King_of_Kings

Mike Trout 2019 Outlook

50 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Position player with a groin strain vs a pitcher with upper back pain? Shirley, you can’t be serious with this analogy

Hold on why is that a bad analogy?  I think Trout is probably fine but outside of elbow-related (eg triceps) and lat, groin seems like the worst muscle injuries your could expect out of a position player as far as time missed and fantasy stats sapped.

Again probably not the case with Trout given how gung-ho he is about getting back, but at face value I don't see why a batters groin and a pitchers upper back are laughably different concerns from a fantasy POV.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Hold on why is that a bad analogy?  I think Trout is probably fine but outside of elbow-related (eg triceps) and lat, groin seems like the worst muscle injuries your could expect out of a position player as far as time missed and fantasy stats sapped.

Again probably not the case with Trout given how gung-ho he is about getting back, but at face value I don't see why a batters groin and a pitchers upper back are laughably different concerns from a fantasy POV.

Putting my holiday inn express doctor hat on:

Backs and Shoulders are much much more difficult to detect/asses things than a groin. You know pretty quickly how bad a pulled groin you have. Anyone that has dealt with shoulder injuries knows that its hard to even get a solid diagnosis with MRIs

And Clevingers particular injury was relatively rare.

Edited by Magoo

50 minutes ago, Simsanityy179 said:

Sorry I meant I’m getting the vibe that he’s going to be placed on the DL and miss about a month. I hope I’m wrong 

From the reports Trouts being overly cautious and has said he’d be playing if it were late in the season. I trust him more than Clevenger because I’m still bitter the angels traded him 

29 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Putting my holiday inn express doctor hat on:

Backs and Shoulders are much much more difficult to detect/asses things than a groin. You know pretty quickly how bad a pulled groin you have. Anyone that has dealt with shoulder injuries knows that its hard to even get a solid diagnosis with MRIs

And Clevingers particular injury was relatively rare.

Not really. In the shoulder there are 4 rotator cuff muscles, then the upper arm and upper back muscles.  In the groin there are 5 adductor muscles, then the upper leg and gluteal/lower-back muscles. Anatomically there is just as much nuance involved in one vs the other. Strains, tears, avulsion fractures can happen in both cases with a wide range of timeframes.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Not really. In the shoulder there are 4 rotator cuff muscles, then the upper arm and upper back muscles.  In the groin there are 5 adductor muscles, then the upper leg and gluteal/lower-back muscles. Anatomically there is just as much nuance involved in one vs the other. Strains, tears, avulsion fractures can happen in both cases with a wide range of timeframes.  

The shoulder is the most flexible joint in your body and the top of your humerus sits in a very shallow socket, much like a golf ball on a tee. Totally different and even the closest thing to it (the hip) doesn’t move as freely as the shoulder. It’s also connected to muscles like the one Clevinger injured. And labrum tears are notoriously hard to both accurately detect and recover from for pitchers.  It’s really not close

Is there some sort of new news I'm missing? 

Looked minor when it happened. Looked minor when he was standing in the dug out. Report post game is its minor. 

What changed? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Magoo said:

The shoulder is the most flexible joint in your body and the top of your humerus sits in a very shallow socket, much like a golf ball on a tee. Totally different and even the closest thing to it (the hip) doesn’t move as freely as the shoulder. It’s also connected to muscles like the one Clevinger injured. And labrum tears are notoriously hard to both accurately detect and recover from for pitchers.  It’s really not close

🙄The hip is also a ball and socket joint, has a labrum that can tear, and has over 20 muscular connections between the leg pelvis and even lower back some very similar to the teres major. Both injuries can be both difficult to diagnose, nuanced, and in their worst forms can be long recoveries for athletes. Not to mention your original comment was mocking someone for bringing up and "upper back injury" in comparison to a groin injury, not shoulder to hip joint.  We're getting the thread off track here though.  If you want to continue this you can message me.

7 hours ago, treat88 said:

Is there some sort of new news I'm missing? 

Looked minor when it happened. Looked minor when he was standing in the dug out. Report post game is its minor. 

What changed? 

Nothing.  Just getting sidetracked about the nature of injuries. Far as I can tell Trout is still DTD but hoping to be back imminently.

8 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Out again Friday.  Get well soon, Mike.

Really bad weather sealed it for today. Even if he doesn’t play this weekend I don’t think that necessarily means panic

4 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Really bad weather sealed it for today. Even if he doesn’t play this weekend I don’t think that necessarily means panic

51 and windy is really bad weather? 

I would much rather they take tremendous precaution here than let him come back early, no matter how fine Trout himself says he is. It's a long season, boys.

• Like 3

Sunday weather is supposed to be even worse than today. Sit him all weekend save a pinch hit appearance 

Per Angels twitter, Trout won't appear at all the Cubs series (he's still in LA)

2 hours ago, Blood Brother said:

Seems pretty precautionaryish. However, I dont ever like the words "re evaluated",especially when it comes to trout.

I’m good with him sitting for a week if I don’t lose him for 6-8

• Like 3

2016 was his last injury free season.  Starting to get a little nervous..

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stickfig13 said:

I’m sorta concerned. He was mashing before the injury. 

I know, his OBP might drop below .550.  Oh noes!

As he promptly goes yard. 

Edited by treat88
  • Like 1

When does he start to play like the #1 pick? He’s been pretty mediocre since the injury. 

What he's doing this year has gone so far under the radar it's sort of unfair to Trout. He's currently sporting arguably the best triple slash line of his career with .295/.466/.633 and a wOBA of .445. He's also having career numbers for Hard% (45.1%), SwStr% (4.7%), Contact% (92.8%), O-Swing% (16.7), and ISO (.338). He's walked more times than he has struck out (61 BB to 48 k's) and he's nearly driven in more runs than the number of times he's been k'd (44 rbis to 48 k's). He already has 15 doubles which is nearly half of his career best (39) he had in both 2013 and 2014. I would say that he's been performing like the number one pick since the beginning of the year and that the counting stats are catching up with this streak he's been on recently. He truly is the most fun player to watch that I can remember. 

• Like 8

They need to create another league for him at this point. Just have him face top 5 pitchers because everything else is a joke.