Flyman75

Carlos Hyde 2019 Outlook

I don’t know... a big back who will get goal line carries on a high flying offense... I think Hyde could perform as a potential RB3 if given enough carries

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rs79 said:

I don’t know... a big back who will get goal line carries on a high flying offense... I think Hyde could perform as a potential RB3 if given enough carries

i guess technically, if you give him 300 carries and he matches his career average of 4 yards per carry, we're looking at 1200 yards.

and hyde could be an RB1 next sunday if he's running downhill the entire game,

but if andy reid doesn't like him neither to i. not hitting the waivers, not wasting a roster spot. i imagine hyde's performance will be so up and down, he's a risky start even at flex. the texans' defense taking a hit with clowney going to seattle doesn't help. if anything, we see duke's value (and ADP) dip slightly... but at least it wasn't shady or melvin gordon arriving in houston: that would make duke a questionable play.

I actually don't think Hyde is a bad pickup if you have somebody you're not worried about at the end of your bench.  I wouldn't drop somebody you think has solid upside, as who knows what Hyde will do there, but he will get carries (and likely all of the goal line work).

I don't see Hyde impacting Duke's value all that much.

5 teams in 2 years, seemed to have nothing at all left last season.

Yeah count me fully out on Carlos Hyde. Aside from a few nasty spin moves in SF I never saw anything that inspired me about him. Maybe he gets the lions share of the work, who knows. Worth a pickup but I’d be surprised if he does anything meaningful.

If you can’t make in an Andy Reid offense against a 6th rounder and I don’t even know where Darrel Williams came from, and you’ve been on 5 teams in 2 years, and ur just not good at football, I think it’s over. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

i guess technically, if you give him 300 carries and he matches his career average of 4 yards per carry, we're looking at 1200 yards.

and hyde could be an RB1 next sunday if he's running downhill the entire game,

but if andy reid doesn't like him neither to i. not hitting the waivers, not wasting a roster spot. i imagine hyde's performance will be so up and down, he's a risky start even at flex. the texans' defense taking a hit with clowney going to seattle doesn't help. if anything, we see duke's value (and ADP) dip slightly... but at least it wasn't shady or melvin gordon arriving in houston: that would make duke a questionable play.

:lol: McCoy is worthless, that wouldn't change Johnson's value at all. Neither does Hyde's.

PS can someone please tell the monkeys with typewriters at NFL.com to hire proofreaders:

The Kansas City Chiefs acquired RB Carlos Hyde from the Texans in exchange for offensive tackle Martinas Rankins.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ruut6 said:

Maybe he gets the lions share of the work

Maybe I'll flap my arms and fly to the moon  ;)

Worth a pickup

In 20 team leagues with 50 man rosters maybe...honestly he's competing with McCoy for the bottom of the barrel. 

• Haha 2

Looking at ADP, I'd slot him in around RB50 right now.  Here's who is going around that spot:

47. Lewis 48. Singletary 49. Samuels 50. Ronald Jones 51. Damien Harris 52. Justin Jackson 53. Alexander Mattison.

Of those, I'd take Lewis (I like him this year), Singletary (ADP meaningless; with McCoy gone he's shooting way up) and Samuels ahead of Hyde for sure.  I'd take Hyde ahead of Jones, Jackson, and Mattison, and I'd put him ahead of Darwin Thompson (ADP #43 but is now clearly going to drop to like RB80 with the McCoy news).  Maybe I'd slot him behind Harris.  So I've got him around RB49/50.  As a 5th RB on your team, he's not bad, and he should definitely be drafted in 12-teamers and up.

• Like 2

Tell you guys what if your not picking up hyde as a stash on your bench you clearly don't know fantasy football. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Say what you want about Hyde but he started ahead of Duke last year in Cleveland. He might have been the starter all year there if they didn’t have Chubb. He was decent in those first 5 games. He had 348 yds and 6 TDs. I wouldn’t say he’s done yet.

• Like 6

Duke Johnson isn't a feature back.  Hyde is going to see anywhere from 10 to 15 touches a game, likely including some at the goalline, and for an offense that looks good on paper 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dicka24 said:

Duke Johnson isn't a feature back.  Hyde is going to see anywhere from 10 to 15 touches a game, likely including some at the goalline, and for an offense that looks good on paper 

Yea, I can, at worst, see him as the guy they would want to use inside the 5. And Houston will hopefully be inside the 5 a good bit with their offense hopefully clicking. I wish I had more shares of the Texans TBH. But owning Hyde to me reminds me of owning sub-par Patriots backs over the past 10 years, they will feed based on system.

And if Hyde is just clearly cooked in 3 weeks time you cut and its a 0 cost gamble.

3 hours ago, Fabios1993 said:

I am the only one that think he is going to do good things? 

He could be useful at times.  I doubt he could be a top 24 back but top 36 isn't out of the realm of possibility. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fabios1993 said:

We'll see, I think he is going to show up something. He is not finish

He doesn't look Finish to me either. He's from Cincinnati not Finland. 

• Haha 2

I'm also wondering if Hyde has some RB3/Flex appeal.  Houston's one of the top offenses in the NFL and a two back running game.  If he's the goal line back, he could definitely have some value.

