooner or later. Just in time for the most important games in FF. It's the same with McLaurin and the Skins taking a look at Haskins at some point. That's how the league operates, but I'd rather have a middling or below average vet QB throwing the football to my fantasy WR than a rookie QB who is far from ready.

Yep, we are clearly heading towards that too. It prob is not a good thing for either of those stud WRs. Maybe Lock would pepper Sutton, but no idea?

I am sure Vic ain't gonna like Flacco speaking out --esp given his relative performance. Elway might be the biggest obstacle to Sutton realizing his awesome potential tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully, the coaching staff allows Flacco to put his money where his mouth is & allow him to sling it around next weekend. I still fear that the play calling will have him holding on to the ball for too long; leading to more sacks. 

 

As for Sutton, he's for real. He was constantly getting held after smoking his coverage on Sunday. He was super close to having a monster game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe Flaccid might be out RoS with a herniated disk. If so, slight upgrade to Sutton’s RoS productivity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...