Sign in to follow this  
Sidearmer

Steven Matz 2019 Outlook

7 hours ago, PPolanco said:

4 starts ago he was looking like a great draft value and solid contributor.

He's definitely for 12+ teams but in those formats (where he should be owned) I wouldn't really change his valuation. He's a bottom of the roster inconsistent contributor but he's still definitely serviceable

A great draft value?  Even prior to his disastrous last 4 starts, Matz had a 3.88 ERA and a 1.37 WHIP.  Hopefully Matz was nothing more than a late round flier in most leagues, but still those numbers, especially the WHIP, don't fly even for a late round pick and while I know Matz hasn't exactly set the bar high, those numbers were disappointing and worse than Matz's usual mediocre ratios prior to this year.

looked decent in a tough road start?  was on a pitch count, but what are people thinking moving forward?

8 hours ago, KidDynamite420 said:

Pitched a complete game.. Is it a trap? 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Since that horrific June, Matz has been pretty good. Good ERA, good WHIP, good K/BB, cut the HRs drastically. Just the one bad start in his seven July-Aug starts. 

8 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Since that horrific June, Matz has been pretty good. Good ERA, good WHIP, good K/BB, cut the HRs drastically. Just the one bad start in his seven July-Aug starts. 

For those of us still suffering ptsd from the absolute carnage of the 10 runs before getting a single out game, he will never be on our  teams.  

2 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

For those of us still suffering ptsd from the absolute carnage of the 10 runs before getting a single out game, he will never be on our  teams.  

Um, okay. Thanks for sharing? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cesare13 said:

Solid logic.

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2019 at 10:26 AM, Cesare13 said:

That's how you lose at fantasy sports. I streamed him that game, just picked him back up. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Not a chance. 

I'm tempted, not gonna lie. He should get the win at least. But sitting is probably the right decision here.

Based on what I can see on Yahoo, it seems plenty people have added him for his two-start week potential although those are 2 tough matchups. But he has been on fire recently so...

really want to, but not worth the risk.  @cinci (his 2nd start) isnt a cupcake of a park either, so not like he could balance it out....

Just now, Del Rio said:

Absolute trash, wow

What a fn bum. Way to bury my era on Monday of the championship. You suck.

Gotta just eat that L, he's had a good second half, even better if you smartly decided to ignore a Coors start. Not sure how anyone can get away from Matz home vs Miami, baseball happens. I like him next year as a back end starter for cheap. 

On 9/24/2019 at 11:05 AM, brockpapersizer said:

Gotta just eat that L, he's had a good second half, even better if you smartly decided to ignore a Coors start. Not sure how anyone can get away from Matz home vs Miami, baseball happens. I like him next year as a back end starter for cheap. 

This is the even keeled POV, but it’s kind of hard to be even keeled when he blows up your ratios at the beginning of the week against the Marlins. I owned him and thank God I owned him in the league where my finals were last week (benched at Coors). Reality is, this guy is still an average, injury prone, inconsistent pitcher. Nothing has changed, no step forward for him. He will most likely be on and off a good amount of teams next year.

Edited by hangin n wangin

22 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

this guy is still an average, injury prone, inconsistent pitcher. Nothing has changed, no step forward for him. He will most likely be on and off a good amount of teams next year.

I don't necessarily disagree with this assessment, just think that has value in a lot of leagues. He's someone I'd probably rank as a top 60-75 SP, which is actually above average in real life. In a shallow league that guy is on the wire a lot. While he's injury prone, I dont think there will be a high price tag on him come draft day, so that may not matter too much.  When he's on for stretches, he puts up top 30-40 stretches.

Sucks that he sucked in the final week in the season against a bad lineup.  A start that no owner could get away from in any league still going. It's still just one start.