FollowTheLeader

2019 IDP Rankings/Talk

•  5 hours ago, thebadferret said: "Imagine Devin White going to the Lions. That could be a good IDP LB."

I've been reading Cincy or Cleveland are the likeliest landing spots. Though the Lions tagging Ansah may leave LB as an early draft option, and the Lions could certainly beat other teams to the punch, as they have an earlier pick. Maybe Josh Allen who fills both OLB and Edge needs :shrug: dude is a beast in his own right, but yes, White is the top LB, especially if looking to fill the MLB/dot roll. *although, drafting White would single they are moving on from JDavis (who is under contract through 2020), or at least moving JD outside...

*badferret: I tried to move yours, and my post from the locked thread, but it wasn't a very smooth transition. Sorry, brah...

Edited by FollowTheLeader

My mistake. It looks like DET has declined to Tag Ansah, IMHO leading the way to possibly drafting DL/Edge talent over a MLB. JAllen fits the mold/draft slot...

Posted (edited)

No matter where DL Nick Bosa lands post NFL draft, I will be avoiding him in fantasy, unless he falls drastically in fantasy drafts (I have ~4 IDPs ranked ahead of him, regardless of landing spot.)

I did not like what I saw at the combine, and I agree with Willie Mcginest, who described Bosa as looking extremely stiff, and completely "manufactured." He looked totally out of his element in just about ever phase of the combine, and it didn't appear to just be rust.

Side note: I know he plays on the defensive side of the ball, but in drills that required Bosa "catch" the ball, he failed...miserably.

On 3/11/2019 at 1:26 PM, FollowTheLeader said:

No matter where DL Nick Bosa lands post NFL draft, I will be avoiding him in fantasy, unless he falls drastically in fantasy drafts (I have ~4 IDPs ranked ahead of him, regardless of landing spot.)

why and who? 4 IDPs ahead? i'm set at DB, but i'm still trying to figure out LB / DL needs and value. certainly, landing spots will reveal much, but right now, i only have one IDP ahead of nick bosa

white.jpg

Posted (edited)

I posted the following reasoning for NOT liking Bosa in my previous post: "I did not like what I saw at the combine, and I agree with Willie Mcginest, who described Bosa as looking extremely stiff, and completely "manufactured." He looked totally out of his element in just about ever phase of the combine, and it didn't appear to just be rust.

Side note: I know he plays on the defensive side of the ball, but in drills that required Bosa "catch" the ball, he failed...miserably."

IMHO Bosa appears to have already reached his ceiling. His body looks completely maxed out (no fluidity to his movement/looks very awkward and uncomfortable), and his skill set has been honed to the max, much like his physical attributes by his NFL family members, hence the term, "manufactured." At this point I think Bosa is counting on his brand/name to set his market, but I'm not sure the nfl his truly buying (it only takes one though)...I know I'm not.  I hope one of my fantasy mates drafts him high, pushing other talent down to me.

I am highly interested in: LBs DWhite (White being the #1 IDP) and DBush + DLs: MSweat and RGary (if they remain DEs, which for Gary seems a given).

LB JAllen to a lessor extent, as his production will be very DST scheme/position designation dependent; don't want him as an Edge/OLB designation (dings his scoring output in my league).

1 hour ago, FollowTheLeader said:

I posted the following reasoning for NOT liking Bosa in my previous post: "I did not like what I saw at the combine, and I agree with Willie Mcginest, who described Bosa as looking extremely stiff, and completely "manufactured." He looked totally out of his element in just about ever phase of the combine, and it didn't appear to just be rust.

maybe i should study his combine performance more closely, but the combine doesn't necessarily translate to NFL productivity. in college, the little bosa was a force, and i particularly like the way he lunges: he's a straight-ahead pass-rusher, and it's an all-or-nothing move to use your momentum in a lunge, but he's more on the money than not. and i'm not talking about the multiple sack games against weak offensive lines (like UNLV), but the battles against top lines (like wisconsin and michigan state).

i agree with you it's ill advisable to break the bank on him, and that people drafting nick but expecting joey may fall short, but if a wrecking ball doesn't destroy the combine, i'm ok with that. vontaze burfict, justin houston, navorro bowman, and terrell suggs all had poor combines but came on strong as young nfl stars. just sayin'.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

maybe i should study his combine performance more closely, but the combine doesn't necessarily translate to NFL productivity. in college, the little bosa was a force, and i particularly like the way he lunges: he's a straight-ahead pass-rusher, and it's an all-or-nothing move to use your momentum in a lunge, but he's more on the money than not. and i'm not talking about the multiple sack games against weak offensive lines (like UNLV), but the battles against top lines (like wisconsin and michigan state).

i agree with you it's ill advisable to break the bank on him, and that people drafting nick but expecting joey may fall short, but if a wrecking ball doesn't destroy the combine, i'm ok with that. vontaze burfict, justin houston, navorro bowman, and terrell suggs all had poor combines but came on strong as young nfl stars. just sayin'.

