joebaker23

Leonard Fournette 2019 Outlook

Rumors swirling about Jags putting Carlos Hyde on the trading block. If the Jags can bring in a new QB I think that makes Fournette’s outlook even better. Any thoughts or expectations for Fournette for this upcoming season? Think his value is great at his current ADP.

Foles will be the QB - definite upgrade.  Only question really for him is health, which is for anyone to guess.

Posted (edited)

Great when healthy. That's all there is to it. He's gotta put a whole season together. Now or never.  

Foles signing helps and the coaches said they want him on the field for every play. His reception count wasn't bad last year. Not just a pounder. 

Edited by Lord_Varys

John DeFilippo is the new offense coordinator, so that is something to monitor. Cook seemed to explode after he left. Foles will be an upgrade for the team, but the draft will tell if they draft a rb or not.

11 hours ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

John DeFilippo is the new offense coordinator, so that is something to monitor. Cook seemed to explode after he left. Foles will be an upgrade for the team, but the draft will tell if they draft a rb or not.

Filippo was pretty pass happy, no doubt.  I wonder how much the Jaguars HC and GM and personnel are going to change his tendencies.  I'd bet he's a little more balanced in Jacksonville.

If they truly intend to play him on every down, I struggle to see why.   For a guy that's had issues staying healthy, they want to wear him out?   I get not wanting Hyde after he had an awful year, but there has to be another back in this mix.    

Foles is probably the best possible QB for Fournette, and the franchise though.   The wheels were coming off at the end of last year.  Foles is probably the best available QB, rookie or otherwise, to come in and make a passing game flow right off the bat.   They need to win and win early or I think we'll see players quitting on the coach and perhaps a midseason firing/offseason refurb.   

Fournette optimists: Where is he in your RB rankings?   I'm probably out myself (had him last year) but the price could make me reconsider.

17 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Fournette optimists: Where is he in your RB rankings?   I'm probably out myself (had him last year) but the price could make me reconsider.

I've got him in a tier with DJ, Michel, and Cook, as a mid-2nd round player, my RB14 right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Who is drafting him ahead of Derrick Henry?

That’s a coin flip for me. Both of them are neck and neck in my personal rankings of RBs.

23 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

I've got him in a tier with DJ, Michel, and Cook, as a mid-2nd round player, my RB14 right now.

I’d take all 3 of those guys over Fournette.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, joebaker23 said:

That's fair.  Then there's a group after of Jones, Kerryon, Guice, Henry, and I wouldn't take any ahead of Fournette.  That's why I have them in a tier.

Side note, I don't understand why Cook is consensus ahead of Fournette.  He's missed more games than Fournette has, has a worse OL, is less of an athlete...  

3 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

That's fair.  Then there's a group after of Jones, Kerryon, Guice, Henry, and I wouldn't take any ahead of Fournette.  That's why I have them in a tier.

Side note, I don't understand why Cook is consensus ahead of Fournette.  He's missed more games than Fournette has, has a worse OL, is less of an athlete...  

Have you seen Cook when healthy? He explodes off the line. He is a better pass catcher than Firnette and Mike Zimmer was pissed last year that they did not run the ball more. I think that means more useage for Cook. Cook looks like a more explosive athlete than fournette. He is faster, catches the ball better and has better lateral agility, ability to jump cut and accelerate better than Firnette and I think latavius Murray is gone. I think people shy away from cook based on last year's useage and his recent acl recovery but as we well know the 2nd year after an acl repair is when the player starts to develop more confidence in the knee and starts playing like his old self again. 

That and Firnette is a head case, if playing for substantial money in fantasy leagues I'd take cook and Henry over Firnette.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Have you seen Cook when healthy?

Yeah, but have you seen Fournette when healthy?

We don't know how good a receiver Fournette is.  Cook's undoubtedly better, but does that mean Fournette can't catch 60 balls?  He caught 22 in 8 games last year, and several of those games were cut short.  Fournette's raking in several more touchdowns too.

Both these guys went in the same year, separated by about a round.  Everyone knew Dalvin Cook was a better receiver back then.  But they still went a round apart.  Why?  What has happened to either player that's changed the evaluation?

Not picking on you, DHC, just arguing the other side.

18 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Cook looks like a more explosive athlete than fournette. He is faster,

By the way, these things are not true ^^.

Cook has better agility, and that's it, as far as athleticism goes.  Fournette's faster, stronger, more powerful through contact.  His agility isn't bad either.

Edited by Lord_Varys

He's not reliable enough to draft in the first 3 rounds which is probably where you'll have to draft him. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, P@ckersFan said:

He's not reliable enough to draft in the first 3 rounds which is probably where you'll have to draft him. 

Looks that way, at least at the moment.   Tough sell for me there indeed.  In auction, I think he sneaks into at least the high 20's, probably over 30, and in that case, he might be ok in that range, but I'd prefer a guy 7-10 bucks cheaper as my RB2.   

Again ...  Fournette's not reliable enough to draft in the first 3 rounds, but Dalvin Cook is?  Fournette had a hamstring last year, completely unrelated to the foot issues of his past.

