BostonCajun

Matt Strahm 2019 Outlook

21 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Would be nice for Strahm to turn out to be this years Blake Snell. 

Or maybe last year's Blake Snell was really this year's Matt Strahm. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Minnesota_Jack said:

Or maybe last year's Blake Snell was really this year's Matt Strahm. 

Time is a flat circle

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, clarkevii said:

giphy.gif

Who is dropping him tonight?

I’m gonna wait for an explanation. Maybe an injury? He actually got a lot of guys to 0-2,but had nothing to put them away with.  He was throwing like 89.  If he can set the batters up for what could presumably be a strikeout,there’s potential,value here.  Is it an absolute sit though.

Posted (edited)

There is serious discussion about bailing on him after two-plus innings in his first start on April 1?!

Not to mention the ump refused to call any high strikes for him.

Edited by BMcP

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

There is serious discussion about bailing on him after two-plus innings in his first start on April 1?!

When you score negative 12 (if he takes the lost) and you walk the pitcher. I don't care if he's the next Walter Johnson. Yep, I'm not happy a little bit! I don't like losing. Pardon me, I know it happens to the best.

Edited by Z06vette

1 minute ago, Z06vette said:

When you score negative 12 (if he takes the lost) and you walk the pitcher. I don't care if he's the next Walter Johnson. Yep, I'm not happy a little bit! I don't like losing. Pardon me, I know it happens to the best.

Sure, of course I get being upset - I am, too!  But it sounded like people were seriously considering just dropping him after one poor outing in his first start.  If he’s the next WJ, you will definitely regret giving up on him after two innings.

• Like 1

Haven't really followed him since he was in the Royals bullpen a few years ago, but picked him up due to his spring training and watched the game off and on tonight. His fastball seemed to top out at 91, and just couldn't spot any of his pitches. Everything in the zone was up. Not sure if his velo was down or if that's what he'd been averaging as a starter in spring training? 

Posted (edited)

Anything is possible. Hell, it could be nerves. I doubt it. My gut says what many say, don't be fooled by ST stats and performance.  I was very impressed on what he was doing in ST. It is very easy to get caught up in ST fever, just from the excitement that MLB is about to start, if nothing else.

Edited by Z06vette

Only one start but the velocity was a huge red flag. Dude averaged 93 MPH on his FB and 87 MPH on his slider last season and tonight I saw a lot of 88-91 MPH FB and 82-84 MPH sliders that just floated in the strike zone. Easy benching his next outing to see if anything changes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2019 at 11:39 AM, bigbluecrew56 said:

Would be nice for Strahm to turn out to be this years Blake Snell. 

I’d take this years Marco Gonzalez at the point 

• Sad 1

If he's start even a little bit, I'm cutting bait. Happy to give him another go otherwise. I believe in his stuff.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, roscobangs said:

If he's start even a little bit, I'm cutting bait. Happy to give him another go otherwise. I believe in his stuff.

He started today... time to cut him😉

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Sure, of course I get being upset - I am, too!  But it sounded like people were seriously considering just dropping him after one poor outing in his first start.  If he’s the next WJ, you will definitely regret giving up on him after two innings.

There was a lot of interesting pop up SP this week. Depends on league depth.

3 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

There was a lot of interesting pop up SP this week. Depends on league depth.

True - but the question is pretty simple: did you believe in him enough a week or so ago to draft him?  If so, you can’t just give up on him after two innings pitched on a night where he obviously had nothing.  (If he’s hurt, though, he becomes much more expendable.)

6 minutes ago, BMcP said:

True - but the question is pretty simple: did you believe in him enough a week or so ago to draft him?  If so, you can’t just give up on him after two innings pitched on a night where he obviously had nothing.  (If he’s hurt, though, he becomes much more expendable.)

We get a ton of info the first week from all the pitchers making their debuts. Its not the results. Its the reptiriore changes, velocity, stuff, etc etc.  Spring training muddles a lot of those things sometimes.

His stuff wasn't major league caliber tonight. My guess is they DL him or at least skip a start after that debacle. I'm trying not to overreact but it's some of the worst stuff I've seen from a starter so far this season.