Flyman75

Carlos Hyde 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Just read on SleeperBot that the Jags are likely to cut him loose. Is he just a backup for the remainder of his career, or could he end up landing somewhere as a starter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see him walking in to a starting job after the pretty awful year he just had.    He was getting about 20 carries a game for the first 4-5 weeks and barely making an impact, and i'm sure we all remember the moment Chubb had his breakout run and Hyde's stock plummeted.   Couldn't blame the offense or the line anymore thanks to Chubb.    I figured Jacksonville was buying low on a guy they wanted to be Fournette insurance, but they cut bait, and that's a real bad sign. 

Now he's unlikely to be in any GM's top 5 of available free agent backs, and there's still a draft too.    I guess the one thing he'll have going for him is the fact that he doesn't affect the comp pick formula, but his next deal should be so low in $ that it might be a moot point. He's made only 9 million in his career thusfar, so he should be taking whatever guarantees he can get, anywhere, at this point.   Hope an injury opens a door for him to shine and get a raise in 2020.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering if he can still be effective, because if he can I'd love to have him on the Eagles in a rotation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Just read on SleeperBot that the Jags are likely to cut him loose. Is he just a backup for the remainder of his career, or could he end up landing somewhere as a starter?

i think he turns into a Gore type rb on the right team, where he is never meant to start but somehow gets a healthy share of snaps and splits the backfield touches which makes im a great zero rb candidate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would have to be a team with a near-elite run-blocking line and nearly no other usable options.  Even in 2017, on a Shanahan-coached team with excellent blocking, he only managed 3.9 YPC and allowed more pressures and dropped more passes than any other RB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dashoe said:

i think he turns into a Gore type rb on the right team, where he is never meant to start but somehow gets a healthy share of snaps and splits the backfield touches which makes im a great zero rb candidate.

 

 

I'd say this is his ceiling right now in terms of 2019 outlook.    I feel his likely role is a pure backup to a heavily used back.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BrianM said:

 

I'd say this is his ceiling right now in terms of 2019 outlook.    I feel his likely role is a pure backup to a heavily used back.    

 

Early on he's probably not even worth a bench stash absent landing a role like AP subbing for injured Guice last year. Later in the season he might have some value if a playoff-bound team has their starter go down, then he could be a prime candidate to fill a "CJA on the Rams" role. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, jumper said:

 

Early on he's probably not even worth a bench stash absent landing a role like AP subbing for injured Guice last year. Later in the season he might have some value if a playoff-bound team has their starter go down, then he could be a prime candidate to fill a "CJA on the Rams" role. 

 

I'd also struggle to draft him, but he'd definitely be well suited to find a late season fresh legs role like you suggested.   I worry that he's going to lose points with pro scouts as a receiver since he didnt have an impact there last year.  He used to be a great pass catcher, but now, a team looking to add that piece might gloss right over him for guys like Yeldon, Mike Davis, and maybe even a Ty Montgomery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BrianM said:

 

I'd also struggle to draft him, but he'd definitely be well suited to find a late season fresh legs role like you suggested.   I worry that he's going to lose points with pro scouts as a receiver since he didnt have an impact there last year.  He used to be a great pass catcher, but now, a team looking to add that piece might gloss right over him for guys like Yeldon, Mike Davis, and maybe even a Ty Montgomery.

I wouldn’t call him a great pass catcher. He caught 59 passes for 350 yards in 2017 but needed 88 targets to get there. He has 60 receptions in his other four seasons. He had a solid season as a pass catcher, but I would stop before getting to great. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Just read on SleeperBot that the Jags are likely to cut him loose. Is he just a backup for the remainder of his career, or could he end up landing somewhere as a starter?

What the he'll is a sleeperbot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

What the he'll is a sleeperbot?

It’s an app that sends alerts about news in the NFL. I typically get the alerts from Sleeper before it gets announced nationally. They’re pretty quick in getting info out. It’s especially useful when it comes to last minute sit/start updates. 

