BostonCajun

2019 Middle Relievers Thread

We had this thread last year and I thought it was very helpful for holds leagues but also for people looking to punt saves and stack relievers for elite ratios and k's. I thought I'd start by naming some of the obvious guys who have great value for elite ratios, k's and opportunities for holds. 

Andrew Miller, Betances, Chad Green, Ottavino, Stripling, Seranthony, Stammen,   Lugo, Kela are some of the guys I'm targeting. I feel they're attainable for very cheap in leagues that are still just counting saves. 

• Like 3

Ill highlight for the yahoo players 2 sp/rp guys you named Stripling and Lugo and add Castillo from TB and possibly Maeda and Strahm but the latter 2 may actually start.

• Like 1

Ottavino may be the best middle relief man out there.

Some guys I'll be looking for in Save+Hold leagues that haven't been mentioned yet:

Hader, Barnes, Alvarado, Cingrani, Watson, Hicks, Peacock, Stammen, Trivino 

• Like 2

Joe “Cy” Kelly, amazing playoff performance, should be 8th inning and used often for dodgers.

diego Castillo sp/rp rays, served as opener at times last year but will have high leverage rp innings this year and probably some save opps.

colin poche ??? Rays, probably makes mlb roster in middle relief

Fernando Romero sp/rp twins, dynamic fastball and slider. 

• Thanks 1

Trevor Rosenthal. He's not unanimously the next guy up with Barralough in the nations capital, but Doolittle doesn't exactly have a perfect bill of health. Between off days and a possible Doolittle DL stint Rosey could snag a few saves as well as a bunch of holds and good ratios. I'm thinking low 3 era, 12 k/9, 10 saves, and 15-20 holds.

• Like 3

I can't find the article and cannot remember where I saw it but it was based on finding the "next" Josh Hader type middle reliever for the 2019 year. One of the top names on the list was Chad Green. He's not going to get saves unless there is an epic collapse, whether due to injury or performance, of the NYY bullpen but his price is super cheap and his swing and miss stuff is elite. He could easily cross 100 Ks this year if they use him like they did last season. The only question I have with him is where are all these innings going to come from with how deep that bp is? He's projected for roughly 70 IP which is an average of what he did the last two seasons and he had 197 Ks between those seasons. The bullpen is even deeper than last year so do we think 70 IP is likely? 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I can't find the article and cannot remember where I saw it but it was based on finding the "next" Josh Hader type middle reliever for the 2019 year. One of the top names on the list was Chad Green. He's not going to get saves unless there is an epic collapse, whether due to injury or performance, of the NYY bullpen but his price is super cheap and his swing and miss stuff is elite. He could easily cross 100 Ks this year if they use him like they did last season. The only question I have with him is where are all these innings going to come from with how deep that bp is? He's projected for roughly 70 IP which is an average of what he did the last two seasons and he had 197 Ks between those seasons. The bullpen is even deeper than last year so do we think 70 IP is likely? 

I posted the link already in this thread.  Green has been a mainstay on all my teams the last two years, one of the best relievers in baseball without the name recognition.  They lost robertson and added Ottavino this year, the bullpen got better but not sure it's gonna effect Green's use.  He is their #1 MR for going more than 1 inning and thats not gonna change.

• Like 1

He's the only elite guy they have that can go multiple innings. He will be used in fireman situations quite frequently in the 5th-7th innings.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Green has been a mainstay on all my teams the last two years, one of the best relievers in baseball without the name recognition. 

Same here, when he still had SP elig. he was so clutch for me. He was in my lineup almost every day. If he wasn't going multiple innings/app, he was going back to back days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Good article today on Pitcher List

Bad Article due to the omission of Cy Kelly and then ranking Pedro Baez over him. Cy Kelly is going to be a force in holds league this year. The faithful will be rewarded and we will use his chosen name Cy Kelly in reverence, not in irony now.

Edited by fawkes_mulder

10 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Hinch now saying Josh James might be out of the rotation conversation. This should make James a good option for Holds

Doubt this. Pressly, Rondon, and Devenski are more likely to be getting holds. Plus James looks likely to start the year on the DL. Once James is ready it will be the McHugh / Peacock role for him.

24 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Hinch now saying Josh James might be out of the rotation conversation. This should make James a good option for Holds

This news could have an effect on Peacock as a MR since it's possible he moves into the rotation. That's being discussed in his thread right now.

28 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

This is great news for keeper leagues, price is going down. 

• Like 1

Going to add Scott Oberg to this list. Dude had the third best xFIP in the second half.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ktierne3 said:

Going to add Scott Oberg to this list. Dude had the third best xFIP in the second half.

+1 with Ottavino gone, he is the top dog, imo, ahead of Oh.

1 hour ago, BigPapi44 said:

+1 with Ottavino gone, he is the top dog, imo, ahead of Oh.

Wish Oberg struck more guys out. But good tout nonetheless.

CSB, but I run a lot of RP — so for my team construction I focus very heavily on K upside from both SP and RP (it adds up).

Ratios very nice though, appears to be good holds candidate, low walk rate (which matters for me, I play k/bb league)...8.74 k/9 isn’t horrible horrible...if it gets up a little more, I’d like him. Actually I’m talking myself into him...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Wish Oberg struck more guys out. But good tout nonetheless.

CSB, but I run a lot of RP — so for my team construction I focus very heavily on K upside from both SP and RP (it adds up).

Ratios very nice though, appears to be good holds candidate, low walk rate (which matters for me, I play k/bb league)...8.74 k/9 isn’t horrible horrible...if it gets up a little more, I’d like him. Actually I’m talking myself into him...

Important for Holds, Rox rely on their relievers because of how bad their starting SP usually are.  Their relievers have been amongst the league leaders the past few seasons to go along with their win total.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Important for Holds, Rox rely on their relievers because of how bad their starting SP usually are.  Their relievers have been amongst the league leaders the past few seasons to go along with their win total.

Looked into oberg further, he got better as season went on, slider success, more Ks. 10.34 k/9 2nd half. I’m liking him more and more. The only negative is coors home field, but whatever. I think I gotta find a way to add him, just figuring the drop is tough.

is he better than joe kelly or tony Watson? I’m a massive believer in cy kelly and tony watson really good at limiting walks too...

i think i toss back watson if I have to make a swap. My other RPs are too good to consider dropping (Diego Castillo sp/rp, Edwin diaz, Kirby Yates, Alex colome)

Edited by fawkes_mulder