Sidearmer

Brad Peacock 2019 Outlook

Josh James out of the picture for the 5th rotation spot. Looks like it'll be between Brad Peacock and Framber Valdez. Peacock is unquestionably the better pitcher but Astros might want to keep him in the pen.

• Like 1

Wow! Having drafted Peacock as a MR who gets me ratios and K's I knew there was a chance he could be in the mix for rotation but I was not expecting it this early. I really don't know much about Valdez to be honest. Is it possibly he gets put in the pen or do they strictly view him as a starter? Also, their pen is already so deep so I don't see it really hurting them if move Peacock, who already did very well in a starters role, out of the pen.

Edited by BostonCajun

7 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Josh James out of the picture for the 5th rotation spot. Looks like it'll be between Brad Peacock and Framber Valdez. Peacock is unquestionably the better pitcher but Astros might want to keep him in the pen.

Why do you think Peacock is better than Framber?  My money is on young Valdez who is a real riser.

14 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Why do you think Peacock is better than Framber?  My money is on young Valdez who is a real riser.

Peacock has consistently delivered great numbers the last few years. Framber had a 4.65 FIP in his cup of coffee which included 24 walks in 37 IP. He also was not impressive in the minors in 2018 either, 4.11 ERA and 1.28 WHIP. I think its safe to say all else equal at this point Peacock is the better pitcher overall. Houston might want Peacock in pen though so it doesn't change the math here.

• Like 2

Peacock continues to pitch well this spring while Valdez continues to struggle. So far Peacock has 8IP with 0 ER, 4 hits, 1 bb, 5 k’s and a .143 baa and Valdez has 9.1IP with 6 ER, 13 hits, 5 bb, 3 k’s and a .333 baa. At this point I’d be shocked if Peacock was not the one to get the final rotation spot over Valdez unless he just collapses the rest of ST. 

Can he win the job completely or is he a placeholder for James when he gets himself stretched out?

Just now, merlin401 said:

Can he win the job completely or is he a placeholder for James when he gets himself stretched out?

Or for Whitley a few months down the road.  Whitley is the one pitcher everyone in baseball is waiting to see called up.  Well Luzardo too but Whitley has been the number one pitching prospect for over a year now.

What are the concerns going from the Pen back into the rotation. He was awesome as a RP, but not sure how effective he will be as a starter. 

21 minutes ago, al3x said:

What are the concerns going from the Pen back into the rotation. He was awesome as a RP, but not sure how effective he will be as a starter. 

"The Cock's" best season was in 2017 where he appeared in 34 games, 21 of which were starts.  The obvious concern is that he has never pitched over 132 innings in a season.  He's a low risk late round flier that I think could give you some great ratios & wins early in roto and could tip a few matchups in H2H.  Stros sure have a great track record with starters. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tsh00k said:

"The Cock's" best season was in 2017 where he appeared in 34 games, 21 of which were starts.  The obvious concern is that he has never pitched over 132 innings in a season.  He's a low risk late round flier that I think could give you some great ratios & wins early in roto and could tip a few matchups in H2H.  Stros sure have a great track record with starters. 

He's also a 2-pitch pitcher so won't be pitching deep into the games. I think that's how it worked out in '17 as well.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:50 PM, tsh00k said:

At the very least that should be enough innings to keep the seat warm for Forrest Whitley's arrival.

Look at this guy

6 2/3 IP 1 ER 2 H 0 BB and 5 Ks

He’s in line for the win tonight against the Rangers

• Like 1

stros apparently moving peacock to the bullpen for the next two weeks...

who takes his spot in the rotation?

Just now, pierceNKC said:

stros apparently moving peacock to the bullpen for the next two weeks...

who takes his spot in the rotation?

No one.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Backdoor Slider said:

No one.

ugh.

41 minutes ago, pierceNKC said:

ugh.

possible drop candidate with this bullpen news.  Can always be picked up for stream after he returns to rotation.  Nobody is rushing to grab him after he looked bad versus Athletics.

1 minute ago, JetsAwesome said:

possible drop candidate with this bullpen news.  Can always be picked up for stream after he returns to rotation.  Nobody is rushing to grab him after he looked bad versus Athletics.

Depends on your league.  No one is remotely dropping him in my dynasty leagues or they would never own him again.  And he has plenty of value still coming out of the bullpen.

Any chance he overtakes McHugh on the rotation depth chart and stays in the rotation all year?

8 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Any chance he overtakes McHugh on the rotation depth chart and stays in the rotation all year?

Whitley is struggling, doubt we see him this year. If Peacock can handle the innings (and of course stays healthy), I think he stays in the rotation all year. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

def drop candidate - he's only had 1 good start - he's gotten pummeled a few times this year already.  He's great from the bullpen though.

Edited by JetsAwesome
  • Like 1