BostonCajun

2019 Middle Relievers Thread

8 minutes ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

What the hell is up with Seth Lugo? getting torched... 9R (5ER) in his last 3 appearances

Not sure. Some of these MRs who were getting talked up in this thread are getting lit up. Lugo...Burdi has struggled...Moronta got hammered last night...so did Cishek. 

• Like 1

Why doesn't Yusmeiro Petit get more love in the fantasy community? He isn't a monster strikeout guy but he provides volume and quality. 91, 93 innings the last two years. 101, 76 strikeouts. The latter isn't impressive but his ERAs have been 2.76, 3.00 and WHIPs 0.95 and 1.01. His ratio impact, factoring in the volume, is better than anyone other than the super elite relievers and he will be solid in strikeouts. 2017 appears to be an outlier but 80 strikeouts seems reasonable.

2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Not sure. Some of these MRs who were getting talked up in this thread are getting lit up. 

Trivino and Stammen killin it!

• Like 1

Justin Miller for the Nats worth a look? 3 Holds so far and 6 Ks through 3.2 innings of work...

4 minutes ago, remark900 said:

Justin Miller for the Nats worth a look? 3 Holds so far and 6 Ks through 3.2 innings of work...

I'll let someone else take the plunge. He started off like a stud last year and then took up residence in Suckville, USA for a while. 

• Like 3

Thoughts on SP eligible relievers in a league that counts holds?  I like to stack my bullpen on days when I don't have a starter going and these types of guys can be very useful.  

I'm currently running with Ryne Stanek and Caleb Ferguson in my main league.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 10:01 PM, tucker26 said:

I already seconded it! 😂 You can third it!

Happy to have him. See him being viewed as a ace closer eventually. 

On 3/31/2019 at 10:01 PM, tucker26 said:

I already seconded it! 😂 You can third it!

Happy to have him. See him being viewed as a ace closer eventually. 

He has been great so far..thinking of dropping chad green for him

9 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

He has been great so far..thinking of dropping chad green for him

Has there been a change in his arsenal to lead to these first couple of weeks? If not, then I have a hard time bying into Biagini’s start. He’s never had this k rate before, and he’s had a problem giving up too many HRs and hits. He’s been better as a RP than a SP, so there’s that. I just don’t know how confident I could be in him, and I wouldn’t drop Chad Green for him. Jmho. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2019 at 11:48 PM, Flyman75 said:

Sorry, but that is a lazy stat to point out. MRs get credited with blown saves even though they aren't recorded in the traditional 9th-inning opportunity. I wish baseball would change the stat to "blown lead" or something such as that. In the one appearance that Moronta entered with a lead in the 9th, he got the final out to record the save. Of his 5 blown saves, four occurred in the 6th or 7th inning and one occurred in the 8th. I always hate seeing guys post how many blown saves a MR has, as if that has any bearing on how he'd do in a traditional closer role. 

You are right it is confusing especially as a lot of relievers come in when a blown lead is pretty much assured (1 run lead, no outs, man on third).  However, I don't think a scorekeeper can actually differentiate between a guy coming in for a "hold" purpose vs a "save" purpose.    So for example if a guy who has been pitching in the 8th inning blows a lead we generally know he wasn't in there for the save but a scorekeeper can't just assume that to be true until he comes out.  However, if a known closer came into the 8th and blows it we have no issue with it being a blown save.

Managers just have to be a little on the ball when it comes to this one...

Edited by knuckleheads

21 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Has there been a change in his arsenal to lead to these first couple of weeks? If not, then I have a hard time bying into Biagini’s start. He’s never had this k rate before, and he’s had a problem giving up too many HRs and hits. He’s been better as a RP than a SP, so there’s that. I just don’t know how confident I could be in him, and I wouldn’t drop Chad Green for him. Jmho. 

Ya, I asked this question previously but I don't think anyone has a clue here.  I googled it and checked baseball reference as well but found no mention of anything in this regard...

What about this Wendelken fella in Oakland? Seems to have become a new pitcher after missing all of 2017.

• Like 3

Anyone picking up Ty Buttrey? Looking like some pretty strong swing and miss stuff, with only a shaky looking Cody Allen ahead of him.

54 minutes ago, twistedude said:

Anyone picking up Ty Buttrey? Looking like some pretty strong swing and miss stuff, with only a shaky looking Cody Allen ahead of him.

I went for him a few days ago. I like the profile, great chance at a ton of HLDs and a few potential vulture saves. 

I kinda think Devo might be fixed...

Posted (edited)

He's (Buttrey) got skills for sure and fits into either a MR strategy or as a closer in waiting strat. Also still prospect eligible (<50 IP) if you are in a league with minors slots to cycle him in and out of depending on roster needs. 

Edited by bluefrogguy

What is Devenski's deal ? He's pitched twice and neither a hold opportunities. Is he the odd man out of this bullpen ? He really struggled the 2nd half of last year but has otherwise been pretty nasty out of the pen.

What can we expect out of Chase Anderson as a RP? He was a decent starter and has piled up the whiffs in two multi-inning appearances thus far. Can he keep producing or will he revert to mediocrity?

On 4/6/2019 at 11:05 PM, Flyman75 said:

What about this Wendelken fella in Oakland? Seems to have become a new pitcher after missing all of 2017.

3.1 innings with 4 k's yesterday...not bad at all

I will reiterate my approval of Neris from my earlier post. Got the save yesterday. Been great since his first appearance. Add now before the save vultures start picking him up!

Nick Burdi has a 19.64 K/9  and a -.47 FIP and a .571 BABIP against.  Don't let the ERA fool ya

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lukeman89 said:

Nick Burdi has a 19.64 K/9  and a -.47 FIP and a .571 BABIP against.  Don't let the ERA fool ya

All of that should be taken with a big grain of salt just based on small sample size.  He looks to me like more of a 9 K/9 guy based on his career to date.

• Like 1