To expound further: it wasn't Bosa's combine numbers, but his combine actions that turned me off. I watched the entirety of his workout, and he looked abysmal in his movements throughout the drills, and not just the drills that were measured/timed.

ps: "and i particularly like the way he lunges: he's a straight-ahead pass-rusher, and it's an all-or-nothing move to use your momentum in a lunge, but he's more on the money than not" <this tells me he will be designated as a rush OLB or a situational pass rusher from the DL, neither of which is a consistently high scoring position (in my fantasy league at least :shrug:)

"Chiefs acquired DE Frank Clark from the Seahawks in exchange for the No. 29 overall pick and a 2020 second-round pick.

The teams will also swap third-round picks this week. The Chiefs have a pair of 2020 second-rounders, and the Seahawks will get whichever is lower. The Chiefs needed pass-rushing help as they continue their retool for a 4-3 defense, but this is a steep price for an effective pass rusher who is nevertheless not a true game wrecker. Clark also has a checkered off-the-field history and dealt with injuries in 2018. The positive, of course, is that, whatever the cost, they are acquiring a player with at least nine sacks each of the past three seasons. Clark does not turn 26 until June. He will certainly make an impact for Andy Reid's Super Bowl-or-bust squad."

Most apparent positive take-away is DE FClark managed to land in another 4-3 defensive scheme :whew:

Also, IF newly acquired DE EOgbah can get it together on the opposite side of that line, and they can feed off each other (not a given concerning Ogbah underachieving so far), there will be sack/turnover opportunities vs offenses forced to air it out to keep up on the scoreboard vs KC. 

On a personal note, while I have LB DWhite as my top IDP, and I was prepared to select him with my Rookie 1:07, I haven't been fond of the rumored landing spots (coupled with some of the negative press regarding his on-field deficiencies.) *although, the most recent news regarding Oakland possibly selecting him at 1:04 is very appealing.

I like LB DBush as well (and I have a sneaky suspicion he is the LB of this class to own), but selecting him over White (based on landing spot) seems a risky venture, which is why I decided to trade my Rook 1:07 for a known IDP/LB commodity, and I ended up with LVEsch B)

...while talented, I just don't view any of the top LBs in this draft on the same level as last years crop of stars (4): TEdmunds, RSmith, LVEsch and DLeonard

Also, IF newly acquired DE EOgbah can get it together on the opposite side of that line, and they can feed off each other (not a given concerning Ogbah underachieving so far), there will be sack/turnover opportunities vs offenses forced to air it out to keep up on the scoreboard vs KC. 

Clark, Ogbah...and of course Chris Jones! That DE rotation has some potential.

Posted (edited)
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:04 AM, Sack Exchange said:

i'm still trying to figure out LB / DL needs and value. certainly, landing spots will reveal much

What are your current thoughts on DL? I generally avoid drafting rookie DL's as they may take some time to produce, and the edge/tweeners could end up in rotations or at OLB...which isn't ideal under my scoring formats.

Most of the worthy DLs seem raw or situational players, but I am warming up to DT Ed Oliver HOU. He could be had later in our rookie drafts than the big name LBs (White/Bush) and DEs (Bosa/Sweat/Gary), and the "what if" comparison to Aaron Donald has my attention. DT Jeffery Simons MST could be a great get late, if you have the room on your bench.

At ILB, outside of White and Bush, I am interested in Germaine Pratt NCST, but he is probably a project. 

At OLB, JAllen is the only interest I have.

You mentioned being alright at DB, do you start CB and S at DB? I don't acquire CBs...at all...and there should be a few solid S's (Adderly/Rapp/Abram/Savage/Hooker) that fall into starting roles. I like using a late 3rd-4th RD Rookie pick on a rookie Safety who is drafted into an NFL starting gigs (saves me research time and allocation capital.)

• Like 1

What are your current thoughts on DL? I generally avoid drafting rookie DL's as they may take some time to produce, and the edge/tweeners could end up in rotations or at OLB...which isn't ideal under my scoring formats.

