Sign in to follow this  
parrothead

Degrom v Severino difference?

Looking at a trade, on 260 cap Degrom is $38 Severino is $8.  Obviously they are both SP1's by most calculations, including me.  Obviously the $30 is huge, it would allow you to add another pretty significant piece.  The rest of the team has a lot of bargains, so it can absorb to take on some salary pretty easily.  

Would you do a Severino at 8 for Degrom at 38 straight up?

If the answer is no, what kind of piece would you need to close the gap and make the deal?  

I would hesitate making this move personally.  Hypothetically you could acquire a piece greater than what the opposing owner would likely include to bridge the gap with the saved capital, as similarly to yourself, most would view these arms on relatively the same tier. 

The NL East is, dare I say, a tougher environment on arms than even the once feared AL East this season.  Even more-so if Harper or Machado signs with the Phils.  The Yankees are also a better run producing team than the Amazins', so if "wins" are incentivized then advantage Severino again.  Scoring & contract length comes into play as well but overall the Severino deal seems like much better value here.

What an additional piece would look like depends on your teams roster construction & team need,  but for myself, it would have to exceed the type of player that the $30 lost team salary would net.

GL 

I strongly prefer Severino at 8 over DeGrom at 38. There's just too big of a difference in value. 

I would definitely make that trade.  Younger and much more value at $8.  DeGrom is the better pitcher for sure, but not 400% better which is the difference in salary.  $30 is about 12% of your cap, thats a nice surplus to spend on other players.  If DeGrom is $38, there should be some quality ones around $30.  Severino is not that much worse than DeGrom IMO.  Plus, I highly doubt DeGrom even comes close to his numbers last year.  He will for sure get more wins, but the other ratios should come back to earth.  He was fantastic last year and deservedly won the Cy Young.