Sign in to follow this  
floppy

draft question.. WHIR

cant keep in first 3 rounds.. my team is in signature (IF I DRAFT 1) take out trout if I decide to pick later in draft. I pick where I draft. h2h categories 9x9

here are top 20 players available this year with keepers taken out..

trout, betts, arenado, jd, sherzer, turner, lindor, sale, machado, degrom, altuve, harper, freeman, stanton, goldy, blackmon, kluber, Bryant, Rizzo, verlander, cole

if I go trout, im guaranteed back one or two of them (my thought as of now is grabbing trout then going back to back pitchers maybe noah and carrasco in that area because sevy nola and snell are all being kept)

the reason why im thinking go later in draft and grab say 7 and then back around for 14 is beause I don't have picks 4,5,6,7 this year due to keeping segura for 5th rounder and selling picks last year.. so my mentality is

EITHER

trout, then 2 pitchers before I don't go for several rounds or say go 5-7ish and grab sale or top hitters and then grab best avail at 14. I understand the logic of always taking at top of draft order but when u don't have 4 picks In a row might be better to stockpile better picks. and I know its impossible to guess who will be there but what needs would u think I should go for based on keepers etc.. (acuna clevinger, segura, and story)

WHAT DO U GUYS THINK? WHIR 100 PERCENT

Edited by floppy

Given your missing midround picks, I think you should take the higher slot here, grab Trout and some best available pitchers and try to weather the drought from pick 4-7

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Given your missing midround picks, I think you should take the higher slot here, grab Trout and some best available pitchers and try to weather the drought from pick 4-7

I thought because of missing picks I should try and get say 2 players in the top 14 (7 and 14 for example) and not go 1 and then wait until 20-21 picks again before my long draught.

Take the top pick - the numbers are pretty overwhelming this year its better to have one of the top overall picks.  

31 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Take the top pick - the numbers are pretty overwhelming this year its better to have one of the top overall picks.  

Understandable but still based on my situation? Figured it’s better to get 2 value picks 

Edited by floppy

Based on my situation? It’s not just about what position to grab...

I had almost the identical situation in my keeper league this year but my keepers were slightly different. My league is H2H as well but is only 5x5 and counts OBP instead of AVE. I'll fill you in on what I did as I think it's very relevant to what you're asking. I kept Acuna (26th), Ozuna (19th), Snell (15th), Nola (14th), and Merrifield in the 7th. We cannot keep players drafted in the first 5 rounds the previous year, also similar to your settings. I traded my 4th, 6th, 7th, and 11th round picks for players that helped me win it all last year. Therefore I had to keep Merrifield in the 5th this season. That left me with a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick and just like you I then had to wait until the 8th round for my 4th pick in the draft.

I ranked some guys a little differently than you did but we had almost identical players available in the top 3 rounds. Trout, Betts, Arenado, JD, Lindor, Scherzer, DeGrom, Sale, Machado, Altuve, Harper, Goldy, Freeman, Blackmon, Kluber, Bryant, Rizzo, Stanton, Cole and Correa. 

I had the option to pick my draft position as well after winning the league last year and I took 1st overall. My thought behind this is I wanted the best player available at the turn of the 2nd/3rd round and it doesn't hurt that in doing so I get Trout as well. I entered the draft knowing I didn't need to take pitching early with my two keepers and Acuna and Trout are a great start to building your offense around.

So I went Trout, then the rest of the 1st round went as follows. Betts, Arenado, JD, Scherzer, DeGrom, Harper, Lindor, Goldy, and Sale. The second round then went Cole, Machado, Freeman, Kluber, Stanton, Altuve, Bryant, Blackmon, and Rizzo right before me. 

I was really hoping Rizzo would fall to me due to the drop off in 1B especially since 5 other 1B in my league were being kept. I didn't like some of the other guys that were available to me that I'd have to reach for in order to get them before my 8th round pick so I went with Correa at pick 20 then took Votto, who I strongly believe will have a bounceback year, at pick 21. I also didn't want to miss out on one of the top 1B as I mentioned. 

In your situation I would go with the 1st overall pick and use Trout and Acuna as a base to build your offense. That's basically a lock for 60+ HRs, 45-50 SBs, 180-200 runs, 175-190 RBIs and a very good OBP (assuming that's one of your 9 offensive cats). Then at the turn, since you don't have 2 top pitching keepers but Clevinger should be a great #2, I would take 1 SP here. After that I would go with another bat but my preference in H2H the last few years is to not invest a lot in pitching on draft day. I like to play the wire seeking out elite K/BB guys and combine multiple elite MRs with them to give me an advantage in ratios and K's. I realize that might be different given you have 9 pitching categories to contend in so I could see going P/P at the turn like you mentioned. Having Syndergaard, Carrasco, and Clevinger would be a great start to your rotation and you can certainly make up some ground with your bats in rounds 8-10. 

I hope this is helpful. Here's a link I just posted with my team I described above asking how I did in my draft. Take a look as I think it'll give you a good idea of what you can do even with those early picks not being there. 

EDIT: I wanted to note that I really toyed around with the idea of taking one of the 4-6 picks but I didn't like what would be available to me in the 3rd round as much as I did when I took the top pick. 

Edited by BostonCajun

23 hours ago, Heretic said:

100% agree with this