Sign in to follow this  
ST. STEVEN

Joe Musgrove 2019 Outlook

He's definitely entered "let him be someone else's problem" territory. His margin for error is very slim without an overpowering out pitch and he's getting straight demolished right now. Pair that with the Pirates being an incomprehensible mess and I don't see where all the improvement is going to come from.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

are you sure? I'm seeing he lines up for DET on 6/19 which would be a 1 start week.

I seen that too so it must have changed and pitt is going to use a opener in Tuesdays game

1 minute ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

I seen that too so it must have changed and pitt is going to use a opener in Tuesdays game

I'm now seeing mixed signals....some sites have him as a 2 start week....some says TBD. Nonetheless, DET at home?

i don't see how you can trust starting him at all right now. i've got him buried deep on my bench. i play in a 10 team h2h. for whatever reason, i'm giving him a lot of leeway. still holding on to the hope that he will turn it around in the next couple of weeks. 

Well, pretty quiet here after a heck of a turnaround start, and the signs really point to him getting it figured out too:

FA- I admittedly have not charted him in a bit, but I know reports were that he was missing more than a couple ticks with it, but it was pretty well back last night at least as he averaged 93.6 MPH with it and generated a ton of spin/vertical action with it, threw 34 with an awesome nearly 80% strike rate and 68% swing rate, plus 4 whiffs

SI- also really crisp at 93 mph average and good drop, threw 13--9 strikes with 9 cuts and 3 whiffs

SL- was back in a big way, killer action--both dive and esp dart movement, spun in 39--23 strikes with 17 hacks at it and 7 whiffs, sat 85 mph

CU- only 8 but good tilt, threw in for 6 strikes with 5 swings and a couple whiffs

FC- the cut job was even working, good velo spot on spectrum at 89 mph and nice actions, only 4 but all for strikes and all offered at with 1 whiff

CH- threw in 7 for good measure, at about 87 mph with 5 going for strikes and those 5 were also swung at...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

today Musgrove went 6 IP, 9 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K.did Musgrove get lucky today or is Musgove the last 2 starts a sign of things to come.

the good and the bad and the ugly

had Peacock starting vs PGH (bad and ugly)

had Musgrove on the bench vs HOU (bad)

oh wait ... those are both bad and ugly .... where's the good?

17 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

today Musgrove went 6 IP, 9 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K.did Musgrove get lucky today or is Musgove the last 2 starts a sign of things to come.

A little bit of both

per cbs, looks like a 2 start week, both at home, next week vs the brewers and cubs. i'm a little hesitant but, my other option is a 1 start jon gray on the road vs the d-backs so, i might roll the dice on JM. then again, just looked at his splits. he's actually slightly worse at home vs on the road (opponents BA .269 vs .228). almost identical innings pitched for home and away so, seems like legit numbers.

http://rotoprofessor.com/10-important-stories-from-06-27-19-box-scores-promising-pitching-performances-canning-musgrove-under-the-radar-hitters-more/

Musgrove Throws a Gem
Facing the Astros is a daunting task for opponents, so it is likely that Joe Musgrove on many benches yesterday. And if that was the case, you missed out on six shutout innings from the right-hander who picked up his sixth victory of the season. It has been an up and down season for Musgrove, who lowered his ERA to 4.27, as he also now looks to get back on track after his wrongful ejection against the Braves. However, things could have been worse for Musgrove as he was able to navigate through nine singles while striking out five batters. It did work in Musgrove’s favor that he didn’t walk a batter, and for the season he has been quite efficient walking just 2.18 batters per nine innings. With a 3.59 FIP, it is very possible that we see Musgrove continue to get back on track, and while there have been some frustrating starts, I wouldn’t give up on him just yet.

Musgrove only went 3 IP lat night because of rain, but was impressive. 3 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 4 K.

I also see this..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mildly disappointing start, but wasn't helped out from his defense as I understand it. Anyone who watched able to comment?

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

Mildly disappointing start, but wasn't helped out from his defense as I understand it. Anyone who watched able to comment?

Corey Dickerson stinks, pretty much.

He committed an error losing the ball in the lights in the 1st with 2 outs. Run came around to score and spiked Musgrove’s pitch count. STL kept fouling off balls all night.

Then gave up a cheap infield single to start the 3rd that was first ruled out. Goldschmidt “doubled” with 1 out to score him. But Dickerson dropped the ball at the wall when he jumped for some reason. Ball hit the heel of his glove. It got ruled a double. Then he came around to score after a single and sac fly.

Then his night ended with a 2 run homer when he was at about 100 pitches. 

His line looks worse than it should have been for sure.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 20Duval904 said:

Corey Dickerson stinks, pretty much.

He committed an error losing the ball in the lights in the 1st with 2 outs. Run came around to score and spiked Musgrove’s pitch count. STL kept fouling off balls all night.

Then gave up a cheap infield single to start the 3rd that was first ruled out. Goldschmidt “doubled” with 1 out to score him. But Dickerson dropped the ball at the wall when he jumped for some reason. Ball hit the heel of his glove. It got ruled a double. Then he came around to score after a single and sac fly.

Then his night ended with a 2 run homer when he was at about 100 pitches. 

His line looks worse than it should have been for sure.  

Agreed.

Another night with poor weather, he's been getting a bit unlucky with that as well. 

Posted (edited)

Probably done after 6 today, and what a gem performance. 6 innings, 2 walks, 2 hits 1 unearned run, 8 strikeouts.

Edited by AnonymousRob
  • Like 2

I do not understand this guy at all.  Is he good or not?

41 minutes ago, B&F said:

NOT 

Posted (edited)

Just cant use him ever.  He has nick pivetta disease.

Edited by Cesare13

1 hour ago, B&F said:

Depends on the day and there’s no rhyme or reason.