sngehl01

Wander Franco for Jeff McNeil and Garrett Hampson WHIR

Who would you guys rather have? I can see either way, Franco has uber upside and hype right now, but may very well not be in the majors for at least 2 more years. Even then, he'd only be 19. 

It is a head to head fantasy points league. No penalty for K's (not that any are a real K liability). I think the fact it's points really helps McNeil.

McNeil and Hampson may have the lower proverbial ceilings, but both have the chance to be impact players this season and for another decade if things break right. Hampson as Colorados 2B can easily post double digit power with 40 SB's and a strong avg/obp. McNeil was solid in his first showing, but was pretty unknown before 2018. 

Does Francos season in rookie ball (which was outstanding and Vlad-like) give you enough confidence to take him over two guys who can help in the more near term and be above average assets in a keep forever dynasty? Is it close, or do you clearly prefer one side? 

WHIR, just drop a link. 

I think I'd keep Franco. 

I don't know much about him, but the hype is really high. With another year under his belt, he could enter top prospect type of hype similar to a Tatis Jr. 

While Hampson and McNeil are nice gets, especially for the right now, there's a potential that you could be able to swap Franco for a top tier talent as soon as midseason or the end of this year. 

I think I'd have to hold put here. 

I'd stick with Franco.  His numbers are better than Vlad's at the same age in rookie ball.  I do like Hampson and McNeil, but McNeil is basically limited for ABs right now, especially if he doesn't field the OF well.  There is a chance that by this time next year Wander is the top prospect in baseball.  That could fetch you WAY more than Hampson and McNeil at that point.

Thanks guys. I usually prefer proximity more than raw upside (too many intangibles for minor league guys and trying to project major league ability). IMO a guy like Franco has Lindor or Machado type upside, where McNeil and Hampson would more likely cap out at being slightly above average MLB'ers more so than super stars. Like Dozier or Kinsler or something, but with shots at posting strong BA/OBP's to go with solid other counting stats. 

I do think a guy could really capitalize on Francos upside later this year or next summer if he solidifies his prospect stock with strong showings at A+/AA. He would net a very nice return (kinda like how vlad is now). 

Edited by sngehl01

Stick with Wander, neither of the other two have nearly the ceiling and aren't guaranteed any PT at this point 

Keep Franco & move two other players for the met & rockie. What does ya team look like? 

2 hours ago, footy1 said:

Stick with Wander, neither of the other two have nearly the ceiling and aren't guaranteed any PT at this point 

Hampson is getting all the PT he's the Rockies new starting 2B after DJ went to the Yankees 

You're asking if 2 guys added off waivers in 2018 who don't have full time gigs locked up for 2019 are worth greater than or equal to the heir apparent to the best prospect in baseball? 

3 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

Hampson is getting all the PT he's the Rockies new starting 2B after DJ went to the Yankees 

For now he does but what if he struggles for a few weeks and Brendan Rodgers takes his job, he's not the only option

3 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

Not a guarantee when the manager says Mark Reynolds is going to see time there in the spring.  Seems like there could be at least some competition.  I'm not saying Reynolds is legit competition, just that if the manager is out there saying they are trying him at 2b, there is no way that was their first option.

12 hours ago, hypeiz4real said:

You're asking if 2 guys added off waivers in 2018 who don't have full time gigs locked up for 2019 are worth greater than or equal to the heir apparent to the best prospect in baseball? 

Oh yeah great point, where was Franco added from? o.O

On another note: I tend to value proximity over upside (within reason, of course). McNeil just killed the ball last summer in the minors (19 HR, 26 2B, 5 3B, 36 BB, 42 K, .342 BA and .511 slugging) in just 88 games. I don't think he's suddenly a 35 homer guy, but I do think he can put up a strong BA/OBP/SLG to go with 25 homers and double-digit steals. He was good on his call up, and his playing time is foggy as of today, I think he'll have a near every day starting job between the OF and IF. 

Hampson I'm also really big on. 110 games, 10 HR, 25 2B, 6 3B but 36 SB. Real strong OBP and AVG. Was not a disappointment on call up either. Really young. I think he's the 2B of the future for Colorado, even if it's not opening day. I think he can also immediately contribute, double-digit homers and 30+ SB would be not be a stretch by any means. The ceiling definitely exceeds that. 

I love Franco. I really do. I just don't want to sit on a guy for years, especially with a team that's known to slowly bring along their prospects. There aren't any glaring red flags for Franco either, he's just very young and far away for my tastes. 

For context: This is in a league where at any given time around 100 prospects are rostered. There is no separate MiLB farm, so a roster spot used by a prospect is dead space. Not a huge deal (18 teams, 40 man rosters), but that's a lot to sit on for years. Plus so much can change for a guy in that time. 