Listed in the App Store as Sleeper Fantasy Football. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess we will see in camp if he is the starter or the backup. The last couple of years the Chiefs have used a third down back on 90%+ of the third downs. IMO Williams looks like the much better back at this point but Williams is the better third down back too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand the Rotoworld blurb that says Hyde doesn't fit the profile of a player that could step in and fill an every down role.  And Damien Williams does?????  Hyde has a few seasons as the primary, Williams has a handful of games.

 

I love this signing from a fantasy perspective because he's not a sexy enough name to stop people from falling on the Williams fantasy grenade and also not sexy enough to be a top handcuff, yet if he was the lead back on any given week does anyone think he wouldn't put up 20+ fantasy points in PPR?  I will be targeting Hyde assuming nothing significant changes between now and camp.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The_Truth_Returns said:

I don't understand the Rotoworld blurb that says Hyde doesn't fit the profile of a player that could step in and fill an every down role.  And Damien Williams does?????  Hyde has a few seasons as the primary, Williams has a handful of games.

 

I love this signing from a fantasy perspective because he's not a sexy enough name to stop people from falling on the Williams fantasy grenade and also not sexy enough to be a top handcuff, yet if he was the lead back on any given week does anyone think he wouldn't put up 20+ fantasy points in PPR?  I will be targeting Hyde assuming nothing significant changes between now and camp.

 

I have a sneaky feeling he is gone to be in on a lot of goal line plays and get a lot of short td's the way mahommes slings it downfield 😚

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2019 at 4:42 PM, dashoe said:

 

I have a sneaky feeling he is gone to be in on a lot of goal line plays and get a lot of short td's the way mahommes slings it downfield 😚

Besides goal-line carries how much of a split do you think Hyde gets, maybe 40%?  Or less?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hyde has been involved in many camp battles in his career.  He has always won them, every time, with the exception of his rookie year v. surefire future Hall-of-Famer Frank Gore.

Don't sleep on this guy.  Hyde in this offense, if he emerges as the main back, is fantasy gold.  Last year Hyde struggled, but that was playing for the Hugh Jackson Browns and the Blake Bortles Jags.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, dschddny said:

Besides goal-line carries how much of a split do you think Hyde gets, maybe 40%?  Or less?

I wouldnt bet against 40%

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Last year Hyde struggled, but that was playing for the Hugh Jackson Browns and the Blake Bortles Jags.

Yep. And the year before he had nearly 1300 total yards, 8 TDs, and 59 receptions.

I think it's amazing that a few good games in a great situation from Williams means that he's sure-fire better than Carlos Hyde. If William's ADP remains high and Hyde's is several rounds lower, then Hyde is the one to target in fantasy drafts.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would view him along the same value Ware had a handcuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What's nice is we'll actually get to see what Hyde can do when not faced with 8 in the box over and over and over again.
He's got more juice than people give him credit for, but just hasn't been in situation where RBs are set up for success.
Past couple seasons were the Bortles/Kessler Jags, the Tyrod Taylor Browns and the CJ Beathard 49ers.

Now he's got Mahomes and pals stretching the defenses in every which way.

Happy for Hyde...
Williams is a nice player, but such a small sample size...

I think there is a real possibility that Hyde outshines Williams significantly.

Edited by Winky
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 11:22 AM, SharkSwimmer said:

Hyde has been involved in many camp battles in his career.  He has always won them, every time, with the exception of his rookie year v. surefire future Hall-of-Famer Frank Gore.

Don't sleep on this guy.  Hyde in this offense, if he emerges as the main back, is fantasy gold.  Last year Hyde struggled, but that was playing for the Hugh Jackson Browns and the Blake Bortles Jags.

 

Try telling that to people in the D. Williams thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 11:29 AM, dmb3684 said:

 

Try telling that to people in the D. Williams thread. 

dont care. this is the hyde thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, not an nfl scout said:

dont care. this is the hyde thread

 

I'm glad you felt the need to tell everyone that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hyde v. Damien Williams will be one of the top ten stories of the offseason.  The Chiefs primary back almost always puts up RB1 numbers.  

Maybe the play is to try to land both for fairly cheap.  Also we will have to see what KC does in the draft.

I suspect they will be trying to select players with an exemplary history of off-field conduct.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...