BostonCajun

2019 Middle Relievers Thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bbythepier said:

 

Lets begin our search today, Ace_King.

 

1) Carlos Martinez  (49% owned in Y!)

2) Josh James   (25% owned in Y!)

3) Junior Guerra   (1% owned in Y!)

4) 

 

Lets get that extra 70-100 IP of el primo rarios and maybe even stumble into the holy grail ... an SP/RP closer!!

 

4) Seth Lugo (11% owned)

(1ip, 3k, hold today)

 

5) Should be 1 on the list. Forgot Alex Reyes (61% owned)

Edited by bbythepier
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe Biagini is flashing his Cutter and the early results were whifftastic.  Used in a high leverage spot right before Giles. Think he's the set up guy and expect a K% spike this year.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Answer said:

Shane Greene anyone?

Closer and will probably be a closer for the foreseeable future unless traded to a contender to pitch in middle relief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, bbythepier said:

 

4) Seth Lugo (11% owned)

(1ip, 3k, hold today)

 

5) Should be 1 on the list. Forgot Alex Reyes (61% owned)

 

Robbie Erlin too. He pitched 52.2 innings as a reliever last year and had dominant ratios. His ERA was 2.05 and WHIP was 0.80 out of the pen. The one quibble is he averaged a mediocre 7.5 K/9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ace_King said:

 

Robbie Erlin too. He pitched 52.2 innings as a reliever last year and had dominant ratios. His ERA was 2.05 and WHIP was 0.80 out of the pen. The one quibble is he averaged a mediocre 7.5 K/9.

Erlin has that SP designation we seek as well

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

Erlin has that SP designation we seek as well

 

 

Yup. That is key, especially if he gets a high volume role and can give us 80-90 IP from the pen in a SP slot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2019 at 6:48 PM, The Answer said:

Shane Greene anyone?

 

 

I was actually going to suggest Joe Jimenez, who could be next in line to boot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2019 at 8:28 PM, Slatykamora said:

Joe Biagini is flashing his Cutter and the early results were whifftastic.  Used in a high leverage spot right before Giles. Think he's the set up guy and expect a K% spike this year.

 

Liked his potential as a starter and he’s killing it so far. Picked him up immediately once you pointed this out. He’s gonna be a stud. 

 

1.1 2 Ks today

 

Makes it, 2.1 IP and 5 K’s in 2 appearances this year. Choo-Choo!

Edited by tucker26
Added more stats and hype!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Erlin with a 2 IP appearance. 0 ER, 2 Ks and 1 each of a hit and walk. Hopefully this is how he is used and he can become a 90 or so IP guy like Petit has been in recent years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reyes Moronta opened the season with 5K in two scoreless innings to get a hold for the Giants. Also no walks, which were his problem last year.

I think there’s a decent chance he ends up closing for SF down the road if Smith gets traded, but for now he should be a great MR option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Reyes Moronta opened the season with 5K in two scoreless innings to get a hold for the Giants. Also no walks, which were his problem last year.

I think there’s a decent chance he ends up closing for SF down the road if Smith gets traded, but for now he should be a great MR option.

I was thinking the same thing - he did blow 5 saves in 6 opps last year though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2019 at 10:28 PM, Slatykamora said:

Joe Biagini is flashing his Cutter and the early results were whifftastic.  Used in a high leverage spot right before Giles. Think he's the set up guy and expect a K% spike this year.

I second this rec. He should be their high leverage guy and SP qualified in yahoo at least. ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bcobb311 said:

I second this rec. He should be their high leverage guy and SP qualified in yahoo at least. ❤️

 

I already seconded it! 😂 You can third it!

Happy to have him. See him being viewed as a ace closer eventually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2019 at 10:28 AM, Slatykamora said:

Joe Biagini is flashing his Cutter and the early results were whifftastic.  Used in a high leverage spot right before Giles. Think he's the set up guy and expect a K% spike this year.

 

Is this a new pitch for Biagini?   He's always been ok but so far has been dominate...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somebody here may be able to steer me in the right direction regarding the Rays pitchers.  Specifically openers and bulk guys. Do we know who pitches when?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, street sharks said:

Burdi on the mound right now. Boy is nastyyy

 

Despite giving up the lead I am still lovin the kid.  He gave up a very weak infield single to lead off the 8th inning, mowed the next two guys down with nasty sliders, then threw a wild pitch and gave up a double down the line that was fair by maybe a foot before getting yanked.  All 5 outs he has recorded this year have been by the K and he has no walks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2019 at 12:04 PM, twistedude said:

I was thinking the same thing - he did blow 5 saves in 6 opps last year though.

 

Sorry, but that is a lazy stat to point out. MRs get credited with blown saves even though they aren't recorded in the traditional 9th-inning opportunity. I wish baseball would change the stat to "blown lead" or something such as that. In the one appearance that Moronta entered with a lead in the 9th, he got the final out to record the save. Of his 5 blown saves, four occurred in the 6th or 7th inning and one occurred in the 8th. I always hate seeing guys post how many blown saves a MR has, as if that has any bearing on how he'd do in a traditional closer role. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

 

Sorry, but that is a lazy stat to point out. MRs get credited with blown saves even though they aren't recorded in the traditional 9th-inning opportunity. I wish baseball would change the stat to "blown lead" or something such as that. In the one appearance that Moronta entered with a lead in the 9th, he got the final out to record the save. Of his 5 blown saves, four occurred in the 6th or 7th inning and one occurred in the 8th. I always hate seeing guys post how many blown saves a MR has, as if that has any bearing on how he'd do in a traditional closer role. 

TBH I didnt realize that, thank you for pointing out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2019 at 12:17 PM, Mongeese said:

Somebody here may be able to steer me in the right direction regarding the Rays pitchers.  Specifically openers and bulk guys. Do we know who pitches when?

 

Stanek is an opener.

alvarado primary closer but used high leverage

diego castillo high leverage, will get some saves.

jalen beeks middle relief, can go multiple innings.

chaz roe middle relief

Kolarek middle relief

Font middle relief

Yarbrough long relief

If a game starts with an opener you will likely see Yarbrough afterwards followed by other relievers.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...