King_of_Kings

Mike Trout 2019 Outlook

Would be nice if this team surrounded him with decent talent.  What a waste seeing his prime be affiliated with the Corpse of Albert Pujols eroding away behind him.  Kole Calhoun projected as leadoff hitter does nothing to sway me that Trout could have the monster campaign counting stats wise he’s capable of.  So let’s get this straight Calhoun went a full calendar baseball season at Mendoza line and the Angels big offseason idea is to promote him up in the lineup?  Interesting.  Being stuck in a crap sandwich again with Calhoun in front and human LOB machine Justin Upton behind will mean Michael will have to be driving himself in again at most times to achieve statistical prowess.  I’m taking Betts first easily just based on lineup configuration.  It’s criminal that Mike Trout be subjected to this lineup again this year.  

• Sad 1

I guess he needs a thread.  Still the king,  he's the best at... about everything.  If you have lineup concerns that's about your only complaint.  Easiest #1 pick of your life. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Would be nice if this team surrounded him with decent talent.  What a waste seeing his prime be affiliated with the Corpse of Albert Pujols eroding away behind him.  Kole Calhoun projected as leadoff hitter does nothing to sway me that Trout could have the monster campaign counting stats wise he’s capable of.  So let’s get this straight Calhoun went a full calendar baseball season at Mendoza line and the Angels big offseason idea is to promote him up in the lineup?  Interesting.  Being stuck in a crap sandwich again with Calhoun in front and human LOB machine Justin Upton behind will mean Michael will have to be driving himself in again at most times to achieve statistical prowess.  I’m taking Betts first easily just based on lineup configuration.  It’s criminal that Mike Trout be subjected to this lineup again this year.  

Yeah I looked at the angels roster, thinking they had made some improvements, but I really hate the rotation, and the lineup is blah. If they want to lock up trout again, they have to do better than the crap they are floating around him. Free agent come 2020. 

I'm not sure if it's a good sign or a bad sign we never hear a peep from Trout.

Team player or just content with getting his numbers on a mediocre team?

You'd think he would have enough at some point.

38 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I think he's fine. He has only 2 more years left of suffering then he's free.

1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I don’t think anyone really knows who or what Mike Trout is.  Probably one of the most under marketed stars of all time.  Coincides well with him being sandwiched between horrific losers his whole career.  I often wonder if he was on like say the Indians (never going to happen cheap a** bastard ownership) between Lindor and Ramirez how juicy would stats be?  We sit here and are disappointed a perennial top 3 player isn’t better surrounded.  But it just makes you wonder how high the statistical ceiling actually goes if he wasn’t relegated to being surrounded by bums/guys in wheelchairs.

• Like 2

Do non-baseball fans know who Mike Trout is?  I am guessing a lot don't.  It would be like not knowing who LeBron is and I am pretty sure everyone knows who he is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jwblue said:

Do non-baseball fans know who Mike Trout is?  I am guessing a lot don't.  It would be like not knowing who LeBron is and I am pretty sure everyone knows who he is.

Mike Trout is the kind of guy that can walk down the street and most people wouldn't recognize him. You might glance at him since he's a 235 pound jacked dude but Selig and now Manfred have done a poor job at marketing their stars. And it's not like baseball isn't popular or anything, but you don't see many of these guys in commercials or doing media hardly at all.

1 hour ago, King_of_Kings said:

Mike Trout is the kind of guy that can walk down the street and most people wouldn't recognize him. You might glance at him since he's a 235 pound jacked dude but Selig and now Manfred have done a poor job at marketing their stars. And it's not like baseball isn't popular or anything, but you don't see many of these guys in commercials or doing media hardly at all.

not everyone wants to be in commercials.

its like, making 20 mil a year  playing baseball is good enough or something...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

T.R.O.U.T. wasn't born he was designed. He's a perfect baseball player that likes his hometown sports, the outdoors, and (I guess the scientists thought it would be funny) meteorology. He has no opinions, seemingly takes no offense (Yordano Ventura yelled at him once and he didn't smile), and talks slowly enough that he doesn't say anything appreciably stupid. I love and envy Mike but he can't pass the Turing Test.

