SpecialFNK

Mitch Garver 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

two off deGrom last night on a 4/5 night, and one off Diaz tonight.  

what to make of this?   The Twins have 3 catchers.

Garver would be a nice catching option, especially in 2 catcher league, if he should get starting level ABs.  Hopefully he pushes the issue with his play, cuz with Castro & Austidio the PT could be inconsistent and sporadic.

Really an unfortunate situation for Garver from a fantasy perspective.  Castro is superior defensively, and Astudillo's bat is strong enough to steal some starts at Catcher as well.  Has value when in lineup but starts will be sporadic.

Ultimately, really just nice to see him past the concussion woes which plagued the end of his 2018 season.

• Like 1

I picked him up this morning as my catcher even though he won't get more than 3-4 games a week.
I'd rather have his 3-4 games than the 5 games from the catcher i had which produced 1R, 1RBI and a .147 average.
He hit .291 in AAA in 2017, with 17 HR's and a .928 OPS in 320 at bats.

He even played a bit of 1B and OF in 2017 so if he hits well enough, who knows.  The twins could have 3 catchers playing at once.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Daily leagues can use him as backup c. If he usually plays sundays that would be great.

Third game in a row not playing, Two for Castro and then Astudillo today.

I was hoping he had hit his way to more playing time, but not evidenced by the last 3 days.

He could be one of the better fantasy catchers out there if he played 60% of the time

As a Twins fan, I hope the FO looks to move Castro at some point. Garver has definitely improved enough behind the plate where he is not a big liability anymore. He and Astudillo should be getting all the reps at Catcher. 

22 minutes ago, gopherman23 said:

As a Twins fan, I hope the FO looks to move Castro at some point. Garver has definitely improved enough behind the plate where he is not a big liability anymore. He and Astudillo should be getting all the reps at Catcher. 

Castro is garbage. What are they doing ever trotting him out there over Garver and Tortuga? God I hate how dumb some of these managers and GMs are in baseball.

2 hours ago, bradwatson said:

Castro is garbage. What are they doing ever trotting him out there over Garver and Tortuga? God I hate how dumb some of these managers and GMs are in baseball.

Isn't Castro their best defensive catcher? 

Garver would be fantasy gold with more playing time.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:33 AM, daethfromabove1979 said:

Isn't Castro their best defensive catcher? 

Garver would be fantasy gold with more playing time.

He is.  It is his saving grace right now, though with how well both Astudillo and Garver are hitting he may get phased out anyway.

As mentioned above, Garver has made strides defensively.  Castro may work best with a middling staff.  To his credit, Castro also has a .360 OBP in the early going; not as though he has been a disaster with the bat.  Likely will continue to be a fantasy quagmire unless Castro gets moved.

With Astudillo out, is Garver in line for more ABs or is Castro still the main person blocking him?

1 hour ago, Del Rio said:

With Astudillo out, is Garver in line for more ABs or is Castro still the main person blocking him?

Twins fan here.  I'd argue Castro is the big impediment - especially given Castro is playing well - though Astudillo being on the shelf can only be a positive for Garver's playing time.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RJWMN24 said:

Twins fan here.  I'd argue Castro is the big impediment - especially given Castro is playing well - though Astudillo being on the shelf can only be a positive for Garver's playing time.

I hope you are talking about Castro's defense since he is hitting awful this season and has for most of his career.  If he's in the way of Garver becoming the main catcher, then their manager needs to be taken out behind Target Field and, well, you can figure out the rest...

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I hope you are talking about Castro's defense since he is hitting awful this season and has for most of his career.  If he's in the way of Garver becoming the main catcher, then their manager needs to be taken out behind Target Field and, well, you can figure out the rest...

Castro has an .853 OPS this season.  I certainly don't expect that to continue, but to say he is hitting awful is simply false.

2 hours ago, Del Rio said:

1 hour ago, RJWMN24 said:

Castro's catching strength is that he's a great pitch framer.  On top of that, he's hitting over his head.
So Castro is still going to get a good share of the catching.

Astudillo has had 15 of his 48 at bats this year while playing catcher.

Even playing half time, Garver could be a top 5 catcher.

3 hours ago, RJWMN24 said:

Castro has an .853 OPS this season.  I certainly don't expect that to continue, but to say he is hitting awful is simply false.

His OPS is inflated by a ridiculously high/unsustainable walk rate and a severely inflated SLG% because he hit a HR today.  Hitting a HR with his limited ABs raised it higher than it should have.  The next time he goes out there and does nothing, his OPS will plummet like it should be.  4 games ago his OPS was .610, so in all reality, he is still is hitting awful when you take into account how a good game or two inflated otherwise mostly awful overall stats (outside of his still inflated OBP).

Castro is a fine backup catcher because of his catching skills.  That is exactly what he should be though, nothing more.

I won't argue Castro is anything other than a light-hitting Catcher whose plus defense keeps him at the MLB level.  The larger point is he is an impediment to Garver's playing time, especially with Castro on a hot streak himself.  

In any event, Garver starting today.

Posted (edited)

Mashing again lately and rocking a 1.208OPS. That's good folks.

Any chance he starts more than 1 of 2 games? They must realise now his potential with the stick, it's a pain they can't stick him at 1B or DH on some days to keep his stick in there. 

He's been well worth holding even despite not being a regular, only Sanchez and Contreras have been better this year in a somewhat resurgent year for C so far. 

He's been batting high up in their lineup too so they must believe in him.

Edited by swfcdan

Incredible what this guy is doing at the worst position in fantasy and somehow he is only 50% owned and gets no pub. Playing time be damned - he's out performing nearly all catchers.

4 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

Incredible what this guy is doing at the worst position in fantasy and somehow he is only 50% owned and gets no pub. Playing time be damned - he's out performing nearly all catchers.

Agreed...."playing time" is vastly overrated by fantasy owners.  Would much rather have a guy who mashes 4 days a week vs.a guy who gives you a string of golden sombreros 7 days a week.

-I was wondering wtf is going on here and found this article by Jeff Zimmerman where he fell into his AAA super sleeper group trying to identify the next out of nowhere breakouts.

Age between 24-27 with these AAA stats:

13.4 BB% (AAA average - 8.8 BB%)

26.6 K% (AAA average - 21.3 K%)

38.4 GB% (AAA average - 43.6 GB%)

.250 ISO (AAA average - .150 ISO)

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/why-we-missed-wendle-muncy-voit/

-Mitch's 8 hr is currently 3rd for catchers behind Gary Sanchez (11 hr) and Wilson Contreras (9 hrs).

Raking but still can't get anything close to regular PT. With Tortuga back are we looking at 50% at best now?

Doesn't help that Castro is hitting also and is the better defender. Oh fantasy if only we could just have one spot and roster all Twins catchers, if only...

Posted (edited)

Mitch Garver was removed from Tuesday's game against the Angels with an apparent leg injury.

Garver took the brunt of a home-plate collision with Shohei Ohtani in the top of the eighth inning and had to be helped off the field. He didn't appear to be putting any weight on his left leg, which obviously isn't a great sign. There should be an update soon from Minnesota. Garver slugged a two-run homer in the third inning and boasts a .323/.418/.747 batting line with nine home runs and 19 RBI in 25 games this season. Losing him for an extended period would be a tough blow for the Twins.

Edited by tonycpsu