countseth

Willie Calhoun 2019 Outlook

Hoping he gets a little 2b action 

2 hours ago, hard1 said:

Hoping he gets a little 2b action 

Hoping for a little bit of that myself tonight.  Oh wait, you meant 2B as in 2nd Base, didn't you?

• Haha 2

Including the minors he has like a 20 game hit streak I believe, and they are facing a mediocre righty.  What would be the rationale for benching him tonight?  

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

Sitting 2 straight games. yay

Disappointing....Start 4 straight and sit 2. Makes zero sense. 

On 5/17/2019 at 1:02 PM, Yceman1234 said:

Hoping for a little bit of that myself tonight.  Oh wait, you meant 2B as in 2nd Base, didn't you?

You, my friend, have set the bar low. 

Yeah, makes absolutely no sense why he's sitting...again....against a RHP.  He's been on fire in every start since the call-up and even had the clutch game-tying hit in extras.  Who predicted 36-yr old Hunter Pence would the obstacle here?  Teams deserve to fail when they stupidly manage their personnel.  This kid definitely deserves consistent PT and I don't even own any shares.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Sitting 2 straight games. yay

I picked him up three days ago. My fault I think. 

27 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

I picked him up three days ago. My fault I think. 

Wait wait so did I so blame me too.

Posted (edited)

Rangers are gonna let the ghosts of Pence and Choo mess with Willie’s development. Smh. 

Edited by ragrag
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ragrag said:

Rangers are gonna let the ghosts of Pence and Choo AND MAZARA mess with Willie’s development. Smh. 

Just added to this a bit

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ragrag said:

Rangers are gonna let the ghosts of Pence and Choo mess with Willie’s development. Smh. 

This drives me nuts. Why do teams do this? Any Rangers fans have insight as to why he's not playing consistently?

Posted (edited)

I'm hoping they're making calls, trying to trade Pence or Choo (with that said, I don't know what their contracts look like, or if teams would even be interested for what they're owed...Choo's probably more likely of the two...not sure teams believe in Pence's bat outside of Arlington yet). In a way, you can't blame Woodward, both Pence and Choo are batting .300, and they've been the heart of the Rangers' offensive productivity so far. If you bench either, and their bats cool off, you're not getting as much in a trade.

Disappointing though, for sure. Let's hope Calhoun is about to find his way into the lineup the next 4-5 days. If he can get that many starts regularly until a Choo trade, he's worth holding onto.

(Don't get me wrong, I'd play Calhoun everyday if I were Woodward)

Edited by PhilaFanBoy

1 hour ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

I'm hoping they're making calls, trying to trade Pence or Choo (with that said, I don't know what their contracts look like, or if teams would even be interested for what they're owed...Choo's probably more likely of the two...not sure teams believe in Pence's bat outside of Arlington yet). In a way, you can't blame Woodward, both Pence and Choo are batting .300, and they've been the heart of the Rangers' offensive productivity so far. If you bench either, and their bats cool off, you're not getting as much in a trade.

Disappointing though, for sure. Let's hope Calhoun is about to find his way into the lineup the next 4-5 days. If he can get that many starts regularly until a Choo trade, he's worth holding onto.

(Don't get me wrong, I'd play Calhoun everyday if I were Woodward)

I'm not very optimistic for this week.  Yesterday's game was the perfect time to play him since it was a RHP on the mound.  He also should have been in the lineup Sunday against another RHP.  Ridiculous that he was benched for two straight after a 9-20 start.  SEA is throwing out LHPs today and tomorrow, then LAA has lefties going in 2 of the 3 games this weekend.  Willie might not get to play at all this week, or maybe 1 weekend start if he's lucky.  Really disheartening situation for this kid after he floundered in his first cup of tea (not counting the '17 Sept callup) and now isn't getting rewarded for his hot start during his second chance.  His play should have earned him more PT, but it is what it is.  He'd be better served being sent back to Nashville for regular ABs if he's going to ride the pine until they need a pinch hitter.

• Like 2

Same old rangers, same as last 2 seasons, they call calhoun and just play him at random times, then keep him on bench, even if he hits.

Pence with another HR last night.  That won't help Willie's cause.  I don't think he's worth owning at this point.  Just keep an eye on the situation.

Also have Logan hitting well as a super utility guy which could block some playing time. Really sucks, to read about Willie getting into the best shape he's been in for years, come back hot and have so many roadblocks in his way. Be interesting to see how things unfold.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Also have Logan hitting well as a super utility guy which could block some playing time. Really sucks, to read about Willie getting into the best shape he's been in for years, come back hot and have so many roadblocks in his way. Be interesting to see how things unfold.

yea it's crappy its basically a platoon between Willie, D Santana, Pence and Forsythe.  Forget about it when Andrus comes back on the 25th,  I can easily see them sending him back down on that date.  The problem is all 4 platoon outfielders so he might find himself the odd man out not being a veteran.

Edited by JetsAwesome
  • Like 1

If he is in a platoon at the top of the order he will still have significant value.   That is the most likely playing time scenario.

Sit against two righties, start against a lefty.  Sure why not...?  TEX game management for ya.  He'll hit 3 HRs tonight and won't play the rest of the week before getting demoted Monday morning.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

As a Rangers fan personally I don't think they really handled it that badly.  It's not their fault Willie can't really play a position and thus has to crack into the always crowded LF/DH mix, then came into last season out of shape with a bad attitude before putting up mediocre numbers in AAA.  Not exactly banging down the door.

Thankfully he came into this year in better shape, crushed it for 6 weeks in AAA, earned the callup, got it... and started 5 of 7 games.  Choo & Pence have a combined OPS over 1.0 vs righties playing all season, managers don't just bench that cold so he missed a couple games, meh.  Someone would probably get hurt, or once trade season heats up if Willie was still playing well wherever he was a move would have been made to clean things up. Choo becomes more tradeable every year as that contract finally winds down ($21 million next year).

Personally I wish they would send Mazara down for a month or two as a wakeup call that he isn't making enough (any?) progress, a league average bat as a 20/21 year old was nice, but 3 years later when hitting is your only asset it's not enough to justify being cemented into the 3/4 spot everyday... needs to find a way to get the ball in the air more.

Anyway... unfortunately for Calhoun and anyone who picked him up, he left todays game with quad tightness after running out a grounder and thus is surely out for a bit.  He had a nice 12 pitch walk in the game, too bad.  Who knows how that will play out with Andrus's return right around the corner and such, but at least he now seems back on track to get a good shot this season even if it takes a bit longer.  Wasn't so sure coming in.

Edited by WinterBall
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2019 at 9:19 PM, SuperJoint said:

Just added to this a bit

Mazara is 24 and coming off consecutive solid seasons (.250+ ba and 20 hr). Average is close to that this year and on pace for 20 HR. Completely justifiable for him to be starting consistently, so I'm not sure what point you were trying to make by grouping him in with choo and pence.