Sign in to follow this  
durel_arroyo

Shut down risk candidates 2018-2019

With fantasy playoffs just around the corner (3 weeks for some leagues), who do you think are the guys that are in risk of being shut down by their teams?

Random DNP:

1. Conley, Love, Teague (if Min out of playoff race), Leonard

2. Boston: depending on their position and if they are fighting for a spot, i am curious about Irving and Horford

3. Milwaukee players if they are easy first approaching PO

Most teams are unlikely to shut down anyone - it doesn't happen nearly as often as it's feared. Most cases of shut down are simply a player getting hurt and being held out longer rather than risk reaggravating the injury.

Edited by akund

AD and Love are the two biggest names that come to mind. Pelicans literally are asking nba to reconsider their rule on sitting him out, so that is clearly their intention (and probably AD's even if he says different to the media). 

7 minutes ago, akund said:

Most teams are unlikely to shut down anyone - it doesn't happen nearly as often as it's feared. Most cases of shut down are simply a player getting hurt and being held out longer rather than risk reaggravating the injury.

Tell that to all the former owners of guys who were studs all season then shutdown like: Gasol, Gortat, Oladipo (orlando days), Cousins (sac days). I had all of these burn me over different seasons and there were definitely more. They all had full shutdowns in certain seasons I owned them right at start or a week before fantasy playoffs. 

Edited by richg24

I'm not that worried about Love. He could get some random DNPs but I don't see him as a major shutdown risk. The Cavs are still terrible with him and the new lottery odds help. They're locked into the bottom four so a big finish to the season could only drop their odds of getting the top pick 1.5%. He's also not stopping some young stud from getting minutes.

AD is the only one that really jumps out to me. The top teams in the East won't shut anyone down. The Bucks and Raps will be fighting for HCA the rest of way and will be trying to stay ahead of the Warriors. Boston and Philly will be trying to jump ahead of Indy and avoid a brutal first-round matchup. 

14 minutes ago, BillWalton said:

I'm not that worried about Love. He could get some random DNPs but I don't see him as a major shutdown risk. The Cavs are still terrible with him and the new lottery odds help. They're locked into the bottom four so a big finish to the season could only drop their odds of getting the top pick 1.5%. He's also not stopping some young stud from getting minutes.

AD is the only one that really jumps out to me. The top teams in the East won't shut anyone down. The Bucks and Raps will be fighting for HCA the rest of way and will be trying to stay ahead of the Warriors. Boston and Philly will be trying to jump ahead of Indy and avoid a brutal first-round matchup. 

For Love it doesn't have much to do with the fact that he may cause them to win a few more games (that is unlikely anyway), and way more to do with preserving his health. He has been injury riddled for the past 2 seasons, playing only 59 and 60 games. He is not a young guy anymore and they want to keep him healthy to maintain his trade value, they paid him a lot of $ remember and the rebuild is on.

If I had to make a prediction, I don't think he will be shutdown unless he gets injured again, but will still only play approx 50% of remaining games. 

Booker is a total glassman. And with the Suns all but certain a bottom 5 record, I believe he is the biggest shut down risk in the NBA. 

DJ, though not quite a high end player, figures to be a shut down candidate down the stretch as well

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, justaguy said:

Booker is a total glassman. And with the Suns all but certain a bottom 5 record, I believe he is the biggest shut down risk in the NBA. 

DJ, though not quite a high end player, figures to be a shut down candidate down the stretch as well

yes agree strongly with both

23 minutes ago, justaguy said:

agreed. just waiting for this week to end so I can pick up josh jackson

GSW players  random DNP for rest or fake injury. I had kevin durant last year, and lost in first week of playoff due to fake injury. 

20 minutes ago, samatz82 said:

GSW players  random DNP for rest or fake injury. I had kevin durant last year, and lost in first week of playoff due to fake injury. 

so did I. how did I forget KD and Curry. always risk of missed games at that point, not shutdown but a missed game per week is probably more likely than them playing every game in playoffs. 

1 hour ago, El_Chingon said:

This thread reminds me of why roto is so much better than H2H.

Meh. It just adds to the excitement of it all. It's a game at the end of the day and games are supposed to be fun but Roto guys wouldn't know anything about that :)

40 minutes ago, justblazedawg said:

Meh. It just adds to the excitement of it all. It's a game at the end of the day and games are supposed to be fun but Roto guys wouldn't know anything about that :)

Excitement, as in a dice roll.  For that you can go to Vegas or play fantasy football which is luck over skill.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, justblazedawg said:

H2H doesn’t necessarily add to the excitement of the game, that’s subjective. It adds to the variance of the game. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Excitement, as in a dice roll.  For that you can go to Vegas or play fantasy football which is luck over skill.

H2H 9Cat is far from a dice roll. I go to Vegas and play FF too :) Nothing comes close to 9Cat H2H for me personally. 

4 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

H2H doesn’t necessarily add to the excitement of the game, that’s subjective. It adds to the variance of the game. 

It definitely adds to the excitement if you play with friends. Roto is just way too boring, I've tried it several times. Half the fun is s--- talking with buddies. As addicted as I am, I try not to take fantasy TOO seriously and accept the variance. Gotta remember it's only a game and I need it to be fun above everything else. 

We do H2H with 90% of the pot going to the SEASON winner and not he Playoff winner. It rewards good team management and most of the variance is in the playoffs. It's much harder to be 1st seed in the season vs win playoffs. 

Edited by justblazedawg

6 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

There is also a lot of skill in h2h, arguably more skill than roto. Roto is more draft dependant than h2h. In roto if you have some big injury blows early it can pretty much take you out of it whereas in h2h you can still squeak out weekly wins or negate losses by only losing 4-5 etc. 

There is also a lot more luck in h2h simply because during playoffs its easy to have a great team lose to a bad one since the variance during 1 week is very high. Over a full h2h season the best teams rise to the top just as they do in roto, but that can all end when a few guys sit games, the other team has some scrubs go off for career games and end up with like 6 more games played than you and you're done. Roto basically eliminates all of that variance. H2h is frustrating but to me it is way more fun than roto

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just pick from the two types of teams below-

1. Playoff seeding set and has enogh lead. Will rest the stars.

2. Out of playoff team that has a chance at lottery and wants to tank. Will rest stars and play rookies/2nd string.

What will blow the minds of H2H guys is that it IS roto, it simply has a three week run off at the end among top teams.