Carlos Carrasco 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, gbill2004 said:

What are you guys doing with him?

DL him...

Not the least bit surprising. It's something every year with this guy 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TC84 said:

Not the least bit surprising. It's something every year with this guy 

I mean, this is a little bit surprising. 

• Like 1

Do we have any idea when there will be an update?  I’m not sure if it’s more likely to recover from a blood disorder or a ruptured testicle.

1 hour ago, Mongeese said:

Do we have any idea when there will be an update?  I’m not sure if it’s more likely to recover from a blood disorder or a ruptured testicle.

No update yet. No sure why they don't just come out with it. My guess is sickle cell anemia. It's common in people of African and Central/South American decent.

23 minutes ago, Fielder1831 said:

Not liking this wait... hopefully soon.

Wow you guys have zero patience. It's been like 5 days. I'm expecting at minimum a few weeks. 

2 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Wow you guys have zero patience. It's been like 5 days. I'm expecting at minimum a few weeks. 

My bad bud, not checking the paper for updates. We are in a era where info moves quickly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

A few weeks to return or a few weeks until they say what's wrong? 

22 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

When do we drop him?

No right answer.  Clearly this is a very serious situation as others have alluded to in the information world we live in.  With no intel, even a peep thus far, conventional wisdom likely says this is something major.  Now that’s just reading tea leaves with no info.  Anything anyone says is speculation.  Depending on roster size and what not generally is best way to weigh keeping him or cutting loose.

3 minutes ago, Mongeese said:

No news is good news?   Doubtful.

Dunno but it's annoying as heck nonetheless lol. Definitely wishing him the best in real life and hope he gets well and back soon. Just a pain this season with only 2 DL spots and having someone hit the DL with no indications what any time frames may be. We've heard the team believes he will be back this season, but that could vary widely of course.

I might if trying to work out some trades try to adding him to the mix. Other owners might more patient than some of us and the past success and name value could add some weight to a trade as a throw in. If he comes back very late in the season and takes time to get going, he wasn't that great this year so far, might not be much value to be had ROS. He could come back sooner also hopefully however. Maybe if over whatever condition he has or getting treatments to make him feel better, could help teams this year. Not sure I'm overly optimistic he's going to be a difference maker ROS though. Which is sad, as he's going through a terrible real life situation and sucks we're talking about this unfortunate health condition and not his last/next start.

I tried googling for rumors about what his condition is and the only thing I could turn up was an article back on June 5th with nothing concrete but some interesting phrasing:

By TOM WITHERS AP Sports Writer

CLEVELAND (AP) — Indians starting pitcher Carlos Carrasco will be sidelined indefinitely because of a recently diagnosed blood condition.

The team said Carrasco had been feeling lethargic for weeks, and he is taking a leave of absence to "explore the optimal treatment and recovery options." Carrasco had been scheduled to start Wednesday's game against Minnesota before he was placed on the injured list.

Carrasco is the third Indians starter sidelined this season. Two-time Cy Young winner Corey Kluber has been out for more than month with a broken right arm, and Mike Clevinger is nearing a return after being out since early April with a strained back muscle.

The Indians gave no specifics on Carrasco's disorder and said any further details will be released at the discretion of him and his family.

Three-time defending AL Central champions, the Indians, who entered Wednesday 10½ games behind first-place Minnesota, don't know when the 32-year-old Carrasco will return. However they said in a statement that they expect the right-hander back at some point this season.

Manager Terry Francona said Carrasco was included in a team meeting before Tuesday's game where his situation was discussed.

"He had been feeling sluggish, and because he's had some heart issues in the past, he had some blood tests that led to this conclusion," Francona said, referring to a non-invasive surgery Carrasco underwent for an irregular heartbeat in October 2014.

Second baseman Jason Kipnis offered his support for Carrasco, his teammate since 2011.

"He knows that we're going to be with him every step away of the way," Kipnis said. "He's not in this alone."?

Kipnis spoke to Carrasco on Monday night, and said the usually happy-go-lucky pitcher is understandably nervous.

"I don't know if he had all the information," Kipnis said. "There's a couple of words in it that would cause anyone to not know how to handle it and almost freeze up and be like, what does this mean? I think the more he does research on it and the more people walk him through the process. I immediately Googled it and started asking him questions about what I was finding. He's just nervous because right now there's so much unknown.

"He'll get through this with the help of everybody. I know the city will be very supportive of him. Every time anyone sees him they will wish him well and ask him how he's doing. I'm sure he'll still have a big smile on his face. He's always in a good mood."   ...

What I got out of it was that whatever the condition is it isn't so common in that Kipnis had to go google up info and Carrasco seems to be taking his condition very seriously.  That and the fact that "there is so much unknown" is a little upsetting.

And saying stuff like "we will be with him every step of the way" and "he will get through this with the help of everyone" etc kind of implies it isn't something minor.

There is mention of a 2014 irregular heartbeat issue but I don't know if that is remotely related to this.  Franconia mentioned it more like because he had a problem with it in the past and because he was sluggish now it lead to checking him out medically in general terms.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, mehtavg2000 said:

I can't think of a single league format where I would actually trade for him right now.

No one would straight up of course, but in a package deal still not a bad DL stash if one thinks he'll make a impact ROS. If the deal is just about set as is and you throw him in on top of it, for someone with a DL spot and hopeful or patient to wait out his absence, can't hurt to add some additional potential value. 

3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I tried googling for rumors about what his condition is and the only thing I could turn up was an article back on June 5th with nothing concrete but some interesting phrasing:

What I got out of it was that whatever the condition is it isn't so common in that Kipnis had to go google up info and Carrasco seems to be taking his condition very seriously.  That and the fact that "there is so much unknown" is a little upsetting.

And saying stuff like "we will be with him every step of the way" and "he will get through this with the help of everyone" etc kind of implies it isn't something minor.

There is mention of a 2014 irregular heartbeat issue but I don't know if that is remotely related to this.  Franconia mentioned it more like because he had a problem with it in the past and because he was sluggish now it lead to checking him out medically in general terms.

Sounds like a scary situation he's going through, prayers out to him and his family. Hopefully he can get better, come back strong and play the game he loves again at the high level he's used to.  

• Like 1

Tough not having any updates. In redrafts if he's only coming back for who knows, maybe a month or so might make sense to drop. Especially if you're clogged with other DL players and not enough room for them. 

Any of you redraft owners dropping or continuing to hold ?

He wasn't pitching that great before the injury either. Whenever he may be cleared to resume activities, could take quite some time to get back in form considering what he's going through. On the fence here myself.

If I have to put someone on the IL, I'll drop him.  Holding for news until then.

• Like 1

I have 1 redraft share and will hang on to the news drops with a more exact timeline (but this is a 16 team points league, where pitching is beyond coveted)...

My realistic expectation is that he gets whatever is happening under control and can ramp back up around early Aug with a mini-ST and make starts by late Aug and throughout Sept...that might be overtly hopeful but I guess we will find out more in the coming weeks, perhaps?

• Like 1

Needed the IL spot, so I had to drop. Hope he gets the help he needs.