Most of the worthy DLs seem raw or situational players, but I am warming up to DT Ed Oliver HOU. He could be had later in our rookie drafts than the big name LBs (White/Bush) and DEs (Bosa/Sweat/Gary), and the "what if" comparison to Aaron Donald has my attention. DT Jeffery Simons MST could be a great get late, if you have the room on your bench.

At ILB, outside of White and Bush, I am interested in Germaine Pratt NCST, but he is probably a project. 

At OLB, JAllen is the only interest I have.

You mentioned being alright at DB, do you start CB and S at DB? I don't acquire CBs...at all...and there should be a few solid S's (Adderly/Rapp/Abram/Savage) that fall into starting roles. I like using a late 3rd-4th RD Rookie pick on a rookie Safety who is drafted into an NFL starting gigs (saves me research time and allocation capital.)

in dynasty, i don’t like to draft rookie DBs unless they’re known to play similarly to LBs. my decision to nab landon collins in a rookie draft years ago prompted me to take jamal adams last season. worked out great. my leagues use “DB” (so any combination, treating safety as DB). problem for me is, if a top DB is not going to play similar to an LB and/or rush the QB (greedy?), he’s going to cover the top WR, and often (not always) this leads to reduced action on the field: some QBs will avoid that tight coverage or lead a WR too far for my man to get his money. this is the way i’ve read the situation, and it generally works out well. often, the second DB, the less talented on the team, possibly the guy sitting on waivers, gets more action than the top. opposite with LBs. if you have different take, let me know.

i took weatherly last season, and i agree with you: drafting a DL rookie has rawness built into it. but i like the kid, and i think he’ll develop well. but really, i think it all has to do with landing spots for DL (and LB). my olivier vernon stock crashed last year when the giants mixed up their defense; i’m hoping it’s more a matter of scheme and not vanishing talent. let’s see what the browns can do for him. of course the guys you mention, including oliver, may not depend on landing spot as much: they are expected to enter in at full-time, ideally in a defensive scheme molded to their talent. i particularly look for defenses with great secondaries: the tighter the coverage, the more time bosa / sweat/ gary / oliver have to wreak havoc. i also like christian wilkins, and the fact that clemson has used him at the goal line (as a TAILback) is outstanding… if an NFL offensive coordinator sees his 6’3 315 frame as a good TD vulture.

for LBs, i agree, white, bush, allen. but of course placement will have something to do with who’s the best value. i think their talent will have each stand out immediately… though didn’t we think the same with jarrad davis? depending on landing spot for this year’s rookies, we might see something between jarrad davis production at the low end, and tremaine edmunds / darius leonard production at the high end (and with this class, the high end might be lofty). we’ll know a ton more in these next few days, and this will help with some of the latter round picks like pratt, cashman, wilson, tranquil.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

in dynasty, i don’t like to draft rookie DBs unless they’re known to play similarly to LBs. my decision to nab landon collins in a rookie draft years ago prompted me to take jamal adams last season. worked out great. my leagues use “DB” (so any combination, treating safety as DB). problem for me is, if a top DB is not going to play similar to an LB and/or rush the QB (greedy?), he’s going to cover the top WR, and often (not always) this leads to reduced action on the field: some QBs will avoid that tight coverage or lead a WR too far for my man to get his money. this is the way i’ve read the situation, and it generally works out well. often, the second DB, the less talented on the team, possibly the guy sitting on waivers, gets more action than the top. opposite with LBs. if you have different take, let me know.

I target S’s who can play in the box, and have the coverage skills to make splash plays/aren’t a liability in the passing game. I also like Safety’s who play behind weak LB cores (adds to their tackle opportunity.) I lean more towards the typical SS than the FS's.ß Regarding S’s, I believe this statement overall is in line with your plan. Regarding the drafting of rookie safety's: the previous criteria + immediate starting potential.

I completely avoid corner backs, so I never have to deal with the questions, regarding “cover” corners ("will he cover one man"), or CBs overall, “is he a willing tackler,” or “will he stay on one side of the field”…saves me tons of research time, and doesn't affect the overall IDP (DB) product, as there are plenty of worthy IDP starters at Safety across 32 NFL teams.

44 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

i particularly look for defenses with great secondaries: the tighter the coverage, the more time bosa / sweat/ gary / oliver have to wreak havoc.

i also like christian wilkins, and the fact that clemson has used him at the goal line (as a TAILback) is outstanding… if an NFL offensive coordinator sees his 6’3 315 frame as a good TD vulture.

Agreed, definitely advantageous when evaluating, and I view this as a great way to discern between two similarly valued DL players. Interesting point, regarding Wilkins

45 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

(and with this class, the high end might be lofty).

