Dirty Little Birdie

2019 Draft Day Targets (Reaches)

Where is everyone taking Daniel Murphy? I feel like so far he’s flying under the radar (seeing Yahoo Mock drafts have him at around 60ish)

To me, he’s still the same guy who went top 30 last year, just 1 year older after missing half the year due to surgery. But now he’s in the best hitter’s park. Am I crazy to reach on him?

2 hours ago, UberRebel said:

Where is everyone taking Daniel Murphy? I feel like so far he’s flying under the radar (seeing Yahoo Mock drafts have him at around 60ish)

To me, he’s still the same guy who went top 30 last year, just 1 year older after missing half the year due to surgery. But now he’s in the best hitter’s park. Am I crazy to reach on him?

Not at all.  Although hes an "old" 34,this is one guy that won t have an injury/poor year discount. At least by everyone else in your pool.  If you want him,youre certianly going to have to take him where there are still some excellent choices available.

3 hours ago, UberRebel said:

We are in a process of a slow live draft, Murphy was taken at 55. 

Do you believe or not? Is Murphy old, slow and done or he will revert back to ‘16, 17? Were those two years a mirage because the years 2012-15 were not to impressing. 

18 hours ago, street sharks said:

Re: Mallex Smith

He's moving from a dome with field turf to open/retractable roof with grass....

fQ3eoee.png

Wait, is that a good thing or bad thing for Mallex?   According to these numbers he was a lot worse on actual grass and playing at parks with a retractable roof.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zig Zag said:

Wait, is that a good thing or bad thing for Mallex?   According to these numbers he was a lot worse on actual grass and playing at parks with a retractable roof.

I think the point is that his move to SEA is a bad thing given his historical numbers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

I think the point is that his move to SEA is a bad thing given his historical numbers.

Yeah you're right, I just missed the discussion before this post so I thought he was trying to argue his numbers could improve.

So, I've finally drafted my 8 teams that I will have this year.

I'm anal in the sense that I get ALOT of the same players across the board. This is a problem to the point where it is highly detrimental to my drafts where I spend extra money on these players even if im overpaying. Without further ado, here is my general setup of players:

C - WASTELAND. I punt catchers. Some leagues I don't even have one. Although, I'd prefer to have one. Some minor targets: F. Mejia, D. Jansen (although only have him on 1 team, I'd prefer to have Danny J. on all of my teams), Wilson Ramos. WASTELAND

1b - Matt Olson (Currently on 6 out of 8 of my teams, working to get him in the other 2). 
I expect big things from power hungry Olson this year. I play in a lot of OBP leagues so he gets a mild boost there. I see him closing up to 40 homers.
Bonus targets: Bellinger, Votto

2b - Willy Adames (currently on 7 out of 8 of my teams)
Second Base is my weakest position this year (outside of punt catcher). I'm a bit of a Rays homer so I saw a lot of Adames last year. Guy had some pretty great statistics and is going for absolutely nothing in Y! drafts. I'll take it. 
Bonus Targets: G. Hampson (he's going for too much now in drafts tho), Yoan Moncada (meh), Whit Merrifield (this is my ideal target, but I generally need the money elsewhere)

3b - Matt Chapman (6 out of 8 teams and in aggressive trade talks to get him on the 7th)
This guy is AWESOME! Going for roughly $13 in Y! leagues, he is one of my favorites this year. Hoping for more like 35-40 bombs and more R/RBI's, with a slight uptick in .AVG this year from one of the very best players in the game 
Bonus Targets: Rendon (a little too expensive), Machado (I use him at SS usually tho)

SS - Manny Machado (8 out of 8 teams)
He's a bit expensive on Y! at around $34, but I'm a Padres fan so you know I had to get him as my rock, 'nuff said.
Bonus Targets: Willy Adames, Jorge Polanco (very cheap, good stats), G. Hampson

OF1 - Ronald Acuna (5 out of 8 teams)
I went into the season thinking I'd get 0 shares of Acuna. However, I ended up getting him for draft day steals in two leagues so I went and got him in a few more. He's my upside rock as opposed to my foundational rock (Machado). I can see a reality where by the end of the year Acuna is challenging Trout and Betts for pick #1 next year. 

OF2 - Tommy Pham (8 out of 8 teams)
I began drinking the Kool-aid by going over to Pham's 2019 season outlook thread. I'm a sucker for guys that produce in 5-categories and he has high OBP so he's a major boon in my leagues. Really frightened by the injury problems, but I think the upside is worth it as my OF2. 

OF3 - Aaron Hicks (6 out of 8 teams)
Another guy that gets a pretty major boost in OBP leagues. Great producer across the board. Big discount compared to his production.

Bonus OF Targets: Austin Meadows (3 teams), Franmil Reyes (7 teams), Ramon Laureano (4 teams)

Now this year I'm more of a ROTO player (5 out of 8 leagues) and also have a points league. This means that I am more cautious of starting pitching than I was when I played H2H leagues. So I went heavy with SP:

SP1: Blake Snell (6 out of 8 leagues, trying hard to get him in my 7th)
Snell is my ace. I admit that this is extremely risky. He came out of nowhere last year, but he's on my Rays. He goes for a good amount in auctions and isn't a steal. He's just a target of mine due to hometown and his ability.

SP2: Walker Buehler (6 of 8 teams, going hard for him in the other 2)
Walker is a SP1. I'm worried about his innings, and he also isn't cheap ($24+), but when he's on he's as good as it gets. Banking on him and Snell to lead me to a great ERA/WHIP.

SP3: Jack Flaherty (5 out of 8 teams)
Told you I was going hard for SP! Flaherty as my SP3 is fantastic... just read his thread here on Rotoworld and GUSH over it.

SP4: German Marquez (6 out of 8 teams)
The upside here is phenomenal. True strikeout artist. Banking on his second half being no joke.

SP5: Zach Wheeler (4 out of 8 teams) 
Another second half darlin. Hoping for the best

SP6: Joey Luchessi (5 out of 8 teams) 
My late round hope that polishes my pitching staff. Padres fan!

Bonus targets: Mike Clevinger (3 out of 8 teams, great value this year), Noah Syndegaard (1 team, love him but I decided to go with Snell/Buehler), Reynaldo Lopez (7 out of 8 teams, high K guy that could take a step forward), Joe Musgrove (3 teams), Matt Strahm (3 teamS), Tailon (3 teams, ace but not as many K's). 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

Now this year I'm more of a ROTO player (5 out of 8 leagues) and also have a points league. This means that I am more cautious of starting pitching than I was when I played H2H leagues. So I went heavy with SP:

Good stuff. You're starting pitcher targets are almost exactly the same as mine (except I have Bauer over Snell) so either we're both going to win a lot of money this year or we're both going to lose a lot. I hope you're not in any of my leagues for your final two!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Good stuff. You're starting pitcher targets are almost exactly the same as mine (except I have Bauer over Snell) so either we're both going to win a lot of money this year or we're both going to lose a lot. I hope you're not in any of my leagues for your final two!

Absolutely. If I was completely unbiased (I'm from Tampa so I pick Snell) I would 100% pick Bauer over Snell.

Snell goes for $28++ in Y! auctions while Bauer is going for $22 max, sometimes less. 

Bauer is a fantastic pick this year.