BostonCajun

2019 Middle Relievers Thread

19 hours ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Names (many have been mentioned in this thread but stats are current here) I'm keeping an eye on:

Burdi (RP - PIT): 6.2 IP, 13:1 K:BB ūüėĶ, no HLDs or SVs yet .

N Anderson (RP - MIA): 7.2 IP, 16:2 K:BB ūüėĶ.

Guerra (SP/RP - MIL): 11.2 IP, 5:4 K:BB ūü§Ę, 1 SV, 4 HLD.

Biagini (SP/RP - TOR): 9 IP, 11:3 K:BB, 1 SV, 5 HLD.

Brennan (RP - SEA): 12.1 IP, 13:2 K:BB ūüėĶ, 2 HLD.

Ferguson (SP/RP - LAD): 9 IP, 10:3 K:BB, 1 HLD.

I'm also keeping an eye on Chad Green (RP - NYY) who seems to be getting dropped left and right.  Dude was an absolute stud for two seasons and seems to be in a very uncharacteristic rough patch.  Could be a seriously easy buy low or WW add.

Biagini has come back to earth a bit. In his first three games, he pitched 3.1 innings and struck out 7 with one baserunner and no runs. In his last 7 games, he's pitched 5.2 innings, striking out only 4, allowing 8 baserunners and 3 runs. I wasn't really a believer in him even after that hot start, but we'll see if he can get it back. 

Love the tout on Green. I can't help but believe he gets things going in the right direction unless he's injured. 

Definitely gonna be keeping an eye on Nick Anderson.  The cream may rise to the top if he keeps up those numbers (more value in a SV+HLD IMO)

• Thanks 1

Ian Kennedy needs more buzz in holds leagues especially with a decent chance of being a regular closer option this year.   Solid so far (10.2 innings pitched, 8 hits, 1 earned run, 13/2 k/bb)...

• Like 2

On 4/15/2019 at 9:47 AM, nlm said:

Some names I'll toss out there:
Amir Garrett (6.2ip, 10k, 1.35era, .90whip

Robert Stephenson (7.1ip, 10k, 1.23era, .54whip

With Iglesias working in a non-traditional closers role, they may vulture some saves. 

On 4/16/2019 at 6:01 AM, knuckleheads said:

I agree with you on Garrett.  He's had a long history of looking good and then blowing up.  Last year in relief was no different but who knows.    Stephenson is really interesting to me as he sp eligibility.  Looks like the stuff and control is there but haven't had the nerve to pick him up yet... 

On 4/17/2019 at 11:31 AM, corey_rideout said:

How about adding Robert Stephenson to that list? A couple years ago he looked like he was a future TOR arm. Seems like he has found his knack in the late innings. No holds/saves yet but you have to think he will get put into those situations if this continues. The K rate is great and he looks almost unhittable. I don't usually follow RP prospects but rather the top SP prospects that tend to fail starting in the majors and get a chance in the bullpen. Stephenson looks like he could thrive throwing his 2 best pitches 99% of the time in shorter stints. The mid 90's FB is electric and the slider has been great. Add in the fact he is SP/RP and he could give those savy owners who like to have that extra RP at the SP slot. He has the looks of a future closer and could find himself as the main setup man in short order if this success continues.

2 hours ago, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

I'm finding this thread to be useful for the deep league I'm in.

Intrigued by Robert Stephenson and Brandon Brennan because of their SP eligibility in my league.

Thanks for the posts, good stuff.

Stephenson looked pretty good tonight. Nasty breakers and located the fb well except for the mistake to Renfroe for a double. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

any pitt fans here?  what do you guys think of Nick Burdi? im in a league that has a 6th pitching stat of k/bb and burdi is sitting at 15:1.  i usually like carrying 2 relievers like that to basically get a good starter out of them.

edit: sorry just read through lat 2 pages

Edited by jfazz23

35 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

any pitt fans here?  what do you guys think of Nick Burdi? im in a league that has a 6th pitching stat of k/bb and burdi is sitting at 15:1.  i usually like carrying 2 relievers like that to basically get a good starter out of them.

edit: sorry just read through lat 2 pages

I would definitely grab Burdi in leagues that include holds as I expect him to be in there regularly soon.  If in a saves league I would go with Nick Anderson though as he has very similar numbers and would have an easier path to saves there.   If neither saves nor holds were a consideration then Burdi would be first on my list...

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

I would definitely grab Burdi in leagues that include holds as I expect him to be in there regularly soon.  If in a saves league I would go with Nick Anderson though as he has very similar numbers and would have an easier path to saves there.   If neither saves nor holds were a consideration then Burdi would be first on my list...

How would you rank them against Moronta, who seems the be another guy in that class with elite K/9 and good ratios?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, WatchMeWHIP said:

How would you rank them against Moronta, who seems the be another guy in that class with elite K/9 and good ratios?

He was also on my watch list but was recently picked up by someone else.  I have Burdi and my next pickup would likely be Anderson regardless so Moranta wasn't a must add for me. He has a bit of history of rather high walk totals so that was what I was looking at going forward.   However, I would say short term he's a better play in holds leagues and could be next in line kind if Smith gets dealt.  Still I think high k/9 inning guys with low walk totals are just so enticing to own so that's basically what I (and many others) look for...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

Ryan Pressly is hardly being used this year.

Was literally going to say the same. I picked him up for ratio help and he hasn’t pitched in a week it seems. What’s the deal 

1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Was literally going to say the same. I picked him up for ratio help and he hasn’t pitched in a week it seems. What’s the deal 

Welcome to the Atros' bullpen usage.  As a previous owner of bullpen guys like Devenski, Peacock, McHugh and Rondon you will likely notice a lot of pitchers getting a piece of preserving leads in Houston...

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

what I mean is there bullpen is deep and they will use other guys when their team is in the lead.  They may save Pressly just for holds situations in the 8th.  I am in weekly leagues and can recall having Astros' in the bullpen that have not worked at all during a week...

Edited by knuckleheads

Thoughts on John Gant? Has SP eligibility as well so you don’t even need to jeopardize your RP slots 

On 4/18/2019 at 9:53 PM, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

I'm finding this thread to be useful for the deep league I'm in.

Intrigued by Robert Stephenson and Brandon Brennan because of their SP eligibility in my league.

Thanks for the posts, good stuff.

I'm thinking of adding Stephenson too. I know at one time he was a nice spec and seems to be doing very well

With Iglesias' volatile usage with the 9th, Stephenson isn't a horrible add when speculating for vulture saves, too.

On 4/21/2019 at 12:01 AM, Members_Only_76 said:

i'm noticing the same. unless you play in roto leagues these "ratio" guys are useless if they only pitch once a week

13 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Burdi whacked good today...

Looks like he might be done for the year the way he grabbed his arm. 

14 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Burdi whacked good today...

Left in tears.  Think his elbow broke again.  

Either tommy john #2 or a torn biceps injury for Burdi, is my guess 

sucks i picked up burdi because of this thread.  thanks losers.

jk

but i hope the guy recovers well

• Haha 1

Some guys with good ratios (most I think I've yet to see mentioned)...

Marcus Walden BOS
John Brebbia STL
Nick Wittgren CLE

• Like 1