FollowTheLeader

2019 IDP Rankings/Talk

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, young dude said:

Where does Khalil Mack rank among the LBs?

Not that high for my scoring formats. He has a lot of value as a DE if he is designated a DE for you. Then you could draft him for DL.

Just as general advice for sources of info for new IDP drafters...

I recommend following IDP guru. For the dynasty and deep leagues it is worth the eight dollars to get the draft guide from him for the value I put on eight dollars... a cheeseburger at five guys. 

I also enjoy Davenports write ups on fantasy sharks. But I do not put much weight on his rankings, I think he tends to have volatile ratings based on week to week things. But I like his weekly ideas of pick ups and the start and sit ideas.

Then of course posters here sometimes give me great ideas of who to pick up. For example, last season I lost Keanu Neal and Deon Jones in week one. Due to keen advice here I overcame that loss in short order with Darius Leonard and Buddha Baker as waiver wire pick ups.

Edited by PizzaBeerFF
Buddha Baker
  • Thanks 2

On 8/6/2019 at 4:50 PM, KB24MVP said:

Hi

We will do our league with IDP the first time this season (14 team 0.5ppr). Only three slots (LB/DB/DL) and very tackleheavy (ratio 1:2).

Last year Leonard was the best Defense player overall with 175 points, DL studs like Donald or Watt only had around 100 points.

Now my question is when should I start drafting defense players? In my opinion it makes no sense to draft a good LB before the 10th/11th round and the other two Defense players in the last two rounds because there are just two many players who deliver almost the same stats (similar to the kickers).

Leonard is probably the only one who would be worth picking earlier but I guess he’ll be gone by the 3rd/4th round and that is too expensive.

What do you think about this, am I right or completely off?

I have been taking Leonard in the 5th round in my mocks. We have five IDP... DL, two LB, and two DB. I’ve been taking him before any bench players, my starting TE, K, DL, DB, DB. I can do this since I can keep two RBs and my QB at lower round values due to where I got them in previous years.

I think Leonard is the only one I place this steep value on. The rest of the IDP players I usually wait until I have two solid bench guys and my TE drafted. Then I alternate IDP with offensive bench picks every other round. I start with LB2, bench, DB1, bench, DL, bench,  DB2, bench, K.

I can get a very strong defense this way. Campbell is a DL I’ve been targeting a lot. I think his adp is lower due to age, but he is very solid and statistically better for my scoring format. I target tackles mostly for my IDP because I like the consistent floor from the defense. As such I usually have safeties instead of corners. And usually these are strong safeties that play near the box. A guy I will be targeting is Baker since he is moving back to strong safety I am told. For LBs I like to try for Leonard if I can and then I can usually get Martinez or Kuechly. That is about as good as it gets for LBs. I spend highly on LBs. They are the most important IDP players I believe.

I am am taking the stance that I can work waiver wire to improve my o bench depth in the first few weeks. So I am sacrificing offensive bench depth to get top tier defensive talent. This strategy has worked well in the past. I usually have the top defense in the league and it really helps establish a solid and consistent floor for your team.

Thanks for your answer, my draft was on Sunday and I got Leonard, Buckner and H. Smith as my Defense Guys. Very happy with that! They also have different bye weeks so I can grab a single one every week to replace them when necessary. 

My 12 Team IDP Dynasty (PPR) is currently holding it's four RD FA Veteran draft, so I thought I'd post a couple of the IDP picks, as they may be forgotten/unknown Veterans who may produce, or Rookies passed over in the rookie draft. So far:

DE Chase Winovich *this guy has really taken off; shining on both the practice field and preseason games. The upside of Belichick scheming this guy on DST at multiple positions along the defensive line, as well as off the ball, and with his "DE" designation leaves me salivating.

LB SDHamilton *as a relative unknown he should come cheap, and he slots right into Mason Foster's old position which yielded at or close to a top 12 finish overall at the position (depending on individual league scoring). Plus, he doesn't have much competition for plays beyond the ho-hum LB JBostic at the 2nd level and S's Collins/Nicholson.

1 hour ago, FollowTheLeader said:

My 12 Team IDP Dynasty (PPR) is currently holding it's four RD FA Veteran draft, so I thought I'd post a couple of the IDP picks, as they may be forgotten/unknown Veterans who may produce, or Rookies passed over in the rookie draft. So far:

DE Chase Winovich *this guy has really taken off; shining on both the practice field and preseason games. The upside of Belichick scheming this guy on DST at multiple positions along the defensive line, as well as off the ball, and with his "DE" designation leaves me salivating.

LB SDHamilton *as a relative unknown he should come cheap, and he slots right into Mason Foster's old position which yielded at or close to a top 12 finish overall at the position (depending on individual league scoring). Plus, he doesn't have much competition for plays beyond the ho-hum LB JBostic at the 2nd level and S's Collins/Nicholson.

