SpecialFNK

Mitch Garver 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

5 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

He’s officially played 81 games, so half a season. Double his numbers (I know it’s not that easy, but for fun):

.275/120 runs/56 HR/122 RBI

His 156 wRC+ is 7th in MLB (minimum 300 PAs). 

He’s a catcher, so would never play a full 162, but he could’ve/should’ve gotten to 40 HR/100/100 with more consistent playing time. 

Imagine sitting this type of production consistently because of catcher defensive metrics (which are questionable at best) for Jason Castro, who BARELY measures out as more valuable defensively anyway. 

7 hours ago, mehtavg2000 said:

I dunno.  Maybe the other catcher who gets a minimum of 50% load?

hes now more and more an option in my keep 8 OPS roto league....

4 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

Castro is at .858 versus RHP..so not that crazy a difference.  Add in that Castro is a better defensive catcher..and sitting often keeps Garver rested. 

he should be DHin when hes not catching.  he should be given the Gary Sanchez treatment...

16 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

he should be DHin when hes not catching.  he should be given the Gary Sanchez treatment...

You want to bench Nelson Cruz?

20 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

You want to bench Nelson Cruz?

can he not play OF once or twice a week? and i was talking about next year as well.  Cruz prob wont be there

Edited by jfazz23

49 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

can he not play OF once or twice a week? and i was talking about next year as well.  Cruz prob wont be there

Cruz has a 2 year deal, includes next year at less than he makes this year.

.275 avg, .1010 OPS, 30 HR... in just 82 games! 60 homer pace. Best fantasy catcher in the game this season and was free in every league.

• Like 4

On 9/10/2019 at 10:09 PM, bradwatson said:

.275 avg, .1010 OPS, 30 HR... in just 82 games! 60 homer pace. Best fantasy catcher in the game this season and was free in every league.

what round do you think he goes in in an OPS league...or a standard 5x5 for that matter? 1 catcher league

On 9/24/2019 at 8:14 PM, jfazz23 said:

what round do you think he goes in in an OPS league...or a standard 5x5 for that matter? 1 catcher league

Guess the question is does he get more regular AB's next year as the primary catcher rather than just a split? As he really needs to be playing more than half the games.

Hopefully Castro's deal is up and he'll be send packing, leaving Mitch as the primary guy behind the dish.

• Like 1

There are a lot of changing factors at play for Garver moving into 2020. So far I’ve seen that Jason Castro could leave for FA which would be huge for his AB’s. Garver could be moved to 1B which would be great for next year as he’d retain catcher eligibility in 2020. But not as great for dynasty owners who would value him more as their catcher, like me. The last factor at play is the unjuicing of the baseball. If they go back to the normal ball which they’re rumored to have already done for the mlb playoffs, is Garver a massive regression candidate? He, himself called out MLB for changing the ball in the playoffs. 

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sports/mitch-garver-thinks-mlb-changed-baseballs-for-the-playoffs