BostonCajun

2019 Middle Relievers Thread

Recommended Posts

Brandon Brennan looks like a solid MR.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Chad Green had a nice inning today.

 

Edited by nlm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, davidgoretiz said:

 

 

Wow. It was in the 13th inning, just for context, if it even matters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some names I'll toss out there:
Amir Garrett (6.2ip, 10k, 1.35era, .90whip

Robert Stephenson (7.1ip, 10k, 1.23era, .54whip

 

With Iglesias working in a non-traditional closers role, they may vulture some saves. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am rostering Seranthony and Caleb Ferguson in 3 leagues. I think the get an IP uptick and the K's will be there.

 

Thinking with Robertson in town, Seranthony might be the guy that becomes that multiple IP guy, maybe I am wrong who knows, I have Tiger hangover going here

 

 

Also to the above, I am a reds fan and Amir will bite you!!! The minute you trust him and he looks good, wham, bam!! 1 IP 4 ER

 

 

Thoughts on Ottavino? Does he look off? Sitting on the wire in 3/4 of my leagues, very tempted to insert him and forget about it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

Thoughts on Ottavino? Does he look off? Sitting on the wire in 3/4 of my leagues, very tempted to insert him and forget about it!

 

Walking a lot of people but also been essentially unhittable and K's are there (13 in 8 innings).  If looking for clean ratios with K upside Ottavino is always a good add.  Could easily surpass 100 K's again this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RJWMN24 said:

 

Walking a lot of people but also been essentially unhittable and K's are there (13 in 8 innings).  If looking for clean ratios with K upside Ottavino is always a good add.  Could easily surpass 100 K's again this year.

 

 

Yeah I know. Might have to finally release some dead weight and add him.

 

I already own Pressly and Seranthony so have to dig to find a drop to acquire him

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some names, opinions are welcome. All are producing well right now in MR roles...

Trevor Gott
Travis Bergen
J.B. Wendelken
Sam Dyson
Reyes Moronta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, nlm said:

Some names, opinions are welcome. All are producing well right now in MR roles...

Trevor Gott
Travis Bergen
J.B. Wendelken
Sam Dyson
Reyes Moronta

 

You make those names up? Jk. The first three I literally never heard of. I'll have to check them out.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

April is always a risky month to be "prospecting" for middle relief. A lot of small sample sizes. I like to wait until April ends and metrics reach stabilization points.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's up with Hirano this year? With his age considering dropping him in my Saves/Holds dynasty league 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CraftyRighty said:

I am rostering Seranthony and Caleb Ferguson in 3 leagues. I think the get an IP uptick and the K's will be there.

 

Thinking with Robertson in town, Seranthony might be the guy that becomes that multiple IP guy, maybe I am wrong who knows, I have Tiger hangover going here

 

 

Also to the above, I am a reds fan and Amir will bite you!!! The minute you trust him and he looks good, wham, bam!! 1 IP 4 ER

 

 

Thoughts on Ottavino? Does he look off? Sitting on the wire in 3/4 of my leagues, very tempted to insert him and forget about it!

 

I agree with you on Garrett.  He's had a long history of looking good and then blowing up.  Last year in relief was no different but who knows.    Stephenson is really interesting to me as he sp eligibility.  Looks like the stuff and control is there but haven't had the nerve to pick him up yet... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2019 at 4:11 PM, nlm said:

Brandon Brennan looks like a solid MR.

 

A name I hadn't seen mentioned before so I looked him up on Sunday and was intrigued enough to pick him up. 

What I read was the Rule 5 roundup on FG from December.  Here's the blurb:

Quote

19. Seattle Mariners
Brandon Brennan, RHP (from Rockies)- Brennan is a 27-year-old reliever with a mid-90s sinker that will touch 97. He has an average slider that relies heavily on it’s velocity more than movement to be effective. The real bat-misser here is the changeup, which has more than 10 mph of separation from Brennan’s fastball and dying fade.

 

Today a piece showed up on Fangraphs comparing his changeup to Max Scherzer.  
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/how-mariners-rule-5-pick-brandon-brennan-is-like-max-scherzer/

Go get him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where does brennan pitch.  Would be inline for holds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Denbo32 said:

Where does brennan pitch.  Would be inline for holds?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Brennan only has one hold so far, but those numbers are solid.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Names (many have been mentioned in this thread but stats are current here) I'm keeping an eye on:

Burdi (RP - PIT): 6.2 IP, 13:1 K:BB 😵, no HLDs or SVs yet .