LB Jerome Baker *his great play this offseason has resulted in him being awarded the "Green Dot," thus pushing KAlonso to the lessor of the 3 LB positions (SLB) fantasy wise, and starting over both McMcillian and Alonso in 2 LB/5DB formations (the later of which, Miami DST is being reported to lining up in often.)

6 hours ago, FollowTheLeader said:

4 hours ago, FollowTheLeader said:

LB Jerome Baker *his great play this offseason has resulted in him being awarded the "Green Dot," thus pushing KAlonso to the lessor of the 3 LB positions (SLB) fantasy wise, and starting over both McMcillian and Alonso in 2 LB/5DB formations (the later of which, Miami DST is being reported to lining up in often.)

Looking into Jerome Baker has opened my eyes to his counter part, LB Sam Eguavoen, formerly from Texas Tech and the CFL. If he locks up the starting MLB or WLB job (depending on where Baker slots...Baker is currently slotted at the WLB, but he does wear the dot), SE has great potential. I like what I saw on tape. The man can tackle and plays well in coverage.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, FollowTheLeader said:

Looking into Jerome Baker has opened my eyes to his counter part, LB Sam Eguavoen, formerly from Texas Tech and the CFL. If he locks up the starting MLB or WLB job (depending on where Baker slots...Baker is currently slotted at the WLB, but he does wear the dot), SE has great potential. I like what I saw on tape. The man can tackle and plays well in coverage.

23 hours ago, FollowTheLeader said:

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:59 AM, FollowTheLeader said:

DE Brian Burns *especially if he is designated as a DE by your individual league [disclaimer: dependent upon individual league scoring (my league scores Solos 3-2pts and Asst's 1.5-1pt, for DL's vs LBs, respectively.)] This guy has been tearing it up in practice and pre-season. Previously, I had shied away due to a perceived LB designation, but him being designated a DE has me salivating.

@Sack Exchange 

Edited by FollowTheLeader

26 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

DE Brian Burns *especially if he is designated as a DE by your individual league [disclaimer: dependent upon individual league scoring (my league scores Solos 3-2pts and Asst's 1.5-1pt, for DL's vs LBs, respectively.)] This guy has been tearing it up in practice and pre-season. Previously, I had shied away due to a perceived LB designation, but him being designated a DE has me salivating.

@Sack Exchange 

when i saw the news on the dolphins releasing kiko, i was excited about baker, but apparently these are just rumors.

i missed out on winovich in dynasty, but he's a target for redraft and i have a big IDP auction this weekend.

same with burns regarding missing out in dynasty, but i knew what i was missing (and might be regretting it in september -- he looks great). right now it seems MFL = DE, and CBS = LB. not sure about ESPN / Yahoo... ---- agreed, a steel for a DE

6 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

when i saw the news on the dolphins releasing kiko, i was excited about baker, but apparently these are just rumors.

It may be more than just rumors. I've read where the Coaching staff has requested Alonso and McMillan play back-up roles, as they are not good enough vs BOTH the run and the pass, and last night further enforced what we've seen this pre-season; Baker and Eguavoen manning the starting LB spots, with Baker looking like the big time playmaker next to Eguavoen (lack of big plays last night, but has produced in prior 2 games), and Alonso/McMillan no where to be seen.

Baker and Eguavoen played both the LB spots last night in the starting line-up. Miami is looking to employ a base 5DB/2LB/4DL DST, with those two manning the LB positions. Baker put up 5 solos, and Eguavoen put up 3 solos/1 asst, while Alonso and McMillan didn't even see the field.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2019 at 8:10 PM, FollowTheLeader said:

Miami is looking to employ a base 5DB/2LB/4DL DST

So they will play standard in a nickel formation? I think there are some College teams that use that, but I think in the pros that's fairly uncommon, right?

Also (and forgive my ignorance), wouldn't that make them vulnerable against run heavy teams? Althoguh they seemed to do fine in the pre-season against the Jags.

If anyone is interested, I have a 12 team PPR league on Yahoo ($50) with 1 spot that just came open.   Drafting TONIGHT at 7pm EST.   We start 5 IDP positions (LB, LB, DL, DB and D Flex).   Let me know if you’d like in on it.     Most people are scared of IDP.   So I figure I’d come here to see.        

Winovich has been brought up a few times here in the 4 pages so far. Is he really going to see enough playing time though to make a difference and be worth a roster spot?

What position does this scoring system target?

Idp td-6

Sack- 3

Hit on qb- 1 

Tackle- 0.5

Tackle for loss- 1

Blocked for punt - 2

Interceptions- 3

Fumble recovery- 1.5

Forced fumble- 1.5

Safety- 2

Assisted tackle- 0.25

Solo tackle- 0.5

Pass defended- 1.5

Never done idp.  Idk how many players to draft, when to target.   This is the type of commissioner that always does something sneaky to give him an advantage.   

----

1 idp flex pos

Edited by nll928

Only one position? Then treat it like a kicker and draft in the last or second to last round the best available linebacker, with a scoring system like that LBs have the most value.

