SpecialFNK

Mitch Garver 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

Sits so much you need to own two catchers. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Castro with two homers tonight, now he is never going to play!

Edited by Dalton Gang

Earlier this year I briefly rostered all 3 Twins catchers, but eventually I dropped Castro and Tortuga and only held Garver. I wish I had held Castro and am going to try to re-add him. It sucks to carry 2 catchers in a 1 catcher league, but if you held both Castro and Garver in a daily league and started whoever was starting for Minnesota you would be getting by far the best production at catcher this season.

Combined stats:

22 HR, 57 runs, 53 RBI, .920ish OPS

Alex Bregman:

22 HR, 56 runs, 54 RBI, .919 OPS

That's a top 20 player regardless of position, and you would be getting it out of the worst position in the game. It warrants the additional roster spot imo

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

Sitting against Matz??? Why?!?!

Just that too, it’s preposterous. They didn’t play yesterday so he got a day of rest but he’s sitting against a lefty today? he has an OPS of 1.207 vs lefties this year!! 

8 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Just that too, it’s preposterous. They didn’t play yesterday so he got a day of rest but he’s sitting against a lefty today? he has an OPS of 1.207 vs lefties this year!! 

Very frustrating. Luckily tomorrow they get Vargas

Ranks 6th (SIXTH!!) overall with a 160 wRC+ in the entire MLB when you change to minimum 100 PAs. 

Trout

Y.Alvarez

Bellinger 

Yelich

Springer

Garver (tied with Gallo)

An unreal season he’s having. And he doesn’t come in as a negative defender. A lot goes into it when you’re talking catchers (framing, throwing out base runners, personal catchers for SP, etc.), but the fact that he’s not getting much more time than Jason Castro is crazy.

• Like 3

On 7/3/2019 at 4:24 AM, bradwatson said:

Earlier this year I briefly rostered all 3 Twins catchers, but eventually I dropped Castro and Tortuga and only held Garver. I wish I had held Castro and am going to try to re-add him. It sucks to carry 2 catchers in a 1 catcher league, but if you held both Castro and Garver in a daily league and started whoever was starting for Minnesota you would be getting by far the best production at catcher this season.

Combined stats:

22 HR, 57 runs, 53 RBI, .920ish OPS

Alex Bregman:

22 HR, 56 runs, 54 RBI, .919 OPS

That's a top 20 player regardless of position, and you would be getting it out of the worst position in the game. It warrants the additional roster spot imo

I'm bumping my own post because I think Garver owners need to take notice here. I actually tried out this experiment for a while, but I swapped out Castro for Danny Jansen in case Jansen is breaking out. Either way - Garver + Castro = the best fantasy catcher in the game and now a top 15 player regardless of position. Yes rostering 2 catchers sucks, but when you get a top 15 player out of the worst position in the game it's well worth it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bradwatson said:

I'm bumping my own post because I think Garver owners need to take notice here. I actually tried out this experiment for a while, but I swapped out Castro for Danny Jansen in case Jansen is breaking out. Either way - Garver + Castro = the best fantasy catcher in the game and now a top 15 player regardless of position. Yes rostering 2 catchers sucks, but when you get a top 15 player out of the worst position in the game it's well worth it.

Okay, but........ Garver by himself is the vast majority of those stats: 68% of the runs, 77% of the homers, 74% of the RBIs, and Castro actually brings their combined OPS down to .920; Garver is 1.000+ on his own... 

EDIT: JUST KIDDING!! I didn't realize how old your original post was.  I was looking at your numbers from 7/3 vs. Garver's numbers today.  That's my bad.  Castro isn't that horrible.

I really don't think it's worth rostering 2 catchers.  Like I already said in here, just give me Garver's ~3 games a week and I'm a happy camper.  No need to waste that roster spot when you could have another bat, stream a SP... hell, I'd even take a middle reliever that gives me a ratio boost and some Ks over Castro.  I still stand by this, though.

Edited by JJ1223

What's even more amazing than Garver's production is the fact that he still doesn't even play as much as a regular starting catcher.

• Like 1

This guy is just putting up stupid numbers. Stupid. Why don't they play him more, I don't understand?

Garver- (205 PAs) .304/19 HR/42r/41 RBI

Goldschmidt- (419 PAs) .248/19 HR/57r/48 RBI 

Less than half the plate appearances. HALF! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Garver- (205 PAs) .304/19 HR/42r/41 RBI

Goldschmidt- (419 PAs) .248/19 HR/57r/48 RBI 

Less than half the plate appearances. HALF! 

That’s actually really depressing as a Goldy owner. I’m going to go jump of a bridge.

• Haha 2

If I owned shares I would jump off a bridge.

1 hour ago, B&F said:

If I owned shares I would jump off a bridge.

As someone who has dealt with 364 Catchers this year, the Garver playing time conundrum could be far worse.

He’s largely been very good and reliable when he plays. The split time is annoying but at least he’s productive, unlike 95% of Catchers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mehtavg2000 said:

This guy is repeatedly getting 2 days off in a row.  

Yeah... I became used for the every other day plan. It was manageable. This is now absurd.

And when he plays, he homers folks. Give him some 1B if need be goddamnit, just get his bat in there regularly!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Catching the day game today after a night game. I nearly fell out of my chair.

Edited by RoadApple
  • Haha 2

It’s a LHP again today. Garver MASHES against lefties- 1.176 OPS, 197 wRC+. I mean, that’s Mike Trout-level production. 

He’s simply very, very good v. RHP- .881 OPS, 124 wRC+. The problem: Castro is pretty damn good v. RHP (.911 OPS, 134 wRC+) himself. 

So Garver will continue to basically start v. all LHP and maybe a RHP or two, depending on the week. 

• Like 1

Even Stugotz and Lebatard have learned who this masher is!