2 hours ago, joebaker23 said:

There are probably 15-20 RBs I'd pick before him. I prefer my RBs not have chronic foot issues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

Yeah, but have you seen Fournette when healthy?

We don't know how good a receiver Fournette is.  Cook's undoubtedly better, but does that mean Fournette can't catch 60 balls?  He caught 22 in 8 games last year, and several of those games were cut short.  Fournette's raking in several more touchdowns too.

Both these guys went in the same year, separated by about a round.  Everyone knew Dalvin Cook was a better receiver back then.  But they still went a round apart.  Why?  What has happened to either player that's changed the evaluation?

Not picking on you, DHC, just arguing the other side.

By the way, these things are not true ^^.

Cook has better agility, and that's it, as far as athleticism goes.  Fournette's faster, stronger, more powerful through contact.  His agility isn't bad either.

Cook was 4.49 at the combine and fournette was 4.51.

Cook ran 4.43 at his pro day.

He has a 20 yard split equal to John Ross at 2.63. Cook is explosive in the first 20 yards. 

Fournette is 4.5 guy and that is good he starts fast with a 10 yd split of 1.59, same as cook. 20 yd split he was at 2.65 and finished with a 4.51.  cook went 10 in 1.59 seconds, hit 20 at 2.63 and had a final of 4.49. cook exploded and kept increasing speed.

This in itself means little but Cook was GPS tracked as the fastest player while wearing pads at FSU by Jimbo Fisher. That's impressive.

Speed / Acceleration

• Sufficient long speed to outrun defenders. Angle-changing speed. Elite acceleration ensures consistent big-play potential - PFF
  • Has run-away gear around the corner he keeps tucked away for special occasions. - Lance Zierlein
  • He has the straight-line speed to outrun most and gets from 0 to 60 as quickly as any back in the country. - Drafttek
  • Flashes a fifth gear once he hits the second level to breeze past defenders - 10 career runs of 50+ yards. - Dane Brugler

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/5/1/15501640/a-closer-look-at-dalvin-cook

Fournette might have more strength but I think cook is much more agile and is indeed faster than fournette with the ability to explode out of his cuts and increase speed. Cook has excellent receiving skills and grades out as a pass blocker at over 92 Percent. 

It is fair to question whether cook is healthy cause he has yet to play a full season but I'd rather take a chance on cook who hasn't been suspended by his team for attitude problems.

Fournette has lingering foot issues, an attitude that can get him in trouble, not the best teammate, a hamstring that could flare up and he has always been soft since his days at LSU.

54 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Cook was 4.49 at the combine and fournette was 4.51.

Cook ran 4.43 at his pro day.

He has a 20 yard split equal to John Ross at 2.63. Cook is explosive in the first 20 yards. 

Fournette is 4.5 guy and that is good he starts fast with a 10 yd split of 1.59, same as cook. 20 yd split he was at 2.65 and finished with a 4.51.  cook went 10 in 1.59 seconds, hit 20 at 2.63 and had a final of 4.49. cook exploded and kept increasing speed.

This in itself means little but Cook was GPS tracked as the fastest player while wearing pads at FSU by Jimbo Fisher. That's impressive.

Speed / Acceleration

• Sufficient long speed to outrun defenders. Angle-changing speed. Elite acceleration ensures consistent big-play potential - PFF
  • Has run-away gear around the corner he keeps tucked away for special occasions. - Lance Zierlein
  • He has the straight-line speed to outrun most and gets from 0 to 60 as quickly as any back in the country. - Drafttek
  • Flashes a fifth gear once he hits the second level to breeze past defenders - 10 career runs of 50+ yards. - Dane Brugler

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/5/1/15501640/a-closer-look-at-dalvin-cook

Fournette might have more strength but I think cook is much more agile and is indeed faster than fournette with the ability to explode out of his cuts and increase speed. Cook has excellent receiving skills and grades out as a pass blocker at over 92 Percent. 

It is fair to question whether cook is healthy cause he has yet to play a full season but I'd rather take a chance on cook who hasn't been suspended by his team for attitude problems.

Fournette has lingering foot issues, an attitude that can get him in trouble, not the best teammate, a hamstring that could flare up and he has always been soft since his days at LSU.

Sweat ran faster than both those dudes at 260. Crazy.

4 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Sweat ran faster than both those dudes at 260. Crazy.

It’s a wild time - if you can, I’d suggest checking in, sir!

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:40 AM, P@ckersFan said:

wasn't he a top 10 back as a rookie despite missing 3 games?

22 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

wasn't he a top 10 back as a rookie despite missing 3 games?

268 carries for 1,040 yards and 9 TDs. 3.9 YPC.

Has a career of 3.7 YPC. That is yucky.

On 3/4/2019 at 9:50 AM, joebaker23 said:

Without hesitation. Add Henry to the list too.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:34 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

268 carries for 1,040 yards and 9 TDs. 3.9 YPC.

Has a career of 3.7 YPC. That is yucky.

Yes, that's what happens when your passing game is non-existent and your QB can't throw deep.