Fort4242

Dante Pettis 2019 Outlook

Debo is and will continue to be the top SF wr for the significant future. That doesn’t mean Pettis can’t be valuable but those calling him the “#1 option” need to spend time watching tape. 

Just now, tatddy said:

Debo is and will continue to be the top SF wr for the significant future. That doesn’t mean Pettis can’t be valuable but those calling him the “#1 option” need to spend time watching tape. 

Safe to say you own Deebo and not Pettis, but i'll go ahead and watch the tape. 

• Like 2

Just now, BlueDevils2202 said:

Safe to say you own Deebo and not Pettis, but i'll go ahead and watch the tape. 

I don’t own either and Pettis sits on my wire. Just a longtime 49er fan who has watched every play last 2 years. 

7 minutes ago, tatddy said:

Wat

tape says Pettis is the better route runner

13 minutes ago, crazyfingers711 said:

Isn’t Pettis out of the slot?

Negative.

1 hour ago, tatddy said:

When it comes to talent especially route running and being where the QB wants you Pettis is better than any other WR on this roster, he has a ton of ability but has to prove it over the long haul of the season.

I'm expecting a breakout performance from him Monday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tatddy said:

Deebo had 3 targets week 1 and 4 targets week 3. To call anyone with so few targets the top wr for a team is laughable.

The correct answer is that no one has emerged as the clear#1 on this team. 

I'm willing to stash Pettis this week based on the noise and what I saw from him last year as a rookie.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, raidaz18 said:

When it comes to talent especially route running and being where the QB wants you Pettis is better than any other WR on this roster, he has a ton of ability but has to prove it over the long haul of the season.

I'm expecting a breakout performance from him Monday.

Look I'm not debating talent here. Pettis has all of it in the world. I was hyping him big as a rookie before he played a game this year. I hope as much as anyone that he realizes his potential someday. 

20 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

Deebo had 3 targets week 1 and 4 targets week 3. To call anyone with so few targets the top wr for a team is laughable.

The correct answer is that no one has emerged as the clear#1 on this team. 

I'm willing to stash Pettis this week based on the noise and what I saw from him last year as a rookie.

Not sure the point of a debate here. In the first 3 games of his career Samuel leads SF with 14 targets. Next guy up has 8 and Pettis has 6. Now that's nothing for sample size but the 49ers haven't had to do a ton of work in the passing game other than in 1 and a half games so far this season. 

Samuel is a great route runner. Is he as great as Pettis? Maybe maybe not. But here is what he has that Pettis does not. Debo goes over the middle with absolutely no fear and doesn't go down after first contact. He drags DBs like a running back and has the potential to be a YAC monster. Debo also has all of the tools to be just as good if not better in the red zone as Pettis has shown he can be. 

Debo reminds me a lot of a young Greg Jennings and I think he'll steadily improve as the year goes on. 

Here's to hoping that both of these young WRs take leaps.

Both are very talented and have a potential be very good WRs. Pettis has a much higher ceiling in real football IMO. He has talent and skills to be a game breaking All Pro caliber player under Kyles play calling. Just my opinion, I’ve watched both play a lot. 

The main thing for me that separates them is Pettis’ s ability to get separation and consistently winning in man coverage. 

There's a reason why we all hyped Pettis coming into the season.  HIs performance last year was encouraging and exciting.  Yet he fell flat on his face in camp, but now we're learning that injuries played a role. You roster him now ahead of Monday's game because you don't want to have to fight for him through waivers.  If you believe his talent and situation are superior to the last guy on your bench, then you make the switch now, it's that simple.  If you don't like what you see this week, then drop for someone else.

But for those who are waiting until he goes 6-88-1 to then try to pick him up, good luck.

2 hours ago, CooL said:

There's a reason why we all hyped Pettis coming into the season.  HIs performance last year was encouraging and exciting.  Yet he fell flat on his face in camp, but now we're learning that injuries played a role. You roster him now ahead of Monday's game because you don't want to have to fight for him through waivers.  If you believe his talent and situation are superior to the last guy on your bench, then you make the switch now, it's that simple.  If you don't like what you see this week, then drop for someone else.