I will bid upwards of $60 dollars for him in most auction formats.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If the angels can stay healthy, and the system can get enough major league talent up to the show ( Canning, Adell, Jones/Marsh..etc) and be a playoff team, I think it will come down to a family decision on whether he stay or leaves. 

On 2/17/2019 at 10:56 AM, Cmilne23 said:

What a waste seeing his prime be affiliated with the Corpse of Albert Pujols eroding away behind him.

It's bordering on malpractice how the Angels have handled Pujols.

Since 2012, Trout's first full season with the Angels, the fourth spot in the Angels lineup has generated a slash of .251/.314/.423, good for 28th out of 30 major league teams.

It's one thing if you're the Padres (30th out of 30) and you have a tough time generating offense in that park, developing talent, attracting FA's, etc. The Angels? That's a whole other story.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The 7th Beatles said:

If he wanted to stay an Angel he would have said "I am happy as an Angel".  What he says screams "I can't wait to get out of town".

1 hour ago, B&F said:

If he wanted to stay an Angel he would have said "I am happy as an Angel".  What he says screams "I can't wait to get out of town".

Or maybe he frustrated with losing and doesn’t want to talk extension until they are winning. He still has two years. 

And he’s not getting traded 

1 hour ago, B&F said:

which he did as well

there was nothing in his interview worth dissecting with regards to his comments since he didn't say anything(which is the usual with him)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

EXACTLY.  Mike Trout seems like the type of guy that would be happy just to make a living playing baseball.  Obviously he's doing better than that...so it doesn't surprise me in the least that he doesn't complain.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

This is entirely irrelevant to the point that I was making about Selig and now Manfred. Baseball doesn't market their stars at all like the NBA and NFL do which is why a lot of them aren't even recognizable in public like a Tom Brady or a LeBron James would be. You don't need to be a fan of sports to know who they are. Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Mookie Betts, Aaron Judge, alot of casual people wouldn't recognize them in public. That's a missed opportunity for the MLB. They should market their great young stars as much they can. Would be beneficial for the MLB and the players.

Edited by King_of_Kings

48 minutes ago, King_of_Kings said:

This is entirely irrelevant to the point that I was making about Selig and now Manfred. Baseball doesn't market their stars at all like the NBA and NFL do which is why a lot of them aren't even recognizable in public like a Tom Brady or a LeBron James would be. You don't need to be a fan of sports to know who they are. Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Mookie Betts, Aaron Judge, alot of casual people wouldn't recognize them in public. That's a missed opportunity for the MLB. They should market their great young stars as much they can. Would be beneficial for the MLB and the players.

how do they market them if they dont want to be marketed?

would love to see bud selig wrestle aaron judge 

On 2/17/2019 at 12:05 PM, 2ndCitySox said:

Yeah I looked at the angels roster, thinking they had made some improvements, but I really hate the rotation, and the lineup is blah. If they want to lock up trout again, they have to do better than the crap they are floating around him. Free agent come 2020. 

He's locked up regardless so it's not really what they do this year or next but rather what they look like for the next decade+ because that is what Trout would be signing on for assuming he signs an extension. Yes, they need to do more, but it's moreso showing him that they're setting themselves up for sustainable success moving forward.

I believe the offseason moves by the Angels(all 1yr deals) was a sign of them gearing up to offer Trout a record breaking extension. Assuming that gets done, I'd expect them to be a bit more aggressive in FA in 2019/2020 since they'll be secure in knowing that Trout is there for the long haul.

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

how do they market them if they dont want to be marketed?

would love to see bud selig wrestle aaron judge 

Are you telling me out of hundreds of quality pro baseball players, none of them want to be marketed? There's alot of NBA and NFL players that you see in the spotlight but nobody in the MLB. Their league has always been behind the curve and it still is. 

Edited by King_of_Kings

No way Trout signs back with this garbage franchise. If he wants to stay in the area he will sign with the real LA team. Most likely end up in PHI or NY.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

No way Trout signs back with this garbage franchise. If he wants to stay in the area he will sign with the real LA team. Most likely end up in PHI or NY.

Real LA team that hasn’t won WS in 31 years?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Don't know how credible this source is:  

Edited by TheK1d