Regarding this year’s crop of LBs, it appears we are in similar agreement.

• Like 1

Have a rookie draft starting on Monday, looking for rookie IDP rankings, any idea where I can find this?

1 hour ago, Topgun said:

Have a rookie draft starting on Monday, looking for rookie IDP rankings, any idea where I can find this?

There really aren’t any worthy IDP rankings out yet; more than likely due to teams/nfl not designating positions for several of them (especially the high profile IDPs.) Sorry it’s not very extensive (I only researched as deep as “I” was willing/needed to draft IDP), but here is a list, with tiers I quickly put together, which is probably more useful as a current snap shot of player-position designation (according to nfl.com), than a ranking:

DL

DT EOliver BUF

DE CFerrell OAK

DT JSimmons TN

DE RGary GB *DE designation limits him in a 3-4 base defense

LB

LB DBush PIT

LB DWhite TB

LB GPratt CIN

LB MSweat WAS *OLB in a 3-4 base defense not as ideal as a "DE" in a 4-3

S *I don’t research corners

S JAbrams OAK

S JThornhill KC

S DThompson AZ

S TRapp LAR

Unknown *IDP positions not yet designated by the nfl

? CWinovich NE *would move Chase to #2 DL if designated a “DE”

? JAllen JAX *would move Josh in front of Chase if designated a “DE”

? NBosa SF

I am not a fan of Bosa, no matter his designation, but IMHO all 3 of the players listed above in the “unknown” category would benefit greatly in fantasy with a “DE” designation, instead of OLB/SLB.

Disclaimer: always follow your individual league scoring format when making final determinations.

Posted (edited)

Jaguars LB Telvin Smith has announced he will not play in 2019.

"At this time I must take time away from this game and get my world in order," Smith said in an Instagram post. "I must give this time back to myself, my family and my health." The word "retirement" was never mentioned. Smith rumors have been percolating for some time now, while the Jags have loaded up on linebackers, including a potential third-round replacement in Quincy Williams. Now 28, Smith remained an every-down player last season, though his effectiveness fell off from an elite 2017. He still managed to notch a sack, two interceptions and a forced fumble in addition to 134 tackles. It is entirely unclear what is causing Smith to step away.

May 9, 2019, 3:21 PM ET

This is big news; a top 7 dynasty LB prematurely/suddenly hanging up his cleats, will leave a lot of holes on the IDP side of rosters. Since I am one of those owners (while I will more than likely look elsewhere for his replacement), I thought I'd look into the 3rd RD LB drafted by JAX:

LB Quincy Williams Murray St 5'11" 239lbs

He is the older brother of Ala DL Quinnen Williams, and JAX proclaimed they drafted the little known LB out of Murray St. in the 3rd RD as they did not own a 4th RD, failed to find a trade partner in order to move back, and felt he was the last LB on the board with starting ability, hmmmm'

Senior season: 59 solos/23 asst/5 PD/1 Sack/2 INT/1TD

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UFseMzfZk8

The kids got some major pop!

*this is simply a player comparison, and in no way am I anointing the rookie to this level, but he reminded me of LB London Fletcher 5'10" 240lbs (body and play style).

Starting my rookie draft (with IDPs) today, and while I am RB needy (team in signature), there are a few IDPs I'd draft early if available, and then a couple late RD gems I'll gun for.

LB: LB Devin Bush and LB Devin White set the bar in this years "IDP" draft, especially at LB. Many FFBall owners are in on LB GPratt of Cincy, LB JTaivai DET, LB MSweat WAS and LB MWilson CLE, BUT IF I don't land one of Bush/White, with my 14th overall pick (I doubt they last that long, especially with this years depleted offensive draft), I'm aiming for LB Quincy Williams JAX in the late 3rd, early 4th. *I provided a brief breakdown of Williams in the previous post.

DE: DT Ed Oliver is the cream of the crop in my estimation, and would be the only other IDP I'd draft at the 14 spot (dependant on if RBs Henderson/Singletary/Harris are available.) Josh Allen would have to be at the right price, and I don't see immediate impact on my fantasy squad from DE CFerrell, and I wont touch Bosa...ever (explanation in previous posts). Not interested in the under achiever RGary in GB, and he may be forced into OLB designation/play. BUT DE Chase Winovich could be a late RD steal IF he is in fact designated a "DE" while still playing off the ball as a LB for a high percentage of plays. DT JSimmons is a great get IF you have the room to stash and time to wait.

DB (S): I like S's who play in the box and/or behind a suspect LB core. So, I'm in on S JThornhill KC, S JAbram OAK, and to a lessor extent S DThompson AZ (lot question marks regarding other AZ DBs and playing time), in the late 3rd early 4th.

