Members_Only_76

2019 Call Up Watch Thread

Apologies if there is already a thread (and/or if this belongs in milb forum).

Who are the guys you are targeting in this years fantasy draft (redraft) that won't start the season in MLB but will soon be called up and could quickly make a fantasy impact?

Not talking guys that might get called up at some point later (mid-season and beyond)...I try to grab those types off the wire a few weeks before potential call-up.

Prior examples like Acuña & Bryant who were expected to come up a few weeks after opening day.

Cheers.

[Thread moved from Baseball Talk and re-christened as the 2019 call up watch thread.  As a reminder: this thread is for discussion of imminent call-ups from MiLB.  Speculation is fine, credible reports are great, but please take any detailed discussion of the players involved to their MiLB thread and reserve this thread for discussion of guys who are about ready to join the show.]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Some of the obvious guys that look like they will be called up after the 2 weeks of service time passes:

Vlad Guerrero Jr.

Pete Alonso (chance to make the team to start)

Eloy Jimenez

Nick Senzel (chance to make the team to start)

• Like 2

Might as well rename this this Vlad Jr. Call Up thread.

But really we're talking about guys here that would be held down in the minors in order to manipulate with a player's service time in the big leagues. And the only other relevant player that I can think of is Eloy. Most other prospects will either start on the year in the big leagues or would have to play their way onto a big league roster (i.e. would fall into your waiver wire category).

Posted (edited)

curious who will hold more value in redraft h2h luzardo vs alex reyes. could also add in urias but you wont have to stash urias. think luzardo and reyes will be drafted in most leagues. I took luzardo over reyes

love senzel value right now as well

Edited by colepenhagen

22 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

curious who will hold more value in redraft h2h luzardo vs alex reyes. could also add in urias but you wont have to stash urias. think luzardo and reyes will be drafted in most leagues. I took luzardo over reyes

love senzel value right now as well

I think I would have to consider Chris Paddack to be in the mix of SPs would should be called up this season and could produce quality innings.

• Like 3

How about Fernando Tatis Jr? Shouldn't he be up fairly soon after season starts?

11 minutes ago, avatoot said:

How about Fernando Tatis Jr? Shouldn't he be up fairly soon after season starts?

He has no AAA ABs. Big deal? No, but we're talking about the Padres. I think midseason is where he will be called up at the earliest. SD isn't ready to compete this year.

Jesus Luzardo trying to force the A's hands and put him in the rotation right out of spring

On 3/5/2019 at 4:03 PM, Blood Brother said:

Jesus Luzardo trying to force the A's hands and put him in the rotation right out of spring

No organization is going to break camp with someone like him and give up a full year of control.  That would be totally insane.  That extra year is built into the current rules of baseball and any front office too dumb to not use it should be taken out and drowned.  And this is the organization run by Moneyball Boy himself so no way does Luzardo start right out of spring training.  But he will be up soon enough.

On 3/9/2019 at 3:53 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

No organization is going to break camp with someone like him and give up a full year of control.  That would be totally insane.  That extra year is built into the current rules of baseball and any front office too dumb to not use it should be taken out and drowned.  And this is the organization run by Moneyball Boy himself so no way does Luzardo start right out of spring training.  But he will be up soon enough.

I'd rather wait and see before I make any 100% assertions. I think he has a fair shot at making it.

• Like 1

Keston Hiura is big league ready. If the Brewers didn't sing Moustakas, I think he could've been up in April. The Brewers should compete again and if Hiura can help the lineup he'll be up IMO. That may take an injury to one of Shaw/Moustakas/Augilar though.

Any word on Forrest Whitley? I just saw he was assigned to the minors, with the expectation that he will be up this season.

4 hours ago, ledzep89 said:

Any word on Forrest Whitley? I just saw he was assigned to the minors, with the expectation that he will be up this season.

Whitley has thrown 137.1 innings in his entire minor league career (3 seasons combined) - the talent is real, but there is no chance he'll throw significant innings at the MLB level in 2019. Whether he's dominating AAA or not, he'll get the kid glove treatment for sure, especially with so many other options available for a rotation spot.

7 hours ago, Dark One said:

Whitley has thrown 137.1 innings in his entire minor league career (3 seasons combined) - the talent is real, but there is no chance he'll throw significant innings at the MLB level in 2019. Whether he's dominating AAA or not, he'll get the kid glove treatment for sure, especially with so many other options available for a rotation spot.

Most predictions have him coming up by mid-season so yeah I think he will throw significant innings this season unless Peacock/James are so lights out they don't need him at all.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Most predictions have him coming up by mid-season so yeah I think he will throw significant innings this season unless Peacock/James are so lights out they don't need him at all.

I don't think he'll throw significant innings this season in general. He still needs to build up his arm strength to be able to throw 150+ innings in any given season. It's possible they could use him as a reliever (or as a "starter" the way Tampa Bay does) down the stretch, but regardless, I don't think his overall innings pitched count will be significant.

8 hours ago, olivermookie said:

Any idea on Willie Calhoun coming back? Been waiting for years for him.

They gave him every opportunity to win the job this spring and he didn't hit.  He's in the best shape of his life, but he'll have to produce in AAA and await an injury or someone to fail for the big club.  Could be 2-3 weeks, could be 2-3 months.  This isn't about service time.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, tuesdays said:

I'm sure I'm not alone in seeking this year's Juan Soto. However, I am not holding my breath.

The people who are looking for this year's Mike Trout since Mike Trout's 2012 are also still waiting. Mookie was close I guess.

8 hours ago, tuesdays said:

I'm sure I'm not alone in seeking this year's Juan Soto. However, I am not holding my breath.

As far as players not drafted in most redraft leagues who could get called up and make an immediate impact this year, I think we're more likely to see a pitcher this year than a batter. But you never know.  That's why this thread is so clutch every year.

On 3/25/2019 at 4:13 AM, tuesdays said:

No doubt we’re all looking, but to come from A ball to ROY votes in a single year probably isn’t gonna happen. Just finding someone his age putting up his wRC+ in A ball is tough. E.Montero looks to be the closest, but he was older with lesser results. 

• Thanks 1