SwayzeExpress

Jonathan India - 3B, CIN

Weird there's no thread on him. 5th pick of his draft class. He hit .350/.497/.717 in 2018 for the Gators with 21 dingers, 15 bags, and a 56/60 k/bb. Seen him ranked as high as 18 (prospectslive.com), 26 (IBW) and 48 (razzball). He's got a great balance of plate discipline, power, and speed. Here's prospectslive's writeup on him in their Reds prospect rankings.

2. Jonathan India, 3B 

Highest Level: A-

.240/.380/.433, 6 HR, .193 ISO, 129 wRC+, 23.9% K%, 15.2% Bb%, 6 SB

Selected fifth overall in the 2018 draft following a prolific collegiate career at Florida where he hit .310/.411/.530 with 31 home runs and 41 stolen bases in 193 games. India is a complete player with the ability to impact the game in a variety of ways. His feel for the strike zone, advanced approach, elite bat speed, and smart base running make him a multi-faceted offensive threat. While his good first step, natural instincts, and above-average throwing arm promise him a future in the dirt.

At the plate India’s bat speed, strong hands, and smooth hips stick out. He coils well and almost corkscrews in his follow through using his lower half and core to generate torque. It’s one of the better swings in the minors in my humble opinion and one I could spend hours watching. It’s actually kind of impressive just how balanced and fluid his motion is, even staying on line on pop-ups. His frame doesn’t scream middle of the order bat, but it’s easy to see there’s a lot more power there than you’d expect at first glance. Slight uppercut bat path, and it feels like he’s able to consistently make contact at the precise moment his bat path begins to rise, allowing him to drive balls to his pull side with regularity. A lot of India’s profile at the plate reminds me of Mookie Betts, if only from an aesthetic standpoint. Similar coil, similar trigger motion in their hands, and a heavy reliance on using elite bat speed to rip pitches to the pull side. That’s not to say India is some future MVP, but he has the rare pretty right-handed swing.

Overall there is a case to be made that India was the best player drafted in the 2018 class. If only due to his balance of skills, which on its face is not much different from what the Reds have in Senzel. It was an easy choice taking India over Trammell, as I have just as much faith in the former Florida star delivering a similar impact offensively while providing a significant amount more value in the field. Every year there’s a highly drafted college player with the ability to ascend to the bigs swiftly. ETA: 2020

• Like 2

Starting out pretty poorly but the power numbers are there for now. Hopefully, his contact will come in line soon. Didn't expect to see him struggle until AAA, given his history. 

We are still at the point in the year where a 4 for 4 day adds almost 30 points to your average. I am not really worried yet. We are 250 at bats into his pro career and I think he will get it figured out. He has a fantasy friendly game so I am willing to be patient. Obviously, we all want prospects to crush lower levels, but I am giving him at least another 100-200 at bats before I start to re-evaluate the decision I made in dynasty leagues with India. 

SEC is roughly comparable to FSL, so yeah it's sort of a minor let down.

Still, have to remember he took a heater to the hand and that might be affecting him too? It was right about when he was heating up.

He seems to take a little time adjusting, as his low-A numbers did not look esp good last year.

I am still a big fan, as @thezing1 points out, his skill set is awfully conducive to the fantasy game.

So far he has been a disappointment. Is he still ranked in the top 50 of prospects?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rasto21585 said:

So far he has been a disappointment. Is he still ranked in the top 50 of prospects?

he looks solid but he has to sell out for power to some extent, due to frame. I can see a Major League peak along the lines of .265-28-85 with a decent clump of steals. Probably not a first-class On base guy. 2nd division all-star if things work out well, but he is far from transcendent. 

Diclaimer: I've only seen college highlights + scattered footage of him in the Minors. But you can tell a lot about a guy from limited looks. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

Promoted to AA. I know a lot of folks had this guy earmarked as the number one pick of FYPD. Decent numbers in A. Someone to watch that could put it all together at any point imo. 

Showing life in AA. OPSing 877 since the promotion. Over 1.000 the last 10 with 11 walks and 7 ks. Still not exactly mashing but you gotta love the plate discipline. 

I could see a Rendon type career arch, mid 700 ops for the first few years then he taps into the power and pushes it well over 800. Probably never gets to what Rendon has done the last few years tho, being over 900 consistently. Also think India hits for a good bit less power but steals a lot more bags.