CrypTviLL

Ketel Marte 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 hour ago, swfcdan said:

Top 2nd sacker in the game now?

I would say yes.  For most of the second half at least, it's been between Marte, Merrifield, and Villar.  With Merrifield running less this season, I would knock him out.  Villar is giving him a run for his money (pun intended), but I'd still put Marte ahead of him because of Marte's across the board dominance over him in everything but SBs and Runs.  One could argue LeMahieu deserves to be mentioned as well, but I have a real hard time believing this isn't a fluky career year.

On 9/9/2019 at 7:12 AM, swfcdan said:

Top 2nd sacker in the game now?

Is there any worry about him playing CF and not 2nd base as early as next year. 

I haven't followed his day to day, but I read where they played him at 2nd rather than CF when his hammie was hurting. Sounded like they preferred his defense in CF over 2B. They guy is a 2nd round pick at next year at 2B. But if he only plays OF next year he won't be 2B eligible in 2021, taking some shine off his keeper upside in shallow leagues. 

14 minutes ago, Bigfische said:

Anything new here? Do we think he's done for 2019?

Probably, they really have no reason to play him. Last night's loss to the Marlins eliminated any faint hope of the playoffs they had.

On 9/10/2019 at 12:12 PM, sox311 said:

Is there any worry about him playing CF and not 2nd base as early as next year. 

I haven't followed his day to day, but I read where they played him at 2nd rather than CF when his hammie was hurting. Sounded like they preferred his defense in CF over 2B. They guy is a 2nd round pick at next year at 2B. But if he only plays OF next year he won't be 2B eligible in 2021, taking some shine off his keeper upside in shallow leagues.

Funny as I tend to think of him as basically just a CFer because that is where he plays all the time on my fantasy team.

He "technically" (per Luvello) was named the full time CFer at the start of this season because they needed a full time CF and had another qualified 2B guy so that is his "official" regular, everyday position now.  But he still gets more than enough time at 2B to easily qualify in all leagues for next year and will probably get enough next year for 2021.

So far the 2019 starts (appearances) at:

CF - 89 (96)

2B - 45 (83)

SS - 5 (11)

The huge difference between starts and appearances at 2B suggests that Luvello is using the stupid non-DH NL need for subbing in a way to use some bench OFer in double switches then moving Marte into 2B.  But no matter, he re-qualifies for 2B for 2020 out of the gate on every single fantasy platform you can imagine even by starts alone.

The 5 starts or 10 appearances gives Marte at least one more year at SS for Yahoo users which is icing on the cake.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

MRI came up with inflammation of the lower back. He's going in for more test but it's possible his season could be over. 

Let's take a moment to acknowledge what an incredible season he had.

should finish 4th in MVP voting

• Like 1