There is only 1 reason I'd prefer to have Franco, and that would be as trade bait. I wouldn't be interested in holding him long term. I would be interested in flipping him sooner rather than later. If I am taking guys for my actual fantasy team, I go McNeil and Hampson (I'd nearly take either 1 of them over Franco, but would definitely take both instead). If going for raw value to deal, then it's easily Franco. 

Thanks for the discussion, have enjoyed seeing the other viewpoints. 

10 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

Oh yeah great point, where was Franco added from? o.O

On another note: I tend to value proximity over upside (within reason, of course). McNeil just killed the ball last summer in the minors (19 HR, 26 2B, 5 3B, 36 BB, 42 K, .342 BA and .511 slugging) in just 88 games. I don't think he's suddenly a 35 homer guy, but I do think he can put up a strong BA/OBP/SLG to go with 25 homers and double-digit steals. He was good on his call up, and his playing time is foggy as of today, I think he'll have a near every day starting job between the OF and IF. 

Hampson I'm also really big on. 110 games, 10 HR, 25 2B, 6 3B but 36 SB. Real strong OBP and AVG. Was not a disappointment on call up either. Really young. I think he's the 2B of the future for Colorado, even if it's not opening day. I think he can also immediately contribute, double-digit homers and 30+ SB would be not be a stretch by any means. The ceiling definitely exceeds that. 

I love Franco. I really do. I just don't want to sit on a guy for years, especially with a team that's known to slowly bring along their prospects. There aren't any glaring red flags for Franco either, he's just very young and far away for my tastes. 

For context: This is in a league where at any given time around 100 prospects are rostered. There is no separate MiLB farm, so a roster spot used by a prospect is dead space. Not a huge deal (18 teams, 40 man rosters), but that's a lot to sit on for years. Plus so much can change for a guy in that time. 

There is only 1 reason I'd prefer to have Franco, and that would be as trade bait. I wouldn't be interested in holding him long term. I would be interested in flipping him sooner rather than later. If I am taking guys for my actual fantasy team, I go McNeil and Hampson (I'd nearly take either 1 of them over Franco, but would definitely take both instead). If going for raw value to deal, then it's easily Franco. 

Thanks for the discussion, have enjoyed seeing the other viewpoints. 

Then take advantage of the Wander hype train and pull in a real haul for him. Or sit on him for a year, see how he develops then pull in a real haul for him.

15 minutes ago, Khahan said:

Then take advantage of the Wander hype train and pull in a real haul for him. Or sit on him for a year, see how he develops then pull in a real haul for him.

Agree with this. 

I don't have Franco. Was talking to the Franco owner and mentioned how I preferred having McNeil/Hampson. Then it spiraled into this. 

Spoiler alert: Franco owner on this thread too, haha. 

I just have a hard time offering trades I can't justify. Which is weird, because some of my trades come off as insulting to others but I don't think they're bad, then I see deals go down for prospects and I'm like, yikes. 

A "real haul" would not be Hampson/McNeil. 

Sure Wander was an add, all new players get added to the pool at some point. The point was that McNeil and Hampson don't have gigs locked up in 2019.  Matter of fact, both have better odds of not having a starting gig. 

To suggest that McNeil and Hampson have more value simply because they'll log MLB at bats in 2019 is wild. 

Seems like you already have your opinion and just want validation from anyone. Your not going to get it. Easy answer, Franco.

But its your team, go ahead and make the trade.

I like all pieces in the deal. However, Franco is the answer. It's just not a good use of the asset. If you wait 2-3 months and Franco continues to shine in the minors you could have the next Acuna, Soto or Vlad jr. to offer around in trade. I think come July you could get a much better piece for Franco if you still want to deal him then!

• Like 1

Franco and it's simply not even remotely close for me- and I am a big McNeil fan. But he's trending towards losing the 2B eligibility, which impacts his value. He also may be capped at 400 or so ABs unless he's dealt or injuries occur. Hampson feels like a nice little player, but who knows how he shakes out with COL and their penchant for not giving rookies/young guys full time jobs--he also could be transitioned to CF at some point too? Both guys, while talented have little pedigree too. No reason to deal Wander unless it's a super over-pay, he's only gonna increase in value as he works his way through the system. Many smart baseball people feel as though he's a lock to see big league ABs as a teenager, I wouldn't worry about his ETA--even with it being the sloth-like-promo Rays. He's good enough to dictate his timeline to a certain degree.

As an owner of Franco in a dynasty league no way in hell I even consider this deal. I want a lock top 50 guy in return at minimum that’s young. I will eventually be trading Franco plus a good prospect and an okay one.  All three are 1-3 years away. I am getting a young stud sp who is already a top 7 guy in return and the owner made sure Franco was jn the deal as he was the centerpiece. Franco has huge value already so again I’d onkg settle for a top 50 guy now that’s jn there mid 20’s. 

I like Franco for sure here as well... just because at his current pace in the minors he's on the same hype train as Vlad and Soto.