N Anderson (RP - MIA): 7.2 IP, 16:2 K:BB 😵.

Guerra (SP/RP - MIL): 11.2 IP, 5:4 K:BB 🤢, 1 SV, 4 HLD.

Biagini (SP/RP - TOR): 9 IP, 11:3 K:BB, 1 SV, 5 HLD.

Brennan (RP - SEA): 12.1 IP, 13:2 K:BB 😵, 2 HLD.

Ferguson (SP/RP - LAD): 9 IP, 10:3 K:BB, 1 HLD.

I'm also keeping an eye on Chad Green (RP - NYY) who seems to be getting dropped left and right.  Dude was an absolute stud for two seasons and seems to be in a very uncharacteristic rough patch.  Could be a seriously easy buy low or WW add.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Names (many have been mentioned in this thread but stats are current here) I'm keeping an eye on:

Burdi (RP - PIT): 6.2 IP, 13:1 K:BB 😵, no HLDs or SVs yet .

N Anderson (RP - MIA): 7.2 IP, 16:2 K:BB 😵.

Guerra (SP/RP - MIL): 11.2 IP, 5:4 K:BB 🤢, 1 SV, 4 HLD.

Biagini (SP/RP - TOR): 9 IP, 11:3 K:BB, 1 SV, 5 HLD.

Brennan (RP - SEA): 12.1 IP, 13:2 K:BB 😵, 2 HLD.

Ferguson (SP/RP - LAD): 9 IP, 10:3 K:BB, 1 HLD.

I'm also keeping an eye on Chad Green (RP - NYY) who seems to be getting dropped left and right.  Dude was an absolute stud for two seasons and seems to be in a very uncharacteristic rough patch.  Could be a seriously easy buy low or WW add.

 

How about adding Robert Stephenson to that list? A couple years ago he looked like he was a future TOR arm. Seems like he has found his knack in the late innings. No holds/saves yet but you have to think he will get put into those situations if this continues. The K rate is great and he looks almost unhittable. I don't usually follow RP prospects but rather the top SP prospects that tend to fail starting in the majors and get a chance in the bullpen. Stephenson looks like he could thrive throwing his 2 best pitches 99% of the time in shorter stints. The mid 90's FB is electric and the slider has been great. Add in the fact he is SP/RP and he could give those savy owners who like to have that extra RP at the SP slot. He has the looks of a future closer and could find himself as the main setup man in short order if this success continues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, corey_rideout said:

 

How about adding Robert Stephenson to that list? A couple years ago he looked like he was a future TOR arm. Seems like he has found his knack in the late innings. No holds/saves yet but you have to think he will get put into those situations if this continues. The K rate is great and he looks almost unhittable. I don't usually follow RP prospects but rather the top SP prospects that tend to fail starting in the majors and get a chance in the bullpen. Stephenson looks like he could thrive throwing his 2 best pitches 99% of the time in shorter stints. The mid 90's FB is electric and the slider has been great. Add in the fact he is SP/RP and he could give those savy owners who like to have that extra RP at the SP slot. He has the looks of a future closer and could find himself as the main setup man in short order if this success continues.

 

Oh yes please.  Only he's taken in the league in question thus I can't keep an eye on him like I can these others.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

 

Oh yes please.  Only he's taken in the league in question thus I can't keep an eye on him like I can these others.

 

I snatched him up in my 20 teamer. All of the names you mentioned are long gone.

I think all the names you listed just prove that RP can be found every year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burdi notched his second W of the year after pitching a perfect 9th with 2K’s to send the game to extras.  7.2 IP, 15 K’s to 1BB with a sub 1 WHIP and his era is under 4 now after the bad outings vs the cards

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was pretty high on Joe Jiménez coming into the year and he just continues to be horrid.  Anyone think he’s still worth holding onto with Greene cruising?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Was pretty high on Joe Jiménez coming into the year and he just continues to be horrid.  Anyone think he’s still worth holding onto with Greene cruising?

There's a reasonable chance Greene gets traded at the deadline. But I'm still not sure that makes JJ worth holding unless you're in a deep league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Was pretty high on Joe Jiménez coming into the year and he just continues to be horrid.  Anyone think he’s still worth holding onto with Greene cruising?

 

He's been closer in waiting for a long time and I suppose he will still be next in line should Greene be traded. However, he's messed up my weekly ratios a few times in the past and just can't stomach holding him any longer though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...