14 hours ago, nll928 said:

What position does this scoring system target?

Idp td-6

Sack- 3

Hit on qb- 1 

Tackle- 0.5

Tackle for loss- 1

Blocked for punt - 2

Interceptions- 3

Fumble recovery- 1.5

Forced fumble- 1.5

Safety- 2

Assisted tackle- 0.25

Solo tackle- 0.5

Pass defended- 1.5

Never done idp.  Idk how many players to draft, when to target.   This is the type of commissioner that always does something sneaky to give him an advantage.   

----

1 idp flex pos

That's weird, lol.

As the other guy said. Last round. Even if you're in a 16 team league and everybody would pick a BU before your starter the whole IDP pool is big enough.

3/4 of the league will end the season with another IDP player than they drafted.

I'm tempted to burn my waiver on Hubbard (waivers don't reset every week). The QB/RB/WR/TE options are already sparse and my 2nd DL is weak. Could also be a dynasty keeper going beyond this season and he is young. My own RB's and WR's aren't great, but I'm not going to fix that on the wire this week. And probably not for most of the season unless there are some injuries and someone really does come out of nowhere.

Last season I burned my higher waiver on Darius Leonard and he was putting up 20-30+ points a week like an RB1 or QB1. Was crazy. LB's do tend to score more points because of tackle totals, but Hubbard was active and had a bunch of tackles with the sack.

Edited by devaster

On 9/2/2019 at 8:39 PM, k.k. said:

Winovich has been brought up a few times here in the 4 pages so far. Is he really going to see enough playing time though to make a difference and be worth a roster spot?

Not now. But by week 6 he will. Learning assignments for Pats. :) Not easy.

3 hours ago, devaster said:

I'm tempted to burn my waiver on Hubbard (waivers don't reset every week). The QB/RB/WR/TE options are already sparse and my 2nd DL is weak. Could also be a dynasty keeper going beyond this season and he is young. My own RB's and WR's aren't great, but I'm not going to fix that on the wire this week. And probably not for most of the season unless there are some injuries and someone really does come out of nowhere.

Last season I burned my higher waiver on Darius Leonard and he was putting up 20-30+ points a week like an RB1 or QB1. Was crazy. LB's do tend to score more points because of tackle totals, but Hubbard was active and had a bunch of tackles with the sack.

Don’t burn it until it is clearly a win. To be honest I like that thumper Abram in Oakland. His hits hurt people. I wonder if that’s the next Lott/Harrison type. He seems nasty as hell. 

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:39 PM, k.k. said:

What @PizzaBeerFF said, and worry even less if you own him Dynasty B)

14 hours ago, devaster said:

Just speaking to Hubbard: he had upside last year, and seems to have put it together. *not knowing what other IDPs are available makes an indorsement somewhat iffy...

Beyond the obvious stats, another positive would be his snap count: as a DE he was 2nd only to Dunlap, 49 to 43, respectively, and Hubbard nearly doubled the next DE, Lawson, who only had 23 snaps.

11 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

To be honest I like that thumper Abram in Oakland.

Beware: looks like a trip to the IR is in his future (shoulder injury)

6 hours ago, FollowTheLeader said:

What @PizzaBeerFF said, and worry even less if you own him Dynasty B)

Just speaking to Hubbard: he had upside last year, and seems to have put it together. *not knowing what other IDPs are available makes an indorsement somewhat iffy...

Beyond the obvious stats, another positive would be his snap count: as a DE he was 2nd only to Dunlap, 49 to 43, respectively, and Hubbard nearly doubled the next DE, Lawson, who only had 23 snaps.

Beware: looks like a trip to the IR is in his future (shoulder injury)

Yup. Abram out for the season. Too bad, he seemed like an animal.

22 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Don’t burn it until it is clearly a win. To be honest I like that thumper Abram in Oakland. His hits hurt people. I wonder if that’s the next Lott/Harrison type. He seems nasty as hell. 

No one ended up burning a waiver on him. Feel like I lucked out. Sometimes building up your IDP can offset weak RB's or WR's.

Should I pick up Hubbard and drop Buckner? We only play with one IDP on each position (DB, LB, DL). Buckner really didn’t do anything in the first game 

On 9/12/2019 at 4:57 AM, KB24MVP said:

Should I pick up Hubbard and drop Buckner? We only play with one IDP on each position (DB, LB, DL). Buckner really didn’t do anything in the first game 

Tough call right now. Bucker should still put up great tackle numbers this season, but they have better pass rushers on the outside now. If Hubbard continues to put up solid tackle numbers he can be a top-15 DL.

Anyone concerned about Ronnie Harrison this week. Wasn't on injury report for his knee this week, but picked up an ankle injury in the last 48 hours.

Is Deione Jone still considered an top option at LB?  He has had a pretty slow start to the season.  Some of the rankings I looked at preseason had him in the top 3-5 range for LBs.