Sign in to follow this  
Coach George

Seth Beer - OF/1B HOU

I searched for a thread on Beer and couldn’t find one. 

He has turned into “my guy” out of this draft class. I’ve followed him since he was a freshman at Clemson and all he’s done is hit. Now, he apparently plays “fall down” defense but I don’t really care. In fact, with the state of 1B I’d just like to see him get enough starts there to gain eligibility.

His swing is what I’m looking for. Great hip rotation and short to the ball. He has great power but still the potential to hit for average. 

I think he is very underrated for fantasy purposes due to his defense. My league does count defensive runs saved. I think he will be an All Star one day. 

• Like 1

Beer had a hard liner for a hit in this ST game. I really like his swing...I’m confident that he will have a bright future.

I don’t know where he will play in the field but the bat plays.

There was a spot for David Ortiz, if Beer keeps hitting like he is capable of, there will be a spot for him.  Dude can hit for sure.  

Kid can rake for sure ......... I'm  in ACC territory and have seen him plenty.

Honestly though ......... Houston's system is so deep I can't see him breaking the line-up with any regularity at least this year.

Hitting 312/17/5/23 with 394 OBP so far at A+. Glad i grabbed him, but i'd like to see him moved up to AA sooner rather then later. 

• Like 1

Know Seth and his family. Interesting fact was he was probably a better swimmer than Baseball player. He was breaking Phelps records at 14 and was destined for Olympic stardom.  Sure hope he makes it.  Good kid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Slashed .328/.414/.602 at A+ this season in 35 games. Another stock semi-quietly rising in the Astros system. He's possibly the biggest reason the organization is hesitant to instill Yordan Alvarez as a full time DH as Yordan is better defensively.

8 hours ago, Dark One said:

Slashed .328/.414/.602 at A+ this season in 35 games. Another stock semi-quietly rising in the Astros system. He's possibly the biggest reason the organization is hesitant to instill Yordan Alvarez as a full time DH as Yordan is better defensively.

If everything pans out seems like Yordan to 1B and Beer as a DH in future would be a pretty solid combo. Hes always been a highly regarded bat, just no glove. If he keeps hitting like this, it wont matter about the glove though!

• Like 1

Got promoted to AA. I imagine the Astros have some sort of plan for him even if he's a DH. Probably the best org in baseball wouldn't waste a 1st rounder without a plan. 

Seth Beer is still hitting well at Corpus Christi.  I'm curious to why there's no buzz on him at all.  So far in 2019, he's hit a combined 16hrs/ .300 AVG / .390OBP / .919 OPS

2 hours ago, Yourbettstulo said:

Seth Beer is still hitting well at Corpus Christi.  I'm curious to why there's no buzz on him at all.  So far in 2019, he's hit a combined 16hrs/ .300 AVG / .390OBP / .919 OPS

I’m wondering the same thing. I guess because his future position is kinda unknown. Maybe 1b or dh, but that’ll be tough with yordan occupying dh.

7 hours ago, rasto21585 said:

Is he a must add in dynasty leagues?

Absolutely, I'd argue no matter the roster/milb roster size. He's a top-100 fantasy prospect for me.

7 hours ago, rasto21585 said:

I saw a guy hit like this in the minors last year. Not a lot of people knew his name then so I added him. That guy's name was Pete Alonso.

Beer looks similar.

9 hours ago, rasto21585 said:

Yeah he is taken in all my dynasty leagues already.  He may be blocked in Houston right now but they want someone like Matt Boyd or some other starter this year and he could well get sent to another team that has a wide open path for him to reach the majors in record time.  Or someone on Houston's team may have a serious injury next year, God forbid.  You can't hold back on a prospect because he looks blocked in the moment.

• Like 1

If the Astros were smart, they wouldn't trade Beer and they would give him a real chance to win the 1B job right out of Spring Training.  Just like Pete Alonso, given the comparison.

Now, for fantasy, it'd be great if he got traded and somehow got called up before the season was over.  Obviously long term it would be better for him to stay in Houston if he would be given a starting role, but it's hard not to get a little greedy when a player is performing at a high level in the minors.

Surprised Seth Beer hasn’t received a lot of attention. Went 3-5 yesterday with his 21st hr. Sure hope he stays in the Astros system.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rasto21585 said:

Surprised Seth Beer hasn’t received a lot of attention. Went 3-5 yesterday with his 21st hr. Sure hope he stays in the Astros system.

I think Beer gets a big knock on some lists because he’s a horrible defender no matter what position he plays. In my world, I don’t care if he fields like Smalls. I think he’s easily a top 50 prospect...and probably more like 25ish. 

I’m a big fan of Beer...and beer!

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Coach George said:

I think Beer gets a big knock on some lists because he’s a horrible defender no matter what position he plays. In my world, I don’t care if he fields like Smalls. I think he’s easily a top 50 prospect...and probably more like 25ish. 

I’m a big fan of Beer...and beer!

spacer.png

My dream scenario is he gets traded to the brewers lol. A brewers beer jersey would be amazing!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2