I’m not going to be surprised if Hyde gets some traction in HOU and shows up a lot of the people counting him out. 15 carries can be had pretty damn easily. Sprinkle in a few audibled receptions, and you’ve got yourself a potential RB2/3. Look out haters. You are on alert.

Edited by Squats&Milk
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2019 at 6:30 AM, dicka24 said:

Says who? Hue Jackson?  He was the all-time leading rusher at Miami when he left.  He's got decent size at 5'9 210 & been unfairly typecast as a receiving back.  You're dreaming if you think Hyde is gonna be the main guy

I actually went from DND to taking a flier on this guy - much better situation in terms of opportunity with Houston.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Squats&Milk said:

I’m not going to be surprised if Hyde gets some traction in HOU and shows up a lot of the people counting him out. 15 carries can be had pretty damn easily. Sprinkle in a few audibled receptions, and you’ve got yourself a potential RB2/3. Look out haters. You are on alert.

If he gets 15 carries and goal line (I'm almost positive he'll get goal line, don't know about the 15 carries), he's going to be quite valuable.  This team is favored in its division and should have some positive game scripts for a lot of second half carries.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:09 AM, Fabios1993 said:

I am the only one that think he is going to do good things? 

Nope - Houston is a great landing spot for him.  Caught a couple of my league mates sleeping and grabbed him in the 21st round of my draft (2nd to the last round).  Loved that pick.  Just don't count on him as an every week starter.  But as bench depth for bye weeks with potential upside for more?  Absolutely.  There are much worse players you could pick to fill out your roster towards the end of your draft.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lvsaint429 said:

He was the all-time leading rusher at Miami when he left.  He's got decent size at 5'9 210 & been unfairly typecast as a receiving back.

I think you're confusing fantasy and reality.

Look, I think Duke 'could' be a lead back if a team wanted him to, but let's not pretend that Duke's 'typecast' is the fault of Fantasy players.
For 4 years teams have watched him play, week in, week out in NFL action and then all week long in practice... and every single one of those years coaches watched this guy and literally made the decision that... 'ehhh, maybe you should stick to just catching passes'.  We can blame the coaches, the teams, the front office, or the organization, and time will tell if that's truly their fault.  Because it's the Browns, I wouldn't be shocked, and am completely leaving the door open for that possibility.

BUT...

In 2015, someone decided... No thanks Duke, we'll go with Terrance West. (Out of the league) (Both 3rd round picks)
In 2016, someone decided... No thanks Duke, we'll go with the UDFA Isaiah Crowell. (Probably out of the league soon)
In 2017, someone decided... No thanks Duke, we'll go sign a FA that's never rushed for 1,000 yards and make him our starter. (Hyde; now on his 4th team in 2 years, ironically again in position for a team to say the same thing)
In 2018, someone decided... No thanks Duke, we'll invest major draft Capitol on a new RB, despite the other massive needs of our team. (Chubb's success TBD)

So... sure, you can blame the fantasy community, you can blame the organization. BUT...

We have to consider the legitimate possibility, that Duke simply isn't lead back material.  No, this has nothing to do with his size, Trent Richardson was a prototype carbon copy of elite RB size and measurables... and sucked at football.  Yes, Duke was great in college.  Do we need to make a list of elite college backs, that failed as 3down workhorses in the NFL?  I sure hope not.  Duke is a legitimate NFL caliber RB and elite pass catching back.  Of course he excelled in college against future doctors and lawyers.  Yes, he's been efficient, as are nearly every CoP back in the league.  When the pass catching back comes in and the 2 down grinder goes to the bench, the defenses adjust accordingly, allowing these types of backs (not just Duke) to gouge them for chunk yardages from time to time.  Nature of the game.

I'm not here to say Duke can't or won't be a lead back.  I'm not here to talk about his size, or Carlos Hyde his decline and the fountain of youth, or predict workload splits.
I'm saying, please stop blaming the fantasy community, as if it's their fault Duke has been a CoP for his entire NFL career thus far.  Sometimes, most of the time in face, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck... it's actually a duck.

The burden of proof is on Duke to prove the world wrong, not the other way around.

The reality is that Duke is overpriced and Hyde is dirt cheap, and I don't have a clue how this backfield will work out, or if either one of them will be worth a damn regardless of how it works out.  But I'm willing to grab the cheaper option, let him sit on my bench for a few weeks, and see what happens.

No matter how much you hate to admit it, both Hyde and Duke have legitimate chances to be the lead back of the Texans, where Watson, Hopkins, and Fuller will be priority numbers 1, 2, and 3 for defenses.  Not Hyde, not Duke.  Combine that with a 5th round price for Duke VS a 14th round price for Hyde, I'd say you'd have to be a moron to ignore the potential value Hyde offers, even if you love (and draft) Duke.  The benefit and safety of Duke, is that even if relegated to CoP duties, we've seen how effective and fantasy productive he can be in that role, and can still return flex value for 12 team PPR leagues.  Whereas Hyde doesn't particularly offer that in my opinion, even as a supporter of his.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1