SpartyOn4

Jimmy Nelson 2019 Outlook

Of course he's about to come back the day I had to cut for injury replacements. I think he'll be the Brewers #1 SP, he'll certainly have run support.

2 minutes ago, Resident A-hole said:

Of course he's about to come back the day I had to cut for injury replacements. I think he'll be the Brewers #1 SP, he'll certainly have run support.

He’s not about to come back. Most likely still looking at May, so you have time find a hole to fit him in. 

Well the Brewers don't need another start like today

On 4/12/2019 at 5:26 PM, ST. STEVEN said:

FWIW- the breaking stuff looked REALLY good in the footage of his last extended ST start...

It's been a winding path back. I am optimistic, as long as your expectations are not overly crazy. He's had setbacks, so another would not surprise either.

I'd expect him right around the 2nd week of May or so.

Stash now while you can.

• Like 4

This is why you have a DL spot folks.  He should be owned in all competitive leagues. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm excited to have him stashed! 

"consider picking him up soon in deep mixed and NL-only leagues?"

I'd say all leagues...and sooner than later. 

Also, if he's starting rehab next week, I would hope for mid-May return.

5 hours ago Milwaukee Brewers starting pitcher Jimmy Nelson (shoulder) had another encouraging start in extended spring training on Monday, and his next stop will be a minor league rehab assignment if he bounces back as expected. The 29-year-old right-hander is nearing his season debut after missing all of 2018 following shoulder surgery. He was very serviceable in 2017, going 12-6 with a 3.49 ERA, 1.25 WHIP and career-high 10.2 K/9 in his 29 starts. Consider picking him up soon in deep mixed and NL-only leagues if he's inserted into Milwaukee's rotation when he's ready to go.--Keith Hernandez - RotoBaller

CBS report:

Nelson (shoulder) is on the verge of beginning a rehab assignment, MLB.com's Adam McCalvy reports.

Nelson has worked at the Brewers' extended spring training complex since the regular season began, and he recently threw several simulated games, the most recent coming Monday, in which he threw around 70 pitches. The Brewers have not officially decided on Nelson's next step, but according to manager Craig Counsell, "As long as we get through the next couple of days with recovery, then yes, the next step (for Nelson) is an affiliate." If Nelson is sent out as expected and begins his rehab assignment this weekend or early next week, he would be on track to join the Brewers -- and make his first big-league appearance since September of 2017 -- before May comes to a close.

Edited by Members_Only_76
fat finger
  • Like 4

Agreed. In deep and NL-Only he should've been owned a while ago. It's starting to become time to pick him up in shallow leagues... some even if you can't IL him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, taobball said:

Agreed. In deep and NL-Only he should've been owned a while ago. It's starting to become time to pick him up in shallow leagues... some even if you can't IL him. 

How high of a level starter would you be willing to cut to stash? Any starter outside the Top 60? 

Just now, Random Dude said:

How high of a level starter would you be willing to cut to stash? Any starter outside the Top 60? 

League contexts always matter, but he has far more potential value to me than most starters and in most league contexts I value him more highly than a top 50-60 starter. 

Low risk High reward situation. Not sure why they are underselling him.

Will be the ace of a very good ball club (which should only get better).

• Like 1

Have him stashed in my leagues since the start of the season. Can’t wait to see those news that he’s being activated from the DL*

• Like 1

Welp. His wife gave birth to twins. Start pushed back. Congrats! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Welp. His wife gave birth to twins. Start pushed back. Congrats! 

Perfect...What’s another week at this point! In all seriousness, I wish the Nelson’s luck. We just had our first and I cannot imagine having two at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone find any news? I can't find a thing. I know he's been with his family and babies have some complications.

6 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Am I missing something or isn't that old news? that start got pushed due to birth of twins...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

3.1 inn, 3 ER, 4 BB, 2 HA, 3 K. 

Ugh. Awful outing. Any idea what his velocity has been?

Edited by AnonymousRob

8 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I haven’t found that yet. Lots of rust I guess. Not to mention the recent family stuff. Hope he’s fine and just needs the work and to get back into baseball focus. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When he does finish his rehab stint and is in the big leagues, I'm calling it now: he'll be a lot better on the road.

Newborn twins at home?  Each and every roadtrip is going to feel like a relaxing vacation. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

Could really care less what his milb stats are tbh. Twitter said he was hitting 94 and his fb averaged 93.9 in his last year so that’s good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, KrunK said:

Could really care less what his milb stats are tbh. Twitter said he was hitting 94 and his fb averaged 93.9 in his last year so that’s good. 

I don't care about the era butt I definitely care about the walk rate.

I meannn dude hasn’t pitched in a long a** time. There’s gonna be rust.