Sign in to follow this  
Kirito-Sama

Alex Wood 2019 Outlook

• He was elite in 2017 and decent last year.
  • Con: He's good for 150 IP at the very most.
  • Con: He's moving from pitcher-friendly Dodger Stadium to GABP,
  • Con: Velo/K-rate declined last year.
  • Pro: Cincy lineup is stacked, Wins shouldn't be a problem if he pitches well.
  • Pro: He'll be working with the best pitching coach in the game- Derek Johnson.
  • Pro: He's a ground ball machine, and is very stingy at giving up the longball, so GABP might not be a huge detriment. 
  • Pro: He's being taken as around the 60th pitcher off the board right now, despite posting SP1 numbers just a year ago.

What do we think about this guy?

He's a definite target of mine this year as I really like his game. The move to GABP is the only concern I have but, like you said, he's a GB machine and that bodes well for his move. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

Got him in the 20th in a 12 team redraft.

So Dicka got Wood?  That’s riveting.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

What is everyone’s expectation when he comes back? 

Image result for spinal tap shit sandwich gif

Seems he had another setback (no pun intended). 

He's a tough case for me. On one hand I feel that he could have good success but when will we be able to get him back and when we do, will we even be able to bank on him being what we expect? 

All tough questions I know, however it's making it harder to make the case to hold.

With that said, I do tend to be a pessimist. Any other insight y'all wanna provide that could help shine some light on the situation?

Posted (edited)

I'm in dynasty & after this latest UD I've dropped. I've already used up my DL spots with other big name injuries (severino). I'm in a dynasty & I thought he wasn't worth the hold anymore.
Back issues are far too risky. After multiple setbacks the red flags have to be going off everywhere for this guy. I usually give benefit of doubt, but this is the third time it's happened, so I cut bait and moved on.

Best case scenario I pick up a young(ish) arm off waivers to sustain throughout the ROS.
Worst case I have an open spot to stream 2-start SP's.

Either way both of those outweigh holding the spot for Wood. 

Edited by bennyhbk
Added Sentence

anyone that has a place to stash holding on to this guy? resuming throwing

4 hours ago, floppy said:

anyone that has a place to stash holding on to this guy? resuming throwing

I wish I never drafted him.  I'm in a deep roto league where the wire is dire all season long.  At the time of the draft the reports were that he was behind schedule but not too far off.  I kept holding and holding, and almost cut bait after his last setback, but when I looked at the arms on the waiver wire I held.  So to answer your question, I'm still holding him.  If the league I'm in wasn't as tough as it is I wouldn't be. 

Alex Wood (back) will throw live batting practice on Tuesday.

If the workout goes smoothly, Wood should be cleared to begin a minor league rehab assignment later this week. The left-hander has been out all season while recovering from a lingering back injury. He could finally join the Reds' starting rotation sometime in early July if he is able to avoid further setbacks.

Now may be the time to stash this guy for anyone who believes he can help their team in the second half.

Just now, mmb0163 said:

Now may be the time to stash this guy for anyone who believes he can help their team in the second half.

Early July? I mean if this was some stud with a proven record,  sure. Wood isn't 

Posted (edited)

His 2017 season with the Dodgers was elite. While that is only one season, it's not like he had an awful year in 2018. 

Early July is only two weeks away. So now would be a perfect time to stash in my opinion, obviously dependent on league size and number of DL spots. I don't think anyone is expecting him to repeat 2017 but I'll take a chance on him based on the upside alone. 

Edited by mmb0163
spelling

I'm keeping an eye on him in one of my NL-only leagues.  Pitching has been my weak spot all year so I could use his services if he returns to decent form.

On 6/17/2019 at 12:31 PM, cizastro said:

I'm keeping an eye on him in one of my NL-only leagues.  Pitching has been my weak spot all year so I could use his services if he returns to decent form.

Why just NL only? This guy has looking like a top 30-40 arm for 2 years now

I know his back is an issue but once activated, the Redlegs must think he is 100%

Looks like we'll me lucky to have him back by the end of July. Is the back issue historically an issue for pitchers?

looks like a has been on his rehab. Kind of expected but he looks like a shell of his old self

4 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Any optimism here or simply a desperation stash?

Most likely on a pitch limit for the first couple of games.  Pick up and bench early on and see if he shows anything if you need pitching.

If he pitches decently, everybody will be trying to pick up.   Easy drop if he bombs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Any optimism here or simply a desperation stash?

I'm gonna take a flier on him. 

• Like 1

At least it wasn’t an arm injury. It’s pretty much a case of just getting built up and getting the bugs worked out, like spring training, if his back is truly healthy now. I don’t see why he shouldn’t be valued where he would have been in April if he were coming into the season healthy. 

Edited by Caelum