SpecialFNK

Mitch Garver 2019 Outlook

High ankle sprain.  I guess it...could be worse?

High ankle sprains are minimum 4-6 weeks so yes, an IL stint to come..... That’s as obvious as teets on a cow. 

2 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I missed picking him up cause I didn't believe the early seasons return, and then when I went to make a move he had been snatched up.  I feel sorry for the owner who has him that now has to find a replacement.

Very sorry indeed.  Cause catcher is rough this year.  Even rougher than normal.  Poor guy. 

Eh.  Someone else will emerge from the woodwork.  Heck, maybe Astudillo becomes a must-own now.

9 hours ago, bcobb311 said:

At this point I’m going to start mainlining gasoline and playing with matches because of all the injuries so far. 

This one hurts. 

I hear ya. I get 4 DL spots. My DL has been completely filled everyday since week 2. Basically just rotate guys in and out. Stash guys on the bench until one guy comes off DL etc.  Not sure whether to stash Garver or not. Probably will do it but I have a bad feeling this will derail his season. That's his landing foot when batting and he's gotta push against that to generate power.

Posted (edited)

Rocco Baldelli said that the MRI on Mitch Garver’s left ankle revealed “positive news.” Though it’s still characterized as a high ankle sprain, Rocco thinks Garver’s time on the injured list will be shorter than initially feared. #MNTwins

Mitch Garver just talked to media and called it the “best-case scenario.” He said no bruising or discoloration, no major inflammation. He’s wearing a boot but said the pain is manageable.
Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, papasmurf said:

I hear ya. I get 4 DL spots. My DL has been completely filled everyday since week 2. Basically just rotate guys in and out. Stash guys on the bench until one guy comes off DL etc.  Not sure whether to stash Garver or not. Probably will do it but I have a bad feeling this will derail his season. That's his landing foot when batting and he's gotta push against that to generate power.

I have all 5 spots filled and the likes of Clevinger, Tailon, and Glasnow eating up bench spots on top of that. This season sucks. Garver was a replacement for an injury and just killing it when he was in the lineup. 

Still could be a huge breakout season when he returns. No way I can cut him. 

Garver (ankle) started rehab Thursday but remains in a walking boot, Casey Stern of MLB Network Radio reports. He's expected to return in 2-to-3 weeks.

Spin: Garver was placed on the injured list Wednesday due to a left ankle sprain, though it would appear that he won't be activated following the 10-day minimum. If all goes well in his rehab, the 28-year-old backstop could be back by the end of May.

Do you think Garver will return soon and continue hitting like he did before?  

23 minutes ago, Jason123 said:

Yes ..... No

22 hours ago, Jason123 said:

Does sound like he should be back somewhat soon.

I think he will maintain a solid average and counting stats but the power is going to regress big time. Just hope he will get lots of ABs, Castro and Astudillo have both slowed down offensively so that helps.

I had dropped him in a shallow league when he went on the DL. 

But then after some thought I made room on the bench to stash him.  Not only are his stats superior to most catchers, but the Twins bat him leadoff and even at DH a few times.  This guy has potential to be a top 5 catcher in baseball, fantasy-wise.

• Like 1

Garver (ankle) caught a full game behind the plate Friday for Double-A Pensacola and is likely to be activated from the 10-day IL shortly, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.

Spin: He could be activated from the IL as soon as Saturday. He's been playing in rehab games since Monday as he recovers from a high ankle sprain.

• Like 1

Its frustrating how little this guy seems to play. Hard to argue with the Twins record though.

As others have said, he does more in three games than other catchers do in three weeks.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

Its frustrating how little this guy seems to play. Hard to argue with the Twins record though.

Agreed. He seems like such a better play than Castro yet they continue to sit Garver. 

He should play in the next two games but it does suck that he does not get to play 3 games in a row. Castro average is starting to plummet but i guess they value his defense and game calling skills. 

1 hour ago, Dalton Gang said:

Agreed. He seems like such a better play than Castro yet they continue to sit Garver. 

Yeah!  No wonder they have the worst record in baseball!  Oh wait

MIN offense is rollin' and they are winning.
With Cruz back that's one less spot in the lineup.