But for those who are waiting until he goes 6-88-1 to then try to pick him up, good luck.

Or if you're in yahoo. Pick him up tomorrow before his game. Just cut whoever sucks today

20 hours ago, blabety said:

Or if you're in yahoo. Pick him up tomorrow before his game. Just cut whoever sucks today

lol.  so sketchy.  just dropped MVS for Pettis.  LOVE IT!  Yahoo FTW

2 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

lol.  so sketchy.  just dropped MVS for Pettis.  LOVE IT!  Yahoo FTW

It’s not sketchy when it’s available to everyone in the entire league. I’m frankly surprised that there are not ma h in my league who take advantage of this but it’s probably because they aren’t as fanatic as some of us.

I am hoping for more clarity on the pecking order here, but I’m afraid that it’s going to vary week to week. If Pettis does indeed have #1 potential, then now fully healthy  is when we hope to see that show. If it’s going to be roulette for the rest of the season, I’ll cut bait easily and move on. 

20 hours ago, blabety said:

I wish I could.  In my yahoo league, all available players are put on waivers at 1pm Sunday. 

31 minutes ago, CooL said:

It’s not sketchy when it’s available to everyone in the entire league. I’m frankly surprised that there are not ma h in my league who take advantage of this but it’s probably because they aren’t as fanatic as some of us.

I am hoping for more clarity on the pecking order here, but I’m afraid that it’s going to vary week to week. If Pettis does indeed have #1 potential, then now fully healthy  is when we hope to see that show. If it’s going to be roulette for the rest of the season, I’ll cut bait easily and move on. 

I guess it is all based on your roster.  I had one expendable guy, MVS, he is in the same situation where he can be a week to week.  I think both are talented - I just think Pettis is more talented and I think that Jimmy G is thirsting for a #1 to target.  

Picking him up in yahoo league as a flier. If he has a big game he stays, if no production he will be dropped tmw for a FA. 

No risk, hella reward.

Pettis was a beast in the back end of last year. Hoping the injuries were the problem this training camp and he can show out against CLE.

As a UW guy, I love seeing his thread get bumped. Breakout tonight!! I can feel it!! 

Or 2rec 32yrds lol.

Pick him up if you have a spot open, drop him if he sucks. 

• Haha 1

Who has more upside tonight? Pettis or Deebo?

Not sure who is more of the possession guy vs. deep threat.

Need a big night out of one of these guys to pull out a victory. Have Pettis on the roster, Deebo sitting in FA.

2 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Who has more upside tonight? Pettis or Deebo?

Not sure who is more of the possession guy vs. deep threat.

Need a big night out of one of these guys to pull out a victory. Have Pettis on the roster, Deebo sitting in FA.

Deebo has a faster 40 but Pettis is more lethal with the ball in his hands. I think Pettis is the best bet for a 20 point game of the 2 as he had a couple last season already.

2 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

Deebo has a faster 40 but Pettis is more lethal with the ball in his hands. I think Pettis is the best bet for a 20 point game of the 2 as he had a couple last season already.

Yup. Pettis had 5-129-2 @SEA last year.

6 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

They both have yards after the catch as a strength to their game but imo Deebo is better at it. Deebo is 4th best WR in the NFL with his 9.3 yards after catch per reception thus far. Pettis had 7.3 last year. They do it in different ways though. Deebo is the physical freight train running back type, punishing defenders along with great speed. Pettis is the fluid finesse guy making defenders look silly with jukes.

Who's more likely to have a breakout fantasy day? I actually think they both have a good chance to come out greatly improved from their BYE tonight to surprise many. But really a crapshoot in terms of fantasy imo and most likely they will just cancel each other out in hanging that 20. Also, 49ers is a running team this year and Kittle should still be the focal point in the passing game. If anyone though? My hunch is Deebo. Very intrigued by what I have seen and the small signs Shanahan has shown starting to scheme him the ball in yac situations.