Sign in to follow this  
CrypTviLL

Carlos Carrasco 2019 Outlook

On 5/25/2019 at 8:44 PM, summersoff7 said:

when is this guy going to be reliable?

On 5/25/2019 at 9:06 PM, summersoff7 said:

My God.  TRASHHHHHHHHHHH!

4 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

when did this guy become complete waiver wire trash?

I feel like I am watching summersoff7's personal long fantasy day's journey into night.  Yep, Carrasco will do that to you.  Heh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just wonderful, hope he gets himself taken care of, certainly not good  news for anyone.

Guess it buys Plesac even more rope but yikes is this turning into a disaster of a year for Cleveland.  

Brutal news for the Tribe and fantasy owners.  Have to wonder if CLE goes into full-on sell mode to try to steer into the curve and ignite a quick rebuild.  Bad timing with Ramirez and Bauer scuffling as well, but the track record should get someone to pay for ~80% of their peak performance, especially for Bauer.

Just now, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Blood condition? Anyone have an my guesses as to what this might be?

Could mean a massive range of things unfortunately. 

22 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Could mean a massive range of things unfortunately. 

Well we have a clue given based on the symptoms described...feeling lethargic

36 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Just wonderful, hope he gets himself taken care of, certainly not good  news for anyone.

Well perhaps for us fantasy owners where he can go off into our DL slots for awhile.

Rotoworld:

Indians placed RHP Carlos Carrasco on the 10-day injured list with a non-baseball medical condition.

Per a press release from the Indians, Carrasco "was recently diagnosed with a blood condition after several weeks of feeling lethargic" and "will step away from baseball activities to explore the optimal treatment and recovery options." It's another tough blow for the Indians, who have fallen way behind the Twins in the American League Central standings. Carrasco had been scheduled to start against Minnesota on Wednesday; it will now be a bullpen game, with Tyler Clippard serving as the Indians' opener.

Jun 5, 2019, 2:41 PM ET

Still no details as to what it is.

2 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Well we have a clue given based on the symptoms described...feeling lethargic

Pretty much anything that affects your blood cell counts can make you feel lethargic.  And unfortunately the things that can cause that range from bone marrow diseases, cancers, blood cell membrane disorders, metabolic diseases, viruses both terrifying and common-coldesque, autoimmune processes, vitamin deficiencies etc etc.  Based on the press release they're still muddling through the details.  We're probably going to be in the dark for awhile unless Carlos and his family decide to release more info.

This goes beyond baseball and it sounds like it could be life threatening. I hope he will be ok.

• Like 2

Get well CC. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Pretty much anything that affects your blood cell counts can make you feel lethargic.  And unfortunately the things that can cause that range from bone marrow diseases, cancers, blood cell membrane disorders, metabolic diseases, viruses both terrifying and common-coldesque, autoimmune processes, vitamin deficiencies etc etc.  Based on the press release they're still muddling through the details.  We're probably going to be in the dark for awhile unless Carlos and his family decide to release more info.

Ok another clue: the club expects he will return this season 

Now I know we can’t take that word for word but it does rule out certain conditions that would be career threatening at least 

This sounds pretty ominous. 

Fantasy baseball is serious business and all, but this puts it in perspective.  

This is much more than baseball and fantasy. I wish him the best in his speedy recovery and he gets the right treatment going forward.

• Confused 1

We may not know any details for a few days.  A simple blood test may have detected the problem, but more intensive tests (bone marrow) may be required to determine the exact type and severity of disease.  

1 hour ago, terminator10 said:

Ok another clue: the club expects he will return this season 

Now I know we can’t take that word for word but it does rule out certain conditions that would be career threatening at least 

That may also come down to if they know what they're dealing with now or just had some red flags pop up on a preliminary test and are doing more digging.  Here's hoping it's truly something that they can sort out soon.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

That may also come down to if they know what they're dealing with now or just had some red flags pop up on a preliminary test and are doing more digging.  Here's hoping it's truly something that they can sort out soon.

I think they already know whats up

1) Usually when a club or organization is unsure they will not say "Will be back this season".

2) It was noted the family knows the condition and wanted to keep the details discreet

9 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

I think they already know whats up

1) Usually when a club or organization is unsure they will not say "Will be back this season".

2) It was noted the family knows the condition and wanted to keep the details discreet

Counterpoint: for more basic stuff like vitamin deficiency you don't really have to "explore optimal treatment and recovery options"

And it doesn't expressly say that the family knows the condition unless I missed something.  It just said that they would relay the details of the treatment and recovery options at their own discretion.

But you're right, the fact that mention they hope he's back this year (unless they're really tactless) suggests they don't have any major red flags yet at least.  Here's hoping.

13 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

And it doesn't expressly say that the family knows the condition unless I missed something.

image.png.5c98331658f7f984dd9cba700748a056.png

That wording suggests to me that Carrasco and his doctors know what the condition is but are choosing not to say.  If he's been diagnosed with a condition, then they know what the diagnosis is.  #NotADoctorAndDidNotEvenStayAtAHolidayInnExpressLastNight

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Counterpoint: for more basic stuff like vitamin deficiency you don't really have to "explore optimal treatment and recovery options"

And it doesn't expressly say that the family knows the condition unless I missed something.  It just said that they would relay the details of the treatment and recovery options at their own discretion.

But you're right, the fact that mention they hope he's back this year (unless they're really tactless) suggests they don't have any major red flags yet at least.  Here's hoping.

Yeah I agree its nothing basic. We can rule that out based on clues given too.

But think about it, you actually think this information was known today? He was scheduled to pitch today and if he didn't the media would ask questions so they had to announce something today. But it's highly likely they already knew what was going on for at least days. It's not like they just found out and made announcements today.

So the fact is, they probably already have a good idea what is going on or at least had days to look at it. And from there they decided he needed "optimal treatment and recovery options" but "expected to come back sometime this year". Nothing basic, but nothing career/life threatening either I assume.

What are the possibilities?

Edited by terminator10

Hoping for a speedy recovery for cookie here. He's a great guy and this news really sucks.

Could be anything from a chronic infection to a neoplastic process to autoimmune to hematologic (eg. anemia, clotting disorder) to metabolic to drug/medication related.  Of a variation or combination of the above. Although if neoplastic, probably unlikely they'd say back this year so definitively, so i'd think that less likely.