I will post draft results B)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2019 at 8:17 AM, FollowTheLeader said:

Starting my rookie draft (with IDPs) today, and while I am RB needy (team in signature), there are a few IDPs I'd draft early if available, and then a couple late RD gems I'll gun for.

LB: LB Devin Bush and LB Devin White set the bar in this years "IDP" draft, especially at LB. Many FFBall owners are in on LB GPratt of Cincy, LB JTaivai DET, LB MSweat WAS and LB MWilson CLE, BUT IF I don't land one of Bush/White, with my 14th overall pick (I doubt they last that long, especially with this years depleted offensive draft), I'm aiming for LB Quincy Williams JAX in the late 3rd, early 4th. *I provided a brief breakdown of Williams in the previous post.

DE: DT Ed Oliver is the cream of the crop in my estimation, and would be the only other IDP I'd draft at the 14 spot (dependant on if RBs Henderson/Singletary/Harris are available.) Josh Allen would have to be at the right price, and I don't see immediate impact on my fantasy squad from DE CFerrell, and I wont touch Bosa...ever (explanation in previous posts). Not interested in the under achiever RGary in GB, and he may be forced into OLB designation/play. BUT DE Chase Winovich could be a late RD steal IF he is in fact designated a "DE" while still playing off the ball as a LB for a high percentage of plays. DT JSimmons is a great get IF you have the room to stash and time to wait.

DB (S): I like S's who play in the box and/or behind a suspect LB core. So, I'm in on S JThornhill KC, S JAbram OAK, and to a lessor extent S DThompson AZ (lot question marks regarding other AZ DBs and playing time), in the late 3rd early 4th.

I will post draft results B)

for my two cents, i like montaz sweat over quincy williams hands down, especially if we see sweat getting any dual designations (LB/DE) in leagues/platforms. the heart condition issues don't bother me; landing spot is better than JAX (considering that indomitable defensive line in the way).

post draft results, please.

Edited by Sack Exchange

2 hours ago, FollowTheLeader said:

Article from 3 days ago on WLB Quincy Williams JAX:

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2019/6/5/18654227/quincy-williams-scouting-report-jacksonville-jaguars-draft

*snail draft is currently at the 3:03 (LB MSweat just went at 3:02.) I’ll post draft in its entirety when completed. 

it's not quincy williams' talent (and aggression!) i doubt, it's his landing spot in a defense where many players are ripping up offenses, including a defensive line now even more improved with josh allen. still, with telvin smith "stepping away," that should increase opportunities for others.

in your draft, how many IDPs went in round 1 (if any?)?  i know you're not high on bosa, but was he the first IDP off the board?

my slow-draft started yesterday --- i'd love to see your first two rounds --- it would really help me out.

1 hour ago, Sack Exchange said:

1:01 RB JJacobs

1:02 RB DMontgomery

1:03 WR NK Harry

1:04 LB DWhite

1:05 WR DKMetcalf

1:06 TE TJHockenson

1:07 LB DBusch

1:08 RB MSanders

1:09 DE CFerrell

1:10 TE NFant

1:11 DE NBosa

1:12 WR PCampbell

2:01 AJ Brown

2:02 FTL RB Henderson

2:03 WR JJWhitside

2:04 QB K Murray

2:05 WR MBrown

2:06 FTL DT EOliver

2:07 FTL RB DSingletary

2:08 RB Thompson

2:09 RB JHill

2:10 LB GPratt

2:11 WR MHardman

2:12 QB DHaskins

3:01 WR DSamuel

3:02 LB MSweat

3:03 DE JAllen

3:04 WR HButler

3:05 WR JHurd

3:06 RB DHarris

3:07 RB BSnell

3:08 S JAbram

3:09 FTL RB Dexter Williams 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

FTL

I was going to ask what this is (Faster Than Light? Fantasy Transfer League? F#€& That Linebacker?)...

and then I realized that's probably your name (meaning these are your picks)... Right?

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:54 PM, Sack Exchange said:

*just trying to help my brother(s) out. I'll update in its entirety upon completion.

3:10 E – QB DLock Den

3:11 T – WR TMcLaurin Was

3:12 FTLWR DJohnson Pit

4:01 FTLLB QWIlliams Jax

4:02 T – DL ABryant Det

4:03R – WR AIsabella AZ

4:04 FTLRB RArmstead Jax

4:05 BG – TE JSternberger GB

4:06 E – WR EHall Chi

4:07 O – RB BLove Was

• Like 1