Sidearmer

Kyle Schwarber 2019 Outlook

26 year old power hitter leading off for the cubs deserves no love???

I have added him in a couple leagues. I like what we’re getting from him leading off. Moving him to the top has probably giving him a opportunity to regain his confidence again. Get on base and let Bryant, Rizz and Baez get you in. Pretty simple right. If he starts stealing bases that would be pretty nice. I’m not holding out hope for steals buy am ready for him to get hot with the weather.  

A look at the superficial stats of schwarber and the results this year are indicative of a mediocre player not living up to the godlike performances schwarber had in the minor leagues. However, a deeper dive into schwarber’s underlying metrics points to a player on the cusp of making some noise.

Schwarber currently has a top 9% exit velocity at 92.1% which is the highest exit velocity he has posted since 2016. His hard hit rate, per baseball savant, is top 7% which is his highest hard hit rate since 2016.  

Schwarber’s batted ball profile looks beautiful with a 21% LD 38.4%GB and 40.2%FB. His spray charts show that he has not been as pull heavy as he has been in years past with a 41.7%Pull 28.7% Cent and 29.8%Oppo. His .264 Babip is below is career norm of .271 and with his spray chart and batted ball data his average is due for some positive regression.

A look at his plate discipline shows a guy with the best swinging strike rate of his career at 9.4%. This comes with a 10% increase in O-Contact at 64.8%.

Finally, probably most importantly, schwarber has struggled his entire mlb career against lefties. This year, schwarber has a .310 batting average against lefties with a hard hit rate of 63.2%.

Schwarber is batting leadoff for the cubs and I think he is a player that deserves some more attention.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

This guy is putting up some of the best at bats in baseball right now.  Consistently seeing a ton of pitches.  Even in outs and strikeouts he’s battling.  Ever since moving to leadoff things seemed to have clicked.  Most interesting part is even though it’s small sample (34 at bats) he has a .920 OPS vs LHP.  Was kept at leadoff recently vs a lefty and homered.  Joe Maddon seems pretty set on him there.  At Coors next.  If he’s sitting on your wire right now I’d scoop and see what this is all about.

• Like 1

Was coming here to say the exit velocity jumped out at me.  #7 in majors.  Jimmy has a better breakdown a couple posts up.

I've had him in my deep league all season but I was debating cutting him until the past few weeks.  Hope the ride keeps up.

1 minute ago, Sternes said:

Was coming here to say the exit velocity jumped out at me.  #7 in majors.  Jimmy has a better breakdown a couple posts up.

I've had him in my deep league all season but I was debating cutting him until the past few weeks.  Hope the ride keeps up.

At Coors vs 3 RHP coming up.  Don’t make any judgments right after that if you pick him up.  At Dodgers with Kershaw, Hill, Ryu.  That could be ugly.  

Bats leadoff for one of the most potent lineups in baseball...no brainer...I can't believe he is only 25 years old too... Finally getting his shot...and raking....

1 hour ago, dfstout said:

Bats leadoff for one of the most potent lineups in baseball...no brainer...I can't believe he is only 25 years old too... Finally getting his shot...and raking....

If he could somehow hit above .250 he would be top 100

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

If he could somehow hit above .250 he would be top 100

Hitting .248 over the last 30 days.

Hitting .302 over the last 14 days.

Hitting .400 over the last 7 days.

tenor.gif

Edited by Sternes
  • Like 1

He is like Cesar Hernandez...leads off on a great offense with a decent obp yet the counting stats are not there. You would expect both of these guys to be at 45+ runs. They are allergic to counting stats

1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

He is like Cesar Hernandez...leads off on a great offense with a decent obp yet the counting stats are not there. You would expect both of these guys to be at 45+ runs. They are allergic to counting stats

He's been leading off since May 16th, and in the past 30 days has had 22